5 (five) is a number, numeral and digit. It is the natural number, and cardinal number, following 4 and preceding 6, and is a prime number. It has attained significance throughout history in part because typical humans have five digits on each hand.
|Roman numeral||V, v|
|Greek||ε (or Ε)|
|Persian, Sindhi, Urdu||۵|
Five is the third smallest prime number. Since it can be written as 22 + 1, five is classified as a Fermat prime; therefore, a regular polygon with 5 sides (a regular pentagon) is constructible with compass and an unmarked straightedge. Five is the third Sophie Germain prime, the first safe prime, the third Catalan number, and the third Mersenne prime exponent. Five is the first Wilson prime and the third factorial prime, also an alternating factorial. Five is the first good prime. It is an Eisenstein prime with no imaginary part and real part of the form 3p − 1. It is also the only number that is part of more than one pair of twin primes. Five is also a super-prime, and a congruent number.
Five is also the only prime that is the sum of two consecutive primes, namely 2 and 3, with these indeed being the only possible set of two consecutive primes.
The number 5 is the fifth Fibonacci number, being 2 plus 3. It is the only Fibonacci number that is equal to its position. Five is also a Pell number and a Markov number, appearing in solutions to the Markov Diophantine equation: (1, 2, 5), (1, 5, 13), (2, 5, 29), (5, 13, 194), (5, 29, 433), ... (OEIS: A030452 lists Markov numbers that appear in solutions where one of the other two terms is 5). Whereas 5 is unique in the Fibonacci sequence, in the Perrin sequence 5 is both the fifth and sixth Perrin numbers.
In bases 10 and 20, 5 is a 1-automorphic number.
While polynomial equations of degree 4 and below can be solved with radicals, equations of degree 5 and higher cannot generally be so solved. This is the Abel–Ruffini theorem. This is related to the fact that the symmetric group Sn is a solvable group for n ≤ 4 and not solvable for n ≥ 5.
Five is the only prime number to end in the digit 5 because all other numbers written with a 5 in the ones place under the decimal system are multiples of five. As a consequence of this, 5 is in base 10 a 1-automorphic number.
Vulgar fractions with 5 or 2 in the denominator do not yield infinite decimal expansions, unlike expansions with all other prime denominators, because they are prime factors of ten, the base. When written in the decimal system, all multiples of 5 will end in either 5 or 0.
There are five exceptional Lie groups.
List of basic calculationsEdit
|5 × x||5||10||15||20||25||30||35||40||45||50||55||60||65||70||75||80||85||90||95||100|
|5 ÷ x||5||2.5||1.6||1.25||1||0.83||0.714285||0.625||0.5||0.5||0.45||0.416||0.384615||0.3571428||0.3|
|x ÷ 5||0.2||0.4||0.6||0.8||1||1.2||1.4||1.6||1.8||2||2.2||2.4||2.6||2.8||3|
In the powers of 5, every power ends with the number five and from 53, if the exponent is odd, then the hundreds digit is 1; instead, if it is even, the hundreds digit is 6.
In decimal notation, n5 always ends in the same digit as n.
Evolution of the Arabic digitEdit
The evolution of the modern Western digit for the numeral 5 cannot be traced back to the Indian system, as for the digits 1 to 4. The Kushana and Gupta empires in what is now India had among themselves several different forms that bear no resemblance to the modern digit. The Nagari and Punjabi took these digits and all came up with forms that were similar to a lowercase "h" rotated 180°. The Ghubar Arabs transformed the digit in several different ways, producing from that were more similar to the digits 4 or 3 than to 5. It was from those digits that Europeans finally came up with the modern 5.
- The atomic number of boron.
- The number of appendages on most starfish, which exhibit pentamerism.
- The most destructive known hurricanes rate as Category 5 on the Saffir–Simpson hurricane wind scale.
- The most destructive known tornadoes rate an F-5 on the Fujita scale or EF-5 on the Enhanced Fujita scale.
- Messier object M5, a magnitude 7.0 globular cluster in the constellation Serpens.
- The New General Catalogue object NGC 5, a magnitude 13 spiral galaxy in the constellation Andromeda.
- The Roman numeral V stands for dwarfs (main sequence stars) in the Yerkes spectral classification scheme.
- The Roman numeral V (usually) stands for the fifth-discovered satellite of a planet or minor planet (e.g. Jupiter V).
- There are five Lagrangian points in a two-body system.
- There are generally considered to be five senses.
- Almost all amphibians, reptiles, and mammals which have fingers or toes have five of them on each extremity.
Religion and cultureEdit
- The god Shiva has five faces and his mantra is also called panchakshari (five-worded) mantra.
- The goddess Saraswati, goddess of knowledge and intellectual is associated with panchami or the number 5.
- There are five elements in the universe according to Hindu cosmology: dharti, agni, jal, vayu evam akash (earth, fire, water, air and space respectively).
