This article does not cite any sources. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
AD 71 (LXXI) was a common year starting on Tuesday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Vespasian and Nerva (or, less frequently, year 824 Ab urbe condita). The denomination AD 71 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
|Gregorian calendar||AD 71|
|Ab urbe condita||824|
|Balinese saka calendar||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||庚午年 (Metal Horse)|
2767 or 2707
— to —
辛未年 (Metal Goat)
2768 or 2708
|Coptic calendar||−213 – −212|
|- Vikram Samvat||127–128|
|- Shaka Samvat||N/A|
|- Kali Yuga||3171–3172|
|Iranian calendar||551 BP – 550 BP|
|Islamic calendar||568 BH – 567 BH|
|Julian calendar||AD 71|
|Minguo calendar||1841 before ROC|
|Seleucid era||382/383 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||613–614|
197 or −184 or −956
— to —
198 or −183 or −955
- The Romans establish a fortress at York (Eboracum), as a base for their northern forces. Initially established solely for Legio IX Hispana, it expands later to include public housing, baths and temples.
- Battle of Stanwick: Quintus Petillius Cerialis, governor of Britain, puts down a revolt by the Brigantes.
- Emperors Vespasian and Marcus Cocceius Nerva are Roman Consuls.
- Battle of Treves: Cerialis defeats Claudius Civilis, thus quelling the Batavian rebellion.
- Titus is awarded with a triumph, accompanied by Vespasian and his brother Titus Flavius Domitian. In the parade are Jewish prisoners and treasures of the Temple of Jerusalem, including the Menorah and the Pentateuch. The leader of the Zealots, Simon Bar Giora, is lashed and strangled in the Forum.
- Titus is made praetorian prefect of the Praetorian Guard and receives pro-consular command and also tribunician power, all of which indicates that Vespasian will follow the hereditary tradition of succession.
- Herodium, a Jewish fortress south of Jerusalem, is conquered and destroyed by Legio X Fretensis on their way to Masada.