Under the Whyte notation for the classification of steam locomotives by wheel arrangement, 6-8-6 represents the arrangement of six unpowered leading wheels arranged into a three-axle leading truck, eight powered driving wheels, and six unpowered trailing wheels arranged into a three-axle trailing truck.
Other equivalent classifications are:
- UIC classification: 3D3 (also known as German classification and Italian classification)
- French classification: 343
- Turkish classification: 410
- Swiss classification: 4/10.
- Staufer, Alvin F.; Pennypacker, Bert (1962). Pennsy Power: Steam and Electric Locomotives of the Pennsylvania Railroad, 1900-1957. Research by Martin Flattley. Carollton, OH: Alvin F. Staufer. ISBN 978-0-9445-1304-0. LCCN 62020878. OCLC 602543182.
|This steam locomotive-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|