- The most sacred tree in Hinduism has 5 leaves in every leaf stunt.[clarification needed]
- Most of the flowers have 5 petals in them.
- The epic Mahabharata revolves around the battle between Duryodhana and his 99 other brothers and the 5 pandava princes—Dharma, Arjuna, Bhima, Nakula and Sahadeva.
- There are traditionally five wounds of Jesus Christ in Christianity: the Scourging at the Pillar, the Crowning with Thorns, the wounds in Christ's hands, the wounds in Christ's feet, and the Side Wound of Christ.
- The number five was an important symbolic number in Manichaeism, with heavenly beings, concepts, and others often grouped in sets of five.
- Five Seals in Sethianism
- Five Trees in the Gospel of Thomas
- The Five Pillars of Islam
- Muslims pray to Allah five times a day
- According to Shia Muslims, the Panjetan or the Five Holy Purified Ones are the members of Muhammad's family: Muhammad, Ali, Fatimah, Hasan, and Husayn and are often symbolically represented by an image of the Khamsa.
- The Torah contains five books—Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy—which are collectively called the Five Books of Moses, the Pentateuch (Greek for "five containers", referring to the scroll cases in which the books were kept), or Humash (חומש, Hebrew for "fifth").
- The book of Psalms is arranged into five books, paralleling the Five Books of Moses.
- The Khamsa, an ancient symbol shaped like a hand with four fingers and one thumb, is used as a protective amulet by Jews; that same symbol is also very popular in Arabic culture, known to protect from envy and the evil eye.
- The five sacred Sikh symbols prescribed by Guru Gobind Singh are commonly known as panj kakars or the "Five Ks" because they start with letter K representing kakka (ਕ) in the Punjabi language's Gurmukhi script. They are: kesh (unshorn hair), kangha (the comb), kara (the steel bracelet), kachhehra (the soldier's shorts), and kirpan (the sword) (in Gurmukhi: ਕੇਸ, ਕੰਘਾ, ਕੜਾ, ਕਛਹਰਾ, ਕਿਰਪਾਨ). Also, there are five deadly evils: kam (lust), krodh (anger), moh (attachment), lobh (greed), and ankhar (ego).
Other religions and culturesEdit
- According to ancient Greek philosophers such as Aristotle, the universe is made up of five classical elements: water, earth, air, fire, and ether. This concept was later adopted by medieval alchemists and more recently by practitioners of Neo-Pagan religions such as Wicca.
- The pentagram, or five-pointed star, bears religious significance in various faiths including Baháʼí, Christianity, Freemasonry, Satanism, Taoism, Thelema, and Wicca.
- In Cantonese, "five" sounds like the word "not" (character: 唔). When five appears in front of a lucky number, e.g. "58", the result is considered unlucky.
- In East Asian tradition, there are five elements: (water, fire, earth, wood, and metal). The Japanese names for the days of the week, Tuesday through Saturday, come from these elements via the identification of the elements with the five planets visible with the naked eye. Also, the traditional Japanese calendar has a five-day weekly cycle that can be still observed in printed mixed calendars combining Western, Chinese-Buddhist, and Japanese names for each weekday.
- In numerology, 5 or a series of 555, is often associated with change, evolution, love and abundance.
- Members of The Nation of Gods and Earths, a primarily African American religious organization, call themselves the "Five-Percenters" because they believe that only 5% of mankind is truly enlightened.
Art, entertainment, and mediaEdit
- James the Red Engine, a fictional character numbered 5.
- Johnny 5 is the lead character in the film Short Circuit (1986)
- Number Five is a character in Lorien Legacies
- Sankara Stones, five magical rocks in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom that are sought by the Thuggees for evil purposes
- The Mach Five Mahha-gō? (マッハ号), the racing car Speed Racer (Go Mifune in the Japanese version) drives in the anime series of the same name (known as "Mach Go! Go! Go!" in Japan)
- In the works of J. R. R. Tolkien, five wizards (Saruman, Gandalf, Radagast, Alatar and Pallando) are sent to Middle-earth to aid against the threat of the Dark Lord Sauron
- In the A Song of Ice and Fire series, the War of the Five Kings is fought between different claimants to the Iron Throne of Westeros, as well as to the thrones of the individual regions of Westeros (Joffrey Baratheon, Stannis Baratheon, Renly Baratheon, Robb Stark and Balon Greyjoy)
- In The Wheel of Time series, the "Emond's Field Five" are a group of five of the series' main characters who all come from the village of Emond's Field (Rand al'Thor, Matrim Cauthon, Perrin Aybara, Egwene al'Vere and Nynaeve al'Meara)
- Myst uses the number 5 as a unique base counting system. In The Myst Reader series, it is further explained that the number 5 is considered a holy number in the fictional D'ni society.
