This article does not cite any sources. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Year 466 (CDLXVI) was a common year starting on Saturday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Leo and Tatianus (or, less frequently, year 1219 Ab urbe condita). The denomination 466 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
|Ab urbe condita||1219|
|Balinese saka calendar||387–388|
|Chinese calendar||乙巳年 (Wood Snake)|
3162 or 3102
— to —
丙午年 (Fire Horse)
3163 or 3103
|- Vikram Samvat||522–523|
|- Shaka Samvat||387–388|
|- Kali Yuga||3566–3567|
|Iranian calendar||156 BP – 155 BP|
|Islamic calendar||161 BH – 160 BH|
|Minguo calendar||1446 before ROC|
|Seleucid era||777/778 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||1008–1009|
592 or 211 or −561
— to —
593 or 212 or −560
- Emperor Leo I repels the Hun invasion of Dacia (modern Romania). They ravage the Balkans but are unable to take Constantinople thanks to the city walls, which are rebuilt and reinforced.
- Tarasicodissa, an Isaurian officer, comes with evidence that Ardabur (magister militum) is forming a conspiracy against Leo I. Ardabur is arrested for treason.
- Tarasicodissa adopts the Greek name of Zeno and marries Ariadne, eldest daughter of Leo I (approximate date).
- King Theodoric II is killed by his younger brother Euric, who succeeds him on the throne. He conquers Hispania and the harbor city of Marseille (Southern Gaul), adding them to the existing Visigothic Kingdom.
- Euric sends an embassy to the Eastern Roman Empire for recognition of the Visigoth sovereignty. He forms an alliance with the Suebi and the Vandals.
- A council of twelve townships emerges on the islands in the Venetian lagoon, to form a basic system of governance (approximate date).