40th Air Refueling Squadron
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The 40th Air Refueling Squadron is an inactive United States Air Force unit. It was last assigned to the 310th Strategic Aerospace Wing, stationed at Schilling AFB, Kansas. It was inactivated on 15 March 1963.
|40th Air Refueling Squadron|
40th Air Refueling Squadron emblem
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Part of||SAC/40 SW|
|Garrison/HQ||Schilling AFB, Kansas|
The unit was initially a World War II B-17 Flying Fortress and B-24 Liberator operational training unit (OTU). Redesignated as a replacement training unit (RTU) in October 1943. Inactivated in April 1944 when Second Air Force ended heavy bomber training.
The squadron was reactivated in 1952 as a Strategic Air Command KC-97 Stratotanker squadron, providing air refueling to USAF units. The squadron was inactivated in 1963 as part of the phaseout of the KC-97 from SAC.
On 19 Sep 1985 the 40th Air Refueling Squadron was consolidated with the 540th Bombardment Squadron, (Heavy), a unit that was last active 1 Apr 1944. This action was directed by Department of the Air Force Letter DAF/MPM 662q Attachment 2 (Inactive Units), 19 Sep 1985. The Consolidated Unit will retain the Designation of 40th Air Refueling Squadron, Heavy".
- Constituted 540th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) on 28 Oct 1942
- Activated on 3 Nov 1942
- Inactivated on 1 Apr 1944
- Consolidated (19 Sep 1985) with 40th Air Refueling Squadron, Medium
- Constituted on 18 Jun 1952
- Activated on 8 Jul 1952
- Discontinued on 15 Mar 1963.
- 383d Bombardment Group, 3 Nov 1942-1 Apr 1944
- 40th Bombardment Wing, 8 Jul 1952
- 310th Bomb (later, 310th Strategic Aerospace) Wing, 1 Jun 1960-15 Mar 1963
- Salt Lake City Army Air Base, Utah, 3 Nov 1942
- Rapid City Army Air Base, South Dakota, 12 Nov 1942
- Ainsworth Army Airfield, Nebraska, 13 Dec 1942
- Rapid City Army Air Base, South Dakota, 26 Apr 1943
- Geiger Field, Washington, 20 Jun 1943
- Peterson Field, Colorado, c. 26 Oct 1943-1 Apr 1944
- Smoky Hill (later, Schilling) AFB, Kansas, 8 Jul 1952-15 Mar 1963.