- Number Five is also a character in The Umbrella Academy comic book and TV series adaptation
- Towards the end of the film Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975), the character of King Arthur repeatedly confuses the number five with the number three.
- Five Go Mad in Dorset (1982) was the first of the long-running series of The Comic Strip Presents... television comedy films
- The Fifth Element (1997), a science fiction film
- Fast Five (2011), the fifth installment of the Fast and Furious film series.
- V for Vendetta (2005), produced by Warner Bros., directed by James McTeigue, and adapted from Alan Moore's graphic novel V for Vendetta prominently features number 5 and Roman Numeral V; the story is based on the historical event in which a group of men attempted to destroy Parliament on November 5, 1605
- Five (group), a UK Boy band
- The Five (composers), 19th-century Russian composers
- 5 Seconds of Summer, pop band that originated in Sydney, Australia
- Five Americans, American rock band active 1965–1969
- Five Finger Death Punch, American heavy metal band from Las Vegas, Nevada. Active 2005–present
- Five Man Electrical Band, Canadian rock group billed (and active) as the Five Man Electrical Band, 1969–1975
- Maroon 5, American pop rock band that originated in Los Angeles, California
- MC5, American punk rock band
- Pentatonix, a Grammy-winning a cappella group originated in Arlington, Texas
- The 5th Dimension, American pop vocal group, active 1977–present
- The Dave Clark Five, a.k.a. DC5, an English pop rock group comprising Dave Clark, Lenny Davidson, Rick Huxley, Denis Payton, and Mike Smith; active 1958–1970
- The Jackson 5, American pop rock group featuring various members of the Jackson family; they were billed (and active) as The Jackson 5, 1966–1975
- Hi-5, Australian pop kids group, where it has several international adaptations, and several members throughout the history of the band. It was also a TV show.
- We Five: American folk rock group active 1965–1967 and 1968–1977
- Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five: American rap group, 1970–80's
- Fifth Harmony, an American girl group.
- Ben Folds Five, an American alternative rock trio, 1993–2000, 2008 and 2011–2013
- R5 (band), an American pop and alternative rock group, 2009–2018
- A perfect fifth is the most consonant harmony, and is the basis for most western tuning systems.
- Modern musical notation uses a musical staff made of five horizontal lines.
- In harmonics – the fifth partial (or 4th overtone) of a fundamental has a frequency ratio of 5:1 to the frequency of that fundamental. This ratio corresponds to the interval of 2 octaves plus a pure major third. Thus, the interval of 5:4 is the interval of the pure third. A major triad chord when played in just intonation (most often the case in a cappella vocal ensemble singing), will contain such a pure major third.
- The number of completed, numbered piano concertos of Ludwig van Beethoven, Sergei Prokofiev, and Camille Saint-Saëns.
- Using the Latin root, five musicians are called a quintet.
- A scale with five notes per octave is called a pentatonic scale.
- Five is the lowest possible number that can be the top number of a time signature with an asymmetric meter.
- Channel 5 (UK), a television channel that broadcasts in the United Kingdom
- 5 (TV channel) (formerly known as ABC 5 and TV5) (DWET-TV channel 5 In Metro Manila) a television network in the Philippines.
- Babylon 5, a science fiction television series
- The number 5 features in the television series Battlestar Galactica in regards to the Final Five cylons and the Temple of Five
- Hi-5 (Australian TV series), a television series from Australia
- Hi-5 (UK TV series), a television show from the United Kingdom
- Hi-5 Philippines a television show from the Philippines
- Odyssey 5, a 2002 science fiction television series
- Tillbaka till Vintergatan, a Swedish children's television series featuring a character named "Femman" (meaning five), who can only utter the word 'five'.
- The Five (talk show): Fox News Channel roundtable current events television show, premiered 2011, so-named for its panel of five commentators.
- Yes! PreCure 5 is a 2007 anime series which follows the adventures of Nozomi and her friends. It is also followed by the 2008 sequel Yes! Pretty Cure 5 GoGo!
- The Quintessential Quintuplets is a 2019 slice of life romance anime series which follows the everyday life of five identical quintuplets and their interactions with their tutor. It has two seasons, and a final movie is scheduled in summer 2022.
- Hawaii Five-0, CBS American TV series.
- The Famous Five is a series of children's books by British writer Enid Blyton
- The Power of Five is a series of children's books by British writer and screenwriter Anthony Horowitz
- The Fall of Five is a book written under the collective pseudonym Pittacus Lore in the series Lorien Legacies
- The Book of Five Rings is a text on kenjutsu and the martial arts in general, written by the swordsman Miyamoto Musashi circa 1645
- Slaughterhouse-Five is a book by Kurt Vonnegut about World War II
- The Olympic Games have five interlocked rings as their symbol, representing the number of inhabited continents represented by the Olympians (Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia and Oceania, and the Americas).
