ANIMUS (graphic novel)
|Date||8 May 2018|
|Page count||224 pages|
|Publisher||First Second Books|
The novel is set in a quiet neighborhood in Kyoto, Japan where, unbeknownst to the general public, children are mysteriously disappearing.
Two elementary school friends, Sayuri and Hisao, slowly come to realize that inauspicious, paranormal forces are at play in the most unlikely of places: the local playground. This playground is haunted by a trapped, snaggled-tooth ghost named Toothless, whose body was buried and never recovered. As Toothless reveals the playground's secrets, Sayuri and Hisao slowly come to realize that the tragic events in their hometown are connected to its supernatural powers. When one of their friends gets hurt, they resolve to exorcise the playground's evil. They set out on a search for Toothless's missing body, in hopes of releasing his spirit.
Themes and motifsEdit
Revoy stated in a podcast interview that ANIMUS is designed as a puzzle.
ANIMUS has received high praise for the quality of its black and white artwork, originality and thematic depth. However, some critics found the plot convoluted and its signature twist perplexing. Paste Magazine highlighted ANIMUS as “[…] a must-read for anyone invested in the next generation of horror hounds” while Kirkus Reviews deemed it “an eerie graphic novel mystery that is bewildering and unnerving in the best way possible.” ANIMUS was distinguished as one of the 20 Best Kids Comics of 2018 and one of the 31 Best Scary Comics For Kids by Paste Magazine. The following year, it was selected by YALSA, a division of the American Library Association, as one of the 2019 Great Graphic Novels for Teens.
- "First Look at First Second's Spring 2018 Graphic Novels". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 9 August 2017.
- "Animus Creator Antoine Revoy Talks Ghost Stories and Growing Up in Japan". Bleeding Cool. Retrieved 25 April 2018.
- "Better Hope Your Fears Stay Buried in ANIMUS". ComicsVerse. Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- "Fictional Frontiers Episode 501: Antoine Revoy – creator of First Second's Animus". Fictional Frontiers. Retrieved 19 April 2018.
- "'Animus' review: Antoine Revoy delivers an eerie tale". Adventures in Poor Taste!. Retrieved 22 May 2018.
- "Animus (First Second) Review". Under the Radar Magazine. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- "Animus, by Antoine Revoy". Booklist Online. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- "Required Reading". Paste Magazine. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- "ANIMUS, by Antoine Revoy". Kirkus Reviews. Retrieved 3 April 2018.
- "The 20 Best Kids Comics of 2018". Paste Magazine. Retrieved 17 December 2018.
- "The 31 Best Scary Comics For Kids (Updated)". Paste Magazine. Retrieved 25 October 2018.
- "2019 Great Graphic Novels for Teens". YALSA. Retrieved 9 February 2019.