Disney's ABCD 2, also known as Any Body Can Dance 2, is a 2015 Indian 3D dance drama film  directed by Remo D'Souza and produced by Siddharth Roy Kapur under Walt Disney Pictures. The film stars Prabhu Deva, Varun Dhawan, Shraddha Kapoor, Sushant Pujari, Raghav Juyal, Dharmesh Yelande, Punit Pathak and Lauren Gottlieb. It is the sequel to the 2013 film ABCD: Any Body Can Dance. ABCD 2 released on 19 June 2015. The decommissioned warship INS Vikrant was featured as a backdrop behind the dance group's practice area during the first half of the film.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Remo D'Souza|
|Produced by||Siddharth Roy Kapur|
|Story by||Remo D'Souza|
|Cinematography||Vijay Kumar Arora|
|Edited by||Manan Sagar|
|Distributed by||UTV Motion Pictures|
|Box office||est. ₹165 crore|
Being the only film to be wholly owned and distributed by Walt Disney Pictures in India under its own brand, the film explores the career journey of Suresh and Vernon of the "fictitious dance crew" Kings United India, who went on to win the World Hip Hop Dance Championship in San Diego.
Suresh 'Suru' Mukund (Varun Dhawan) wants to be a big dancer to fulfill his mother's wish. Vinita "Vinnie" Sharma (Shraddha Kapoor) wants to be the best hip-hop dancer. Childhood friends from suburban Nalasopara, Mumbai, they form a team and participate in a national level competition Hum Kisi Se Kum Nahin where they are disqualified from the grand finale as their moves are revealed to be copied from the performance act of the Philippine All Stars and the judges term them cheaters. Everyone departs to search for jobs. Suru returns to work in a bar as a waiter, Vinnie rejoins a beauty parlour and Vernon (Sushant Pujari) gets back as a delivery boy where, on and off, they are insulted as cheaters. The departure of angry teammates adds insult to injury, and nothing is set to be corrected.
Suru hopes to remove the negative tag by planning to win a grander hip-hop competition in Las Vegas. One day he watches Vishnu (Prabhudeva), a rogue visitor, prove his dance mettle to a betting visitor in the bar and convinces him repeatedly to be their choreographer. They audition for people and formulate the team. They visit the qualifiers in Bangalore, where they are pre-insulted as cheaters, but manage to win it after Vishnu begs the audience for one last chance for the team. Although things are fine, Suru is broken when Shetty Anna (Murli Sharma), the owner of the bar where he is employed, refuses to provide him financial support extending to Rs. 25 lakhs, something he had earlier publicly promised to Suru at the time of the Hum Kisi Se Kum Nahin finale, and Suru leaves the place, angry at Anna's insulting language for Vinnie. However, Vishnu manages to get the money from Crocxz's (Raghav Juyal) uncle who he convinces, after Suru loses hope when Vishnu gets angry at his inability to arrange team funds. Later they prepare to go to Las Vegas, but Vinod (Punit Pathak), a deaf-mute dancer, learns from Vishnu himself that the latter has ulterior motives to go to Vegas, and, as a matter of fact, he had deliberately impressed Suru and friends to procure a way out for his plan. In Las Vegas they win the qualifiers. Later Vishnu leaves the hotel with team money to meet his son Manu (Jineet Rath), whose mother, Swati (Tisca Chopra) is married to another man and has moved on in life. He talks to Manu and leaves with a contented heart.
In the meantime, Vinnie gets injured due to excessive rehearsal and is replaced by Olive (Lauren Gottlieb), an American girl of partial Indian origin, and Vishnu discovers this while thanking friend Gopi (Ganesh Acharya), who works in a bar-cum-hotel. At the same time, Suru is enraged when he finds Vishnu missing and tries to proceed with jam sessions all on his own, but in vain. Vishnu returns while trying to save the day for Suru from the German team as they get into a fight, later admitting he had made a 'mistake' leaving without permission although he didn't want to lose a family he had yearned to create in years, apologizes, is forgiven by Suru, and the team enters the finals. Across rehearsals, Olive gets close to Suru and a jealous Vinnie tells Suru she loves him. Although Olive has feelings for Suru, an in-person conversation with Vinnie assures Olive that Suru had that inherent charm with nothing to do about his sweetness, and she agrees to continue with the Indian Stunners after Vinnie recovers. The team enters the final, where Vinod's health worsens during a fictitious assemblage and the Indian Stunners end up making this grave mistake in the formation only to fall down, since D (Dharmesh Yelande) knew about Vinod's tuberculosis problem. Everyone has almost given up after the accident, when Vinod tries to encourage Suru, who forgoes the accident and the others return to make the formation with success with Vinod at the bottom. They don't win the competition but win the hearts of millions, with Suru lending a voiceover narrative about his mother's motivational lessons on dance.