- In AFL Women's, the top level of women's Australian rules football, each team is allowed 5 "interchanges" (substitute players), who can be freely substituted at any time.
- In baseball scorekeeping, the number 5 represents the third baseman's position.
- In basketball:
- The number 5 is used to represent the position of center.
- Each team has five players on the court at a given time. Thus, the phrase "five on five" is commonly used to describe standard competitive basketball.
- The "5-second rule" refers to several related rules designed to promote continuous play. In all cases, violation of the rule results in a turnover.
- Under the FIBA (used for all international play, and most non-US leagues) and NCAA women's rule sets, a team begins shooting bonus free throws once its opponent has committed five personal fouls in a quarter.
- Under the FIBA rules, A player fouls out and must leave the game after committing five fouls
- Five-a-side football is a variation of association football in which each team fields five players.
- In ice hockey:
- In most rugby league competitions, the starting left wing wears this number. An exception is the Super League, which uses static squad numbering.
- In rugby union:
- 5 is the most common number of gears for automobiles with manual transmission.
- In radio communication, the term "Five by five" is used to indicate perfect signal strength and clarity.
- On almost all devices with a numeric keypad such as telephones, computers, etc., the 5 key has a raised dot or raised bar to make dialing easier. Persons who are blind or have low vision find it useful to be able to feel the keys of a telephone. All other numbers can be found with their relative position around the 5 button (on computer keyboards, the 5 key of the numpad has the raised dot or bar, but the 5 key that shifts with % does not).
- On most telephones, the 5 key is associated with the letters J, K, and L, but on some of the BlackBerry phones, it is the key for G and H.
- The Pentium, coined by Intel Corporation, is a fifth-generation x86 architecture microprocessor.
- The resin identification code used in recycling to identify polypropylene.
Five can refer to:
- "Give me five" is a common phrase used preceding a high five.
- An informal term for the British Security Service, MI5.
- Five babies born at one time are quintuplets. The most famous set of quintuplets were the Dionne quintuplets born in the 1930s.
- In the United States legal system, the Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution can be referred to in court as "pleading the fifth", absolving the defendant from self-incrimination.
- Pentameter is verse with five repeating feet per line; iambic pentameter was the most popular form in Shakespeare.
- Quintessence, meaning "fifth element", refers to the elusive fifth element that completes the basic four elements (water, fire, air, and earth)
- The designation of an Interstate Highway (Interstate 5) that runs from San Diego, California to Blaine, Washington. In addition, all major north-south Interstate Highways in the United States end in 5.
- The five basic tastes are sweet, salty, sour, bitter, and umami.
- In the computer game Riven, 5 is considered a holy number, and is a recurring theme throughout the game, appearing in hundreds of places, from the number of islands in the game to the number of bolts on pieces of machinery.
- The Garden of Cyrus (1658) by Sir Thomas Browne is a Pythagorean discourse based upon the number 5.
- The holy number of Discordianism, as dictated by the Law of Fives.
- The number of Justices on the Supreme Court of the United States necessary to render a majority decision.
- The number of dots in a quincunx.
- The number of permanent members with veto power on the United Nations Security Council.
- The number of sides and the number of angles in a pentagon.
- The number of points in a pentagram.
- The number of Korotkoff sounds when measuring blood pressure
- The drink Five Alive is named for its five ingredients. The drink punch derives its name after the Sanskrit पञ्च (pañc) for having five ingredients.
- The Keating Five were five United States Senators accused of corruption in 1989.
- The Inferior Five: Merryman, Awkwardman, The Blimp, White Feather, and Dumb Bunny. DC Comics parody superhero team.
- No. 5 is the name of the iconic fragrance created by Coco Chanel.
- The Committee of Five was delegated to draft the United States Declaration of Independence.
- The five-second rule is a commonly used rule of thumb for dropped food.
- 555 95472, usually referred to simply as 5, is a minor male character in the comic strip Peanuts.
- Weisstein, Eric W. "5". mathworld.wolfram.com. Retrieved 2020-07-30.
- Weisstein, Eric W. "Catalan Number". mathworld.wolfram.com. Retrieved 2020-07-30.
- Weisstein, Eric W. "Mersenne Prime". mathworld.wolfram.com. Retrieved 2020-07-30.
- Weisstein, Eric W. "Twin Primes". mathworld.wolfram.com. Retrieved 2020-07-30.
- Sloane, N. J. A. (ed.). "Sequence A028388 (Good primes)". The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences. OEIS Foundation. Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- Sloane, N. J. A. (ed.). "Sequence A003273 (Congruent numbers)". The On-Line Encyclopedia of Integer Sequences. OEIS Foundation. Retrieved 2016-06-01.
- Pomerance, Carl. "On Untouchable Numbers and Related Problems" (PDF). Dartmouth College.
- Weisstein, Eric W. "Perrin Sequence". mathworld.wolfram.com. Retrieved 2020-07-30.
