The year 600 BC was a year of the pre-Julian Roman calendar. In the Roman Empire, it was known as year 154 Ab urbe condita . The denomination 600 BC for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
|Millennium:||1st millennium BC|
|Gregorian calendar||600 BC|
|Ab urbe condita||154|
|Ancient Egypt era||XXVI dynasty, 65|
|- Pharaoh||Necho II, 11|
|Ancient Greek era||45th Olympiad (victor)¹|
|Balinese saka calendar||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||庚申年 (Metal Monkey)|
2097 or 2037
— to —
辛酉年 (Metal Rooster)
2098 or 2038
|Coptic calendar||−883 – −882|
|Ethiopian calendar||−607 – −606|
|- Vikram Samvat||−543 – −542|
|- Shaka Samvat||N/A|
|- Kali Yuga||2501–2502|
|Iranian calendar||1221 BP – 1220 BP|
|Islamic calendar||1259 BH – 1257 BH|
|Minguo calendar||2511 before ROC|
|Thai solar calendar||−57 – −56|
−473 or −854 or −1626
— to —
−472 or −853 or −1625
- The Hanging Gardens of Babylon are built by Nebuchadnezzar.
- Zoroaster's religion becomes popular in Persia. (approximate date)
- Smyrna is sacked and destroyed by Alyattes II.
- The country of Armenia is created.
- The first dwelling at Emain Macha (now Navan Fort) is built (approximate date).
- Milan is founded by Celts.
- Capua is founded.
- Pompeii is founded. (approximate date)
- The Etruscans seize possession of Rome, making it into a prosperous trade center. (approximate date)
- Victorious over the Carthaginians in a naval battle, the Greeks of Phocaea establish the city Marseille in today's France.
- Athens is suffering severe economic problems. (approximate date)
- The calendrical system begins appearing in areas with strong Olmec influence, continuing to appear until 500 BC. (approximate date)
Art and architectureEdit
- Archaic period of sculpture begins in Greece. (approximate date)
- Kouros (representation of a male youth) begins to be made, being finished in 580 BC. (approximate date)
- Pitcher (container) (olpe), from Corinth, is made. It is now at The British Museum, London. (approximate date)
- The Temple of Artemis, Korkyra in Corfu begins to be built. (approximate date)
- The Doric and Ionic orders are well developed. (approximate date)