The year 600 BC was a year of the pre-Julian Roman calendar. In the Roman Empire, it was known as year 154 Ab urbe condita. The denomination 600 BC for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
|Millennium:||1st millennium BC|
|Gregorian calendar||600 BC|
|Ab urbe condita||154|
|Ancient Egypt era||XXVI dynasty, 65|
|- Pharaoh||Necho II, 11|
|Ancient Greek era||45th Olympiad (victor)¹|
|Balinese saka calendar||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||庚申年 (Metal Monkey)|
2097 or 2037
— to —
辛酉年 (Metal Rooster)
2098 or 2038
|Coptic calendar||−883 – −882|
|Ethiopian calendar||−607 – −606|
|- Vikram Samvat||−543 – −542|
|- Shaka Samvat||N/A|
|- Kali Yuga||2501–2502|
|Iranian calendar||1221 BP – 1220 BP|
|Islamic calendar||1259 BH – 1257 BH|
|Minguo calendar||2511 before ROC|
|Thai solar calendar||−57 – −56|
−473 or −854 or −1626
— to —
−472 or −853 or −1625
- The Hanging Gardens of Babylon are built by Nebuchadnezzar. (approximate date)
- Zoroaster's religion becomes popular in Persia. (approximate date)
- Smyrna is sacked and destroyed by Alyattes II. (approximate date)
- The country of Armenia is created. (approximate date)
- The first dwelling at Emain Macha (now Navan Fort) is built (approximate date).
- Milan is founded by Celts.
- Capua is founded by Etruscans. (approximate date)
- Pompeii is founded. (approximate date)
- The Etruscans seize possession of Rome, making it into a prosperous trade center. (approximate date)
- Victorious over the Carthaginians in a naval battle, the Greeks of Phocaea establish the city of Marseille in today's France.
- Athens is suffering severe economic problems (approximate date).
- The calendrical system begins appearing in areas with strong Olmec influence, continuing to appear until 500 BC (approximate date).
Art and architectureEdit
- Archaic period of sculpture begins in Greece (approximate date).
- Kouros (representation of a male youth) begins to be made, being finished in 580 BC (approximate date).
- Pitcher (container) (olpe), from Corinth, is made. It is now at The British Museum, London. (approximate date)
- The Temple of Artemis, Korkyra in Corfu begins to be built (approximate date).
- The Doric and Ionic orders are well developed (approximate date).