- Weisstein, Eric W. "Sierpiński Number of the First Kind". mathworld.wolfram.com. Retrieved 2020-07-30.
- Richard K. Guy (2004). Unsolved Problems in Number Theory. Springer-Verlag. pp. 84–86. ISBN 0-387-20860-7.
- Bryan Bunch, The Kingdom of Infinite Number. New York: W. H. Freeman & Company (2000): 61
- Alexandrov, A. D. (2005). "8.1 Parallelohedra". Convex Polyhedra. Springer. pp. 349–359.
- Skilling, John (1976). "Uniform Compounds of Uniform Polyhedra". Mathematical Proceedings of the Cambridge Philosophical Society. 79: 447–457. doi:10.1017/S0305004100052440. MR 0397554.
- Wills, J. M. (1987). "The combinatorially regular polyhedra of index 2". Aequationes Mathematicae. 34: 206–220. doi:10.1007/BF01830672.
- H.S.M. Coxeter (1956). "Regular Honeycombs in Hyperbolic Space". Penn State. p. 168. Retrieved 2022-06-15.
- Luis J. Boya (2011-01-16). "Introduction to Sporadic Groups". p. 13. arXiv:1101.3055 [math.MG].
- Georges Ifrah, The Universal History of Numbers: From Prehistory to the Invention of the Computer transl. David Bellos et al. London: The Harvill Press (1998): 394, Fig. 24.65
- "Atomic Number of Elements in Periodic Table". www.atomicnumber.net. Retrieved 2020-08-02.
- Cinalli, G.; Maixner, W. J.; Sainte-Rose, C. (2012-12-06). Pediatric Hydrocephalus. Springer Science & Business Media. p. 19. ISBN 978-88-470-2121-1.
The five appendages of the starfish are thought to be homologous to five human buds
- Cantelmo, Mr Alessandro; Melina, Mr Giovanni; Papageorgiou, Mr Chris (2019-10-11). Macroeconomic Outcomes in Disaster-Prone Countries. International Monetary Fund. p. 25. ISBN 978-1-5135-1731-5.
where Category 5 includes the most powerful hurricane
- Lindop, Laurie (2003-01-01). Chasing Tornadoes. Twenty-First Century Books. p. 58. ISBN 978-0-7613-2703-5.
The strongest tornado would be an F5
- Pugh, Philip (2011-11-02). Observing the Messier Objects with a Small Telescope: In the Footsteps of a Great Observer. Springer Science & Business Media. p. 44. ISBN 978-0-387-85357-4.
M5, like the previous objects in the Messier Catalogue is a globular star cluster in Serpen
- Ford, Dominic. "The galaxy NGC 5". In-The-Sky.org. Retrieved 2020-08-02.
- Kisia, S. M. (2010), Vertebrates: Structures and Functions, Biological Systems in Vertebrates, CRC Press, p. 106, ISBN 978-1-4398-4052-8,
The typical limb of tetrapods is the pentadactyl limb (Gr. penta, five) that has five toes. Tetrapods evolved from an ancestor that had limbs with five toes. ... Even though the number of digits in different vertebrates may vary from five, vertebrates develop from an embryonic five-digit stage.
- Pozrikidis, Constantine (2012-09-17). XML in Scientific Computing. CRC Press. p. 209. ISBN 978-1-4665-1228-3.
5 5 005 ENQ (enquiry)
- Narayan, M. K. V. (2007). Flipside of Hindu Symbolism: Sociological and Scientific Linkages in Hinduism. Fultus Corporation. p. 105. ISBN 978-1-59682-117-0.
Shiva has five faces;
- "CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: The Five Sacred Wounds". www.newadvent.org. Retrieved 2020-08-02.
- "PBS – Islam: Empire of Faith – Faith – Five Pillars". www.pbs.org. Retrieved 2020-08-03.
- "Why Muslims Pray 5 Times A Day". MuslimInc. 2016-05-20. Retrieved 2020-08-03.
- "Panj Tan Paak – The Ahl-e Bayt – The Five Purified Ones of Allah". www.amaana.org. Retrieved 2020-08-03.
- Pelaia, Ariela. "Judaism 101: What Are the Five Books of Moses?". Learn Religions. Retrieved 2020-08-03.
- Peterson, Eugene H. (2000-01-06). Psalms: Prayers of the Heart. InterVarsity Press. p. 6. ISBN 978-0-8308-3034-3.
The Psalms are arranged into five books
- Zenner, Walter P. (1988-01-01). Persistence and Flexibility: Anthropological Perspectives on the American Jewish Experience. SUNY Press. p. 284. ISBN 978-0-88706-748-8.
- Desai, Anjali H. (2007). India Guide Gujarat. India Guide Publications. p. 36. ISBN 978-0-9789517-0-2.
