69th Tony Awards
The 69th Annual Tony Awards were held on June 7, 2015, to recognize achievement in Broadway productions during the 2014–15 season. The ceremony was held at Radio City Music Hall in New York City and broadcast live by CBS. Kristin Chenoweth and Alan Cumming hosted the ceremony.
|69th Tony Awards|
|Date||June 7, 2015|
|Location||Radio City Music Hall, New York, New York|
|Most awards||The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time and Fun Home (5)|
|Most nominations||An American in Paris and Fun Home (12)|
Of the ceremony's most winning productions, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time and Fun Home each won five Tony Awards in the play and musical categories, respectively. Both An American in Paris and the Lincoln Center revival of The King and I took home four Tony Awards.
Shows that opened on Broadway during the 2014–15 season before April 23, 2015 were eligible for consideration.
The Tony Award nominations were announced on April 28, 2015 by Mary-Louise Parker and Bruce Willis. The musicals An American in Paris and Fun Home had the most nominations with 12, followed by Something Rotten! with 10, the revival of The King and I with 9 and Wolf Hall Parts One & Two with 8.
This is the first year that a new Tony Award was given for Excellence in Theatre Education (presented by Carnegie Mellon University). The award was presented to an educator who demonstrates "a positive impact on the lives of students, advancing the theatre profession and a commitment to excellence."
This year, the number of nominees in several categories may be increased, depending upon the number of eligible candidates. This change affects performance categories, Best Direction of both plays and musicals, and Best Choreography.
The Creative Arts Awards portion of the awards ceremony is hosted by Jessie Mueller and James Monroe Iglehart. The Creative Arts Awards usually include Best Lighting Design of a Play, Best Lighting Design of a Musical, Best Costume Design of a Play, Best Costume Design of a Musical, Best Orchestrations.
There were performances at the awards ceremony from musicals which have been nominated for a Tony Award, and those which have not been nominated, including: An American in Paris, The King and I, On the Town, On the Twentieth Century, The Visit, Fun Home, Something Rotten!, It Shoulda Been You, Finding Neverland and Gigi.
Tommy Tune received the Lifetime Achievement Award. The Tony Honors for Excellence in Theatre award recipients are: Adrian Bryan-Brown (press agent), Gene O'Donovan (Hudson Scenic Studio founder), and Arnold Abramson (scenery designer and painter). The Cleveland Play House received the Regional Theatre Tony Award. John Cameron Mitchell received the Special Tony Award for his return to Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Stephen Schwartz was given the Isabelle Stevenson Award. The new education award was presented to Corey Mitchell, Performing Arts Teacher and Theatre Director, Northwest School of the Arts, Charlotte, North Carolina.
Winners and nomineesEdit
∞ This marks O'Hara's sixth Tony Award nomination and first win.
Awards and nominations per productionEdit
|An American in Paris||12||4|
|The King and I||9||4|
|Wolf Hall Parts One & Two||8||1|
|The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time||6||5|
|You Can't Take It With You||5||1|
|Hand to God||5||0|
|On the Twentieth Century||5||0|
|The Elephant Man||4||0|
|On the Town||4||0|
|The Last Ship||2||0|
|The Heidi Chronicles||1||0|
|It's Only a Play||1||0|
|This Is Our Youth||1||0|
Individuals with multiple nominationsEdit
- Jayne Meadows Allen
- Lauren Bacall
- Polly Bergen
- Bunny Briggs
- Stanley Chase
- B.J. Crosby
- Ruby Dee
- Eugene Louis 'Luigi' Faccuito
- James Garner
- Gerry Goffin
- Carole L. Haber
- Joseph P. Harris
- Edward Herrmann
- Geoffrey Holder
- Louis Jourdan
- Charles Keating
- Robert H. Livingston
- Brian Macdonald
- Geraldine McEwan
- Anne Meara
- Barry Moss
- Rosemary Murphy
- Peter Neufeld
- Mike Nichols
- Leonard Nimoy
- Joan Rivers
- Mary Rodgers
- Julius Rudel
- Donald Saddler
- Herb Schapiro
- Gene Saks
- Richard Seader
- Donald Sinden
- Elaine Stritch
- Marian Seldes
- Andrea "Spook" Testani
- Jay Thompson
- Eli Wallach
- Robin Williams
- Elizabeth Wilson
- Julie Wilson
- Gioia, Michael. "This Year's Tony Nominees Will Be Announced in Times Square With Online Webcast" Playbill.com, January 21, 2015
- Gans, Andrew. "69th Annual Tony Awards Nominations Announced!" Playbill.com, April 28, 2015
- "Got a Favorite Theatre Teacher? Nominations Are Now Open for the Excellence in Theatre Education Tony Award!" Broadwayworld.com, January 11, 2015
- Hetrick, Adam. "Tony Awards Rule on Eligibility for Side Show Twins and Set Stage for Potential Increase of Nominees" Playbill.com, January 15, 2015
- Viagas, Robert. "Tony Awards Announce Hosts for the Creative Arts Awards Section of the 2015 Ceremony" playbill.com, May 27, 2015
- Gans, Andrew; Hetrick, Adam; and Gioia, Michael. "Updated: Shall We Dance... Or Sing? Who's Performing What at the Tony Awards!" Playbill.com, May 27, 2015
- Viagas, Robert. "See Which Non-Nominated Shows Will Perform On 2015 Tony Awards Broadcast" Playbill.com, May 20, 2015
- "Presenters Announced for the 69th Annual Tony Awards Airing Sunday June 7 on CBS" zap2it.com, May 28, 2015
- "Bernadette Peters, Joel Grey, J-Lo & Many More Join TONY AWARDS Presenters Lineup". broadwayworld.com. June 5, 2015. Retrieved June 10, 2015.
- Viagas, Robert. "Tommy Tune Will Get a Lifetime Achievement Tony" Playbill.com, April 2, 2015
- Viagas, Robert. "2015 Tony Honors for Excellence Announced" Playbill.com, April 7, 2015
- Viagas, Robert. "Cleveland Play House Will Receive 2015 Regional Theatre Tony Award" Playbill.com, April 24, 2015
- Gans, Andrew. " 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch' Star Will Receive Special Tony Award" Playbill.com, April 27, 2015
- Gans, Andrew." 'Wicked Composer Is Recipient of the 2014 Isabelle Stevenson Award" Playbill.com, April 27, 2015
- " 'Fun Home' songwriters become 1st winning female team" Archived 2016-02-02 at the Wayback Machine. Yahoo News