A.S. Popov Central Museum of Communications
The A.S. Popov Central Museum of Communications was founded in 1872 and is one of the oldest museums of science and technology in the world. It is located in the historic centre of Saint Petersburg, Russia, near Saint Isaac's Square.
The museum building
|Established||11 September 1872|
|Location||Saint Petersburg, Russia|
|Type||postal & telecommunications museum|
|Key holdings||Russian National Collection of Philately|
|Collections||stamps, documents, devices|
|Director||Alexander I. Burdin (as of 2015)|
|“||…For the purpose of familiarisation of all the telegraph workers and other interested persons with all innovations and improvements in the field of telegraphy, it is proposed to organise a permanent museum in Saint Petersburg, based on objects presented at the Moscow Polytechnic Exhibition…||”|
In 1884, the post office branch was added and the museum was transformed into the Postal and Telegraph Museum.
Thus the creation of the museum collections was set up. In 1945, the museum was named after the Russian scientist and inventor Alexander Stepanovich Popov, who first in the world used radio signals to transmit a message over distance that started an epoch of radio communication.
The museum archives and collections include over 8 million items including:
- documents and items related to the history of post, telegraph and telephone, radio and broadcasting, space communication, and modern means of telecommunications,
- 15,000 apparatuses and technical pieces,
- 50,000 archival documents,
- vast collections of stamps and postal stationery, including 8 million items of the Russian National Collection of Philately,
- 50,000 books and periodicals of the specialised research library.
The museum is situated at the address: 7 Pochtamtskaya Street, Saint Petersburg, 190000, Russia.
- "About museum". About. Saint Petersburg, Russia: The A.S. Popov Central Museum of Communications. Archived from the original on 2015-05-23. Retrieved 2015-05-31.
- "December, 22 in history". RT projects: Russiapedia: On this day: Russia in a click. Moscow: RT.com; Autonomous Nonprofit Organization “TV-Novosti”, Channel “RT TV”. Archived from the original on 2015-06-26. Retrieved 2015-06-26.
- Владинец Н. И. [Vladinets, N. I.] (1977). "Филателия" [Philately]. In Прохоров, А. М. (ed.). Большая советская энциклопедия: в 30 т. (1970–1979) [The Great Soviet Encyclopedia] (in Russian). 27 (Ульяновск – Франкфорт) (3rd ed.). М. [Moscow]: Советская энциклопедия [Soviet Encyclopedia]. Retrieved 2015-06-08.
- Media related to A.S. Popov Central Museum of Communications at Wikimedia Commons