...he prescribed five sacred symbols to create a unified ident
- Chen, Yuan (2014). "Legitimation Discourse and the Theory of the Five Elements in Imperial China". Journal of Song-Yuan Studies. 44 (1): 325–364. doi:10.1353/sys.2014.0000. ISSN 2154-6665. S2CID 147099574.
- Katz, Paul R. (1995-01-01). Demon Hordes and Burning Boats: The Cult of Marshal Wen in Late Imperial Chekiang. SUNY Press. p. 55. ISBN 978-1-4384-0848-4.
using the title the Five Emperors
- Yoon, Hong-key (2006). The Culture of Fengshui in Korea: An Exploration of East Asian Geomancy. Lexington Books. p. 59. ISBN 978-0-7391-1348-6.
The first category is the Five Agents [Elements] namely, Water, Fire, Wood, Metal, and Earth.
- Walsh, Len (2008-11-15). Read Japanese Today: The Easy Way to Learn 400 Practical Kanji. Tuttle Publishing. ISBN 978-1-4629-1592-7.
The Japanese names of the days of the week are taken from the names of the seven basic nature symbols
- Smith, David H. (2010-04-06). Religious Giving: For Love of God. Indiana University Press. p. 36. ISBN 978-0-253-00418-5.
Nation of Gods and Earths (also known as the Five Percenters),
- Allcroft, Britt; Friends, Thomas &; Awdry, W. (2014). James the Splendid Red Engine. Egmont UK Limited. ISBN 978-1-4052-7506-4.
Meet Sodor's number 5 engine
- O'Sullivan, Emer (2005-03-05). Comparative Children's Literature. Routledge. p. 122. ISBN 978-1-134-40485-8.
the super-robot Number 5 in the film Short Circuit,
- Lore, Pittacus (2013). The Fall of Five. Michael Joseph. ISBN 978-0-7181-5650-3.
- Windham, Ryder (2008). Indiana Jones Collector's Edition. Scholastic. p. 298. ISBN 978-0-545-09183-1.
he gave him the five sacred stones with magical properties
- Chance, Jane (2016-11-21). Tolkien, Self and Other: "This Queer Creature". Springer. p. 70. ISBN 978-1-137-39896-3.
These five included the head wizard,
- Jacoby, Henry (2012-02-23). Game of Thrones and Philosophy: Logic Cuts Deeper Than Swords. John Wiley & Sons. p. 34. ISBN 978-1-118-20605-8.
...view the events of A Song of Ice and Fire. As we'll see, the War of the Five Kings
- Netflix; Way, Gerard; Ba, Gabriel (2020). The Making of the Umbrella Academy. Dark Horse Comics. p. 21. ISBN 978-1-5067-1357-1.
- Palmer, Scott (1988). British Film Actors' Credits, 1895–1987. McFarland. p. 261. ISBN 978-0-89950-316-5.
- The Fifth Element (1997), retrieved 2020-08-03
- Fast Five (2011), retrieved 2020-08-03
- V for Vendetta (2006), retrieved 2020-08-03
- Wood, Stephanie (2013-01-31). "'We were a train crash": 5ive talk tears, breakdowns and anger on The Big Reunion". mirror. Retrieved 2020-08-01.
- Figes, Orlando (2014-02-11). Natasha's Dance: A Cultural History of Russia. Henry Holt and Company. ISBN 978-1-4668-6289-0.
Also sometimes referred to as 'The Mighty Five' or 'Mighty Handful': Balakirev, Rimsky Korsakov, Borodin, Cui and Musorgsky
- "The Five Americans | Biography, Albums, Streaming Links". AllMusic. Retrieved 2020-08-01.
- "Werewolf by the Five Man Electrical Band –". Vancouver Pop Music Signature Sounds. 2019-05-08. Retrieved 2021-01-28.
- "Up close with Maroon 5- Facebook and Twitter competition to give patron meeting with Rock band". jamaica-gleaner.com. 2011-01-02. Retrieved 2020-08-01.
- "MC5 | Biography, Albums, Streaming Links". AllMusic. Retrieved 2020-08-01.
- NJ.com, Vicki Hyman | NJ Advance Media for (2011-11-29). "Pentatonix scores 'The Sing-Off' title". nj. Retrieved 2020-08-01.
- "5th Dimension's Florence LaRue charms sold-out crowds at Savannah Center - Villages-News.com". Villages-News: News, crime, classifieds, government, events in The Villages, FL. 2016-06-22. Retrieved 2020-08-01.
- "For Dave Clark Five, the accolades finally arrive - USATODAY.com". usatoday30.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-08-02.
- "Inside the Jackson machine". British GQ. 7 February 2018. Retrieved 2020-08-02.
- "Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five: inducted in 2007". The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum. 2012-10-09. Archived from the original on 2012-10-09. Retrieved 2020-08-02.
