48th Tony Awards
|48th Tony Awards|
Official poster for the 48th annual Tony Awards
|Date||June 12, 1994|
|Location||Gershwin Theatre, New York City, New York|
|Hosted by||Sir Anthony Hopkins,|
George Abbott, Alan Alda, Jane Alexander, Carol Burnett, Nell Carter, Glenn Close, Tony Danza, Ossie Davis, Ruby Dee, Peter Falk, Melanie Griffith, Madeline Kahn, Harvey Keitel, Jack Klugman, Swoosie Kurtz, Linda Lavin, Michael Learned, Steve Martin, Bebe Neuwirth, Rosie O'Donnell, Bernadette Peters, Tony Randall, Tony Roberts, Martin Short, Paul Sorvino, Jean Stapleton, Marlo Thomas, Gwen Verdon, Vanessa L. Williams
Victor Garber introduced scenes from the 1994 nominees for Best Revival of a Musical:
- Grease ("We Go Together" – Company);
- She Loves Me ("I Don't Know His Name"/"She Loves Me" – Diane Fratantoni, Sally Mayes and Boyd Gaines);
- Damn Yankees ("Shoeless Joe From Hannibal, Mo." – Vicki Lewis and Company);
- Carousel ("You'll Never Walk Alone"- Shirley Verrett and Company).
- Vanessa L. Williams on live remote from Toronto introduced Show Boat ("Ol' Man River" – Michel Bell and Company).
- A Grand Night for Singing ("People Will Say We're in Love"/"Some Enchanted Evening"/"It's a Grand Night for Singing" – Company);
- Beauty and the Beast ("Me"/"Be Our Guest"/"If I Can't Love Her"/"Beauty and the Beast" – Company);
- Cyrano: The Musical (Company);
- Passion ("Happiness"/"Drums and Music"/"Finale" – Company).
This was the first year for several awards: the award for Best Revival was given separately for plays and musicals, and the "Lifetime Achievement Award". The first Lifetime Achievement Award was presented to husband-and-wife Jessica Tandy and Hume Cronyn by another husband-and-wife, Ossie Davis and Ruby Dee.
Award winners and nomineesEdit
Winners are in bold
Special Tony AwardsEdit
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (Pennsylvania), Christopher Rawson, p. D4, June 14, 1994