- Prabhu Deva as Vishnu
- Varun Dhawan as Suresh "Suru" Mukund
- Shraddha Kapoor as Vinita "Vinnie" Sharma
- Sushant Pujari as Vernon Monteiro
- Lauren Gottlieb as Olive
- Raghav Juyal as Raghav "Crocxz" Singh
- Dharmesh Yelande as "D"
- Punit Pathak as Vinod
- Tisca Chopra as Swati
- Murali Sharma as Shetty Anna
- Pavan Rao as Pavan
- Dipak Salve as Dipak
- Sandip Sable as Sandi
- Pravin Bhosale as Chotu
- Nikhil Kasare as Nikhil
- Prachi Shah as Padmashree Durga Devi, Suru's deceased mother
- Alina Kumar as Mayuri .
- Jineet Rath as Manu, Vishnu's son
- Pooja Batra in a special appearance as Pooja Kohli
- Shashank Khaitan as one of the Bengaluru auditions judges
ABCD 2 was shot in Mumbai, Bangalore and Las Vegas. the shooting was finally over in March 2015. The young-talented French duo Les Twins (Laurent and Larry Bourgeois) were also roped in for a special freestyle dance in the song "Tattoo". Shraddha Kapoor is known to have brought on her 26th birthday on the set of this film with a princess cake.
The film was released by UTV Motion Pictures on 19 June 2015. However, the film's choreographer & director Remo D'Souza wanted to pre-release it on 18 June 2015 due to the beginning of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. He stated, We just come to know that the Holy month of Ramadan starts on 19 June, the day we have scheduled the release of ABCD2. I've been receiving so many emails and messages from my Muslim friends requesting not to release on that day, as they would be unable to go for the film.
Meena Iyre from The Times of India gave it 3 out of 5 stars stating the film raises the bar from its first part. Sukanya Verma of Rediff liked the choreography but thought that "because of its poorly paced beginning, ABCD 2 feels a bit of stretch at 154 minutes." She gave the film 2.5 out of 5 stars. Rajeev Masand of CNN-IBN also gave the film 2.5 out of 5 stars writing that the film "makes up for its amateurish storytelling with its often jaw-dropping set pieces and the sheer hard work of its leads. Varun and Shraddha are so earnest, you're willing to forgive their less-than-convincing histrionics because their dancing – particularly Varun's – is mighty impressive. Both actors hold their own against the professionals without losing face."
The film got a negative review from Shubhra Gupta of The Indian Express who gave it 1.5 out of 5 stars. She wrote "A dance movie needs to electrify. That's missing in this Shraddha Kapoor, Varun Dhawan starrer".
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||22 May 2015|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Zee Music Company|
The soundtrack of ABCD 2 is composed entirely by Jigar Saraiya and Sachin Sanghvi, while the lyrics were written by Mayur Puri, Badshah, Rimi Nique, D. Soldierz and Priya Saraiya. The audio album was released on 22 May 2015. For the year 2015–16, Disney India had decided to sell the music rights of its films to Zee Music Company. The film's soundtrack is the first step in the series.
A reprised, uncredited version of "Vande Mataram" appears during the end credits. The version is crooned by Sachin and Jigar.
All music is composed by Sachin-Jigar.