- "Fifth Harmony's 'Reflection,' Halsey's 'Badlands' Certified Gold As RIAA Adds Track Sales, Streams". Headline Planet. 2016-02-01. Retrieved 2020-08-02.
- "Discography; Ben Folds Five". Australian Charts. Retrieved 2020-08-02.
- Niesel, Jeff. "R5 Opts for a More Mature Sound on its Latest Album, 'Sometime Last Night'". Cleveland Scene. Retrieved 2020-08-02.
- Danneley, John Feltham (1825). An Encyclopaedia, Or Dictionary of Music ...: With Upwards of Two Hundred Engraved Examples, the Whole Compiled from the Most Celebrated Foreign and English Authorities, Interspersed with Observations Critical and Explanatory. editor, and pub.
are the perfect fourth, perfect fifth, and the octave
- "STAVE | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary". dictionary.cambridge.org. Retrieved 2020-08-02.
the five lines and four spaces between them on which musical notes are written
- Ammer, Christine (2004). The Facts on File Dictionary of Music. Infobase Publishing. p. 331. ISBN 978-1-4381-3009-5.
Quintet 1 An ensemble made up of five instruments or voices
- Ricker, Ramon (1999-11-27). Pentatonic Scales for Jazz Improvisation. Alfred Music. p. 2. ISBN 978-1-4574-9410-9.
Pentatonic scales, as used in jazz, are five note scales
- Sweney, Mark (2010-08-11). "Richard Desmond rebrands Five as Channel 5". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2020-08-03.
- Interaksyon (2017-10-12). "ESPN-5 IS HERE | TV5 announces partnership with 'Worldwide Leader in Sports'". Interaksyon. Retrieved 2020-08-03.
- "Everything You Need To Know About Babylon 5". io9. Retrieved 2020-08-03.
- "BBC – Norfolk On Stage – HI-5 Comes Alive at the Theatre Royal". www.bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2020-08-03.
- Odyssey 5, retrieved 2020-08-03
- Hawaii Five-0, retrieved 2020-08-03
- Powers, Kevin (2019-03-06). "The Moral Clarity of 'Slaughterhouse-Five' at 50". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2020-08-03.
- "Olympic Rings – Symbol of the Olympic Movement". International Olympic Committee. 2020-06-23. Retrieved 2020-08-02.
- "Rules of the Game". FIBA.basketball. Retrieved 2020-08-02.
- Macalister, Terry (2007-09-04). "Popularity of five-a-side kicks off profits". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2020-08-02.
- Sharp, Anne Wallace (2010-11-08). Ice Hockey. Greenhaven Publishing LLC. p. 18. ISBN 978-1-4205-0589-4.
Major penalties of five minutes
- Blevins, David (2012). The Sports Hall of Fame Encyclopedia: Baseball, Basketball, Football, Hockey, Soccer. Rowman & Littlefield. p. 585. ISBN 978-0-8108-6130-5.
scoring five goals in five different ways: an even-strength goal, a power-play goal, a shorthanded goal, a penalty shot goal...
- Times, The New York (2004-11-05). The New York Times Guide to Essential Knowledge: A Desk Reference for the Curious Mind. Macmillan. p. 713. ISBN 978-0-312-31367-8.
five-hole the space between a goaltender's legs
- McNeely, Scott (2012-09-14). Ultimate Book of Sports: The Essential Collection of Rules, Stats, and Trivia for Over 250 Sports. Chronicle Books. p. 189. ISBN 978-1-4521-2187-1.
a “try,” worth 5 points;
- Poulton, Mark L. (1997). Fuel Efficient Car Technology. Computational Mechanics Publications. p. 65. ISBN 978-1-85312-447-1.
The 5 - speed manual gearbox is likely to remain the most common type
- "What Does "Five by Five" mean? | Five by Five Definition Brand Evolution". Five by Five. 2019-07-16. Retrieved 2020-08-02.
- Gaskin, Shelley (2009-01-31). Go! with 2007. CRC PRESS. p. 615. ISBN 978-0-13-239020-0.
the number 5 key has a raised bar or dot that helps you identify it by touch
- Stewart, George (1985). The C-64 Program Factory. Osborn McGraw-Hill. p. 278. ISBN 978-0-88134-150-8.
...digit in the phone number is a 5 , which corresponds to the triplet J , K , L
- Atlantic (2007-06-13). Encyclopedia Of Information Technology. Atlantic Publishers & Dist. p. 659. ISBN 978-81-269-0752-6.
The Pentium is a fifth-generation x86 architecture...
- Stevens, E. S. (2020-06-16). Green Plastics: An Introduction to the New Science of Biodegradable Plastics. Princeton University Press. p. 45. ISBN 978-0-691-21417-7.
- Corporation, Bonnier (1937). Popular Science. Bonnier Corporation. p. 32.
...another picture of one of the world's most famous babies was made. Fred Davis is official photographer of the Dionne quintuplets...
