ABRY Partners is a private equity firm headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts that focuses on investments in media. Since 1989, the firm has completed over $62.0 billion of leveraged transactions and other private equity and mezzanine investments, representing investments in more than 550 properties.
|Private Ownership, Limited liability company|
|Founded||1989 by Andrew Banks and Royce Yudkoff|
Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Products||Investments, private equity funds|
|Total assets||$12.0 billion|
Number of employees
The company's name derives from the initials of its two founders, Andrew Banks and Royce Yudkoff.
Current and previous areas of investment include cable television, publishing, radio and television broadcasting, and other media and communications sectors. Notable past, present, and future investments include Act III Broadcasting, Cygnus Business Media, Nexstar Broadcasting Group, Muzak Holdings, Legendary Pictures, Consolidated Theatres, F+W Media, Language Line, Citadel Broadcasting, Monitronics and RCN Corporation.
ABRY Partners was found in 1989 by Andrew Banks and Royce Yudkoff, two former Bain & Co. alumni. In June 1990, Qintex Entertainment sold its stake in HR Broadcasting Co., which owned two TV stations, to ABRY Communications, an ABRY Partner company.
In October 2010, ABRY Partners acquisition of Outsourced staffing provider 'Comforce Corp' (CFS) for $84.8 million.
Notable past investments include Cygnus Business Media, F+W Media, Muzak Holdings, Legendary Pictures, Consolidated Theatres and Citadel Broadcasting. In addition, Abry has invested in Act III Broadcasting, Atlantic Broadband, B&H Education Kidz Bop, Nexstar Broadcasting Group, and Thomsons Online Benefits
- Colman, Price (May 9, 2007). "PRIVATE EQUITY: SO WHO ARE THESE GUYS?". TVNewsCheck.com. p. 2. Retrieved 5 January 2018.
- "ABRY PARTNERS, INC. Company Profile". Hoover's. Retrieved 20 November 2015.
- Citron, Alan (June 6, 1990). "Qintex Entertainment to Sell Virtually All of Its Assets". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved December 31, 2017.
- "Comforce To Be Bought By ABRY Partners For About $84.8 Mln". RTTNews. 2 November 2011. Archived from the original on 21 November 2015.
- Chehadé, Fadi. "My Transition from ICANN CEO". 17 August 2015. ICANN. Archived from the original on 6 September 2015. Retrieved 17 August 2015.
- "Act III to sell 8 TV Stations" Los Angeles Times, June 22, 1995
- "ABRY and Oak Hill Capital sell Atlantic Broadband to Cogeco Cable".
- "B&H Education - Quad Partners".[permanent dead link]
- "Razor & Tie Buys Back Kidz Bop".
- "Abry to Sell 3.5M Shares of Nexstar Broadcasting".
- "Thomsons Online Benefits Secures Significant Investment to Exploit Global Trend for Benefits Control".