A&M Octone Records
A&M Octone Records was an American record label owned as a joint venture between Universal Music Group and Octone Records. A full-service artist development label, it was founded in 2007 as a merger between Octone and Interscope Geffen A&M's defunct A&M Records label. For its six years of existence, A&M Octone operated music publishing, merchandising, and touring entities, in addition to specializing in recorded music.
|A&M Octone Records|
|Parent company||Universal Music Group|
|Distributor(s)||Interscope Geffen A&M Records (USA)|
Polydor Records (UK)
Universal Music Group (international)
|Country of origin||United States|
|Location||New York City, New York|
In September 2013, Octone initiated its buy/sell rights in the joint venture, resulting in Interscope Geffen A&M purchasing Octone's 50% interest in A&M Octone, with Interscope absorbing and restructuring its artist roster in 2014.
Launched in 2000, Octone Records was founded by CEO/President James Diener and distributed through Sony BMG. After successful signing, release, marketing and promotion on Octone, artists were given the option of upstreaming to RCA Music Group, via a joint-venture between the two companies. Upon launch, Diener and Octone Records were also well known in the music industry for their entrepreneurial private-equity financing model.
In February 2007, Interscope-Geffen-A&M partnered with Octone Records to relaunch the A&M label, headed by James Diener and called A&M/Octone Records with worldwide distribution handled by parent Universal Music Group. The existing Octone roster was transferred to the A&M/Octone label and all new artist signings were made under the A&M/Octone joint venture.
The legal name of the A&M/Octone label was "OctoScope Music, LLC" (d.b.a. A&M/Octone Records), the name derives from the merger of the labels Octone and Interscope. OctoScope Music, LLC was the copyright holder on all A&M/Octone releases. A&M/Octone Records operated from 2007 until 2014.
- James Diener, CEO/president
- David Boxenbaum, general manager/chief operating officer
- Ben Berkman, EVP/head of promotion
- Rome Thomas, senior vice president sales & artist development
- Nina Webb, head of marketing
- Roi Hernandez, head of creative services & electronic A&R
- Yu-Ting Lin, vice president A&R admin & label operations
Former recording artistsEdit
- "Labels - Universal Music". universalmusic.com.
- "Interscope Geffen A&M Acquires Remaining Share of A&M/Octone Records". Billboard.
- Nancy, Hass (April 16, 2007). "Sounds Like Money". Portfolio. Archived from the original on 18 March 2010. Retrieved February 8, 2010.
- Todd, Martens (February 20, 2007). "Interscope Geffen A&M Shifting To Octone". Billboard. Retrieved February 8, 2010.
- "Flyleaf's Kristen May: Ready to Begin (Again)". newreleasetuesday.com.
- A&M/Octone Records official website
(site no longer active)
- Octone Records Harvard Business School case study
- June 2009 Los Angeles Times interview
- January 2010 CNN/Money video profile
- March 2010 NY Enterprise Report cover story
- September 2010 Wall Street Journal "Walkabout NY" Interview
- A&M/Octone Records - Harvard Business School Case Study Part II
- November 2010 Fast Company on A&M/Octone Records, K'Naan & Coca Cola
- January 2011 MIDEM Convention panel in Cannes, Frances w/James Diener discussing K'Naan/Coca Cola World Cup campaign & A&M/Octone artist development