- Smith, Rich (2010-09-01). Fifth Amendment: The Right to Fairness. ABDO Publishing Company. p. 20. ISBN 978-1-61784-256-6.
Someone who stands on his or her right to avoid self incrimination is said in street language to be “taking the Fifth,” or “pleading the Fifth.”
- Veith (Jr.), Gene Edward; Wilson, Douglas (2009). Omnibus IV: The Ancient World. Veritas Press. p. 52. ISBN 978-1-932168-86-0.
The most common accentual-syllabic lines are five-foot iambic lines (iambic pentameter)
- Kronland-Martinet, Richard; Ystad, Sølvi; Jensen, Kristoffer (2008-07-19). Computer Music Modeling and Retrieval. Sense of Sounds: 4th International Symposium, CMMR 2007, Copenhagen, Denmark, August 2007, Revised Papers. Springer. p. 502. ISBN 978-3-540-85035-9.
Plato and Aristotle postulated a fifth state of matter, which they called "idea" or quintessence" (from "quint" which means "fifth")
- Roads, United States Congress Senate Committee on Public Works Subcommittee on (1970). Designating Highway U.S. 50 as Part of the Interstate System, Nevada: Hearings, Ninety-first Congress, First Session; Carson City, Nevada, October 6, 1969; [and] Ely, Nevada, October 7, 1969. U.S. Government Printing Office. p. 78.
- Sonderman, Joe (2010). Route 66 in New Mexico. Arcadia Publishing. p. 7. ISBN 978-0-7385-8029-6.
North - south highways got odd numbers , the most important ending in 5
- Marcus, Jacqueline B. (2013-04-15). Culinary Nutrition: The Science and Practice of Healthy Cooking. Academic Press. p. 55. ISBN 978-0-12-391883-3.
There are five basic tastes: sweet, salty, sour, bitter and umami...
- Cusack, Professor Carole M. (2013-06-28). Invented Religions: Imagination, Fiction and Faith. Ashgate Publishing, Ltd. p. 31. ISBN 978-1-4094-8103-4.
Law of Fives is never wrong'. This law is the reason 23 is a significant number for Discordians...
- Lazarus, Richard J. (2020-03-10). The Rule of Five: Making Climate History at the Supreme Court. Harvard University Press. p. 252. ISBN 978-0-674-24515-0.
...Justice Brennan's infamous "Rule of Five,"
- Laplante, Philip A. (2018-10-03). Comprehensive Dictionary of Electrical Engineering. CRC Press. p. 562. ISBN 978-1-4200-3780-7.
quincunx five points
- Hargrove, Julia (2000-03-01). John F. Kennedy's Inaugural Address. Lorenz Educational Press. p. 24. ISBN 978-1-57310-222-3.
The five permanent members have a veto power over actions proposed by members of the United Nations.
- Adams, Mark (2015-03-10). Meet Me in Atlantis: My Obsessive Quest to Find the Sunken City. Penguin. p. 272. ISBN 978-0-698-18621-7.
...between two of a pentagon's five interior angles to the length of any of its five sides is the golden section..
- Hand, Seven Star (2010-09-17). Finishing the Mysteries of Gods and Symbols: Volume 0. Seven Star Hand. p. 90. ISBN 978-1-257-93419-5.
...the pentacle as a five-pointed star (pentagram) ...
- McGee, Steven R. (2012-01-01). Evidence-based Physical Diagnosis. Elsevier Health Sciences. p. 120. ISBN 978-1-4377-2207-9.
There are five Korotkoff phases...
- "punch | Origin and meaning of punch by Online Etymology Dictionary". www.etymonline.com. Retrieved 2020-08-01.
...said to derive from Hindi panch "five," in reference to the number of original ingredients
- Berke, Richard L.; Times, Special To the New York (1990-10-15). "G.O.P. Senators See Politics In Pace of Keating 5 Inquiry". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2020-08-01.
- "Keith Giffen Revives Inferior Five for DC Comics in September – What to Do With Woody Allen?". bleedingcool.com. 14 June 2019. Retrieved 2020-08-01.
- "For the first time". Inside Chanel. Retrieved 2020-08-01.
- Beeman, Richard R. (2013-05-07). Our Lives, Our Fortunes and Our Sacred Honor: The Forging of American Independence, 1774–1776. Basic Books. p. 407. ISBN 978-0-465-03782-7.
On Friday, June 28, the Committee of Five delivered its revised draft of Jefferson's draft of the Declaration of Independence
- Skarnulis, Leanna. "5 Second Rule For Food". WebMD. Retrieved 2020-08-01.
- Newsweek. Newsweek. 1963. p. 71.
His newest characters: a boy named 555 95472, or 5 for short,
- Wells, D. The Penguin Dictionary of Curious and Interesting Numbers London: Penguin Group. (1987): 58–67