|1.||"Bezubaan Phir Se"||Mayur Puri||Vishal Dadlani, Anushka Manchanda, Madhav Krishna||4:32|
|2.||"Sun Saathiya"||Priya Saraiya||Priya Saraiya, Divya Kumar||3:38|
|3.||"Chunar"||Mayur Puri||Arijit Singh, Crescendo Vocals by: Divya Kumar||4:29|
|4.||"Happy Birthday"||D Soldierz, Mayur Puri||Varun Dhawan, Sachin-Jigar, D Soldierz||3:05|
|5.||"If You Hold My Hand"||Mayur Puri||Benny Dayal, Extended Cut Vocals: Shefali Alvares, Anushka Manchanda||3:33|
|6.||"Hey Ganaraya"||Mayur Puri||Divya Kumar, Backing Vocals: Rajiv Sundersam, Nikhil Kasarekar||4:52|
|7.||"Happy Hour"||Mayur Puri||Mika Singh||3:44|
|8.||"Naach Meri Jaan"||Rimi Nique, Mayur Puri||Benny Dayal, Shalmali Kholgade, Siddharth Basrur, Rimi Nique||4:04|
|9.||"Tattoo"||Mayur Puri||Shefali Alvares||4:20|
|10.||"Vande Mataram"||Mayur Puri, Badshah||Daler Mehndi, Tanishka Sanghvi, Badshah, Divya Kumar||7:14|
Awards and nominationsEdit
|Year||Award Ceremony||Category||Recipient(s) and nominee(s)||Result||Ref.|
|2015||Mirchi Music Awards||Song of the Year||"Chunar"||Nominated|||
|Album of the Year||Sachin-Jigar, Mayur Puri, Priya Saraiya|
|Male Vocalist of the Year||Arijit Singh - "Chunar"|
|Music Composer of the Year||Sachin-Jigar - "Chunar"|
|Lyricist of the Year||Mayur Puri - "Chunar"|
|Upcoming Female Vocalist of The Year||Shraddha Kapoor - "Bezubaan Phir Se (Unplugged)"|
|Best Song Engineer (Recording & Mixing)||Eric Pillai - "Sun Saathiya"|
|Best Background Score||Sachin-Jigar|
- "ABCD 2 - Movie - Box Office India". Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- Priya, Gupta (13 January 2015). "Varun Dhawan's character in ABCD2 based on the life of India's Got Talent winner Suresh Mukund". Times of India.
- [First look of ABCD 2; Satish Tulimilli, Shraddha Kapoor to groove in Prabhu Deva’s film]. daily.bhaskar.com. Retrieved on 21 July 2015.
- ‘ABCD 2: Varun Dhawan plays Suresh from Fictitious Dance Academy. The Indian Express (4 July 2014). Retrieved on 21 July 2015.
- Shraddha Kapoor injures herself while dancing for ABCD 2 – The Times of India. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com (30 July 2014). Retrieved on 21 July 2015.
- [Varun Dhawan poses before the INS Vikrant battle ship]. Bollywoodnazar.com (20 October 2014). Retrieved on 21 July 2015.
- What was Shraddha Kapoor missing during her 'ABCD 2' shoot? | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis. Dnaindia.com (14 January 2015). Retrieved on 21 July 2015.
- Varun and Shraddha wrap up shooting 'ABCD 2' | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis. Dnaindia.com (7 March 2015). Retrieved on 21 July 2015.
- ABCD 2 review: A true story turned into a humdrum affair : Reviews, News – India Today. Indiatoday.intoday.in (19 June 2015). Retrieved on 16 October 2015.
- Les Twins in Zubaan. The Indian Express (13 June 2014). Retrieved on 16 October 2015.
- "Shraddha Kapoor: Lesser known facts | The Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- Hungama, Bollywood. "ABCD – Any Body Can Dance – 2 2015 Movie News, Wallpapers, Songs & Videos – Bollywood Hungama". www.bollywoodhungama.com. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "Shraddha Kapoor and Varun Dhawan's ABCD 2 not releasing on June 19?". Bollywood Life. Retrieved 19 June 2015.
- "Varun Dhawan and Shraddha Kapoor's ABCD 2 preponed?". DNA India. Retrieved 19 June 2015.
- "ABCD 2 (2015)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 17 August 2016.
- 'Meena Iyre – "ABCD 2 Review: The film raises the bar from its first part"'. Timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved on 21 July 2015.
- 'Sukanya Verma – "ABCD 2 Review: ABCD 2 feels a bit of stretch at 154 minutes."'. Rediff.com (19 June 2015). Retrieved on 21 July 2015.
- 'Rajeev Masand – "ABCD 2 Review: makes up for its amateurish storytelling with its often jaw-dropping set pieces and the sheer hard work of its leads."'. Ibnlive.com. Retrieved on 21 July 2015.
- 'Shubhra Gupta – "ABCD 2 Review: A dance movie needs to electrify."'. Indianexpress.com (20 June 2015). Retrieved on 21 July 2015.
- "ABCD 2 (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)". iTunes.
- "ABCD 2 Songs Lyrics". LYRICSer. Archived from the original on 16 July 2015. Retrieved 15 July 2015.
- "MMA Mirchi Music Awards". MMAMirchiMusicAwards. Retrieved 25 March 2018.
- "MMA Mirchi Music Awards". MMAMirchiMusicAwards. Retrieved 25 March 2018.