This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Year 402 (CDII) was a common year starting on Wednesday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Arcadius and Honorius (or, less frequently, year 1155 Ab urbe condita). The denomination 402 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
|Ab urbe condita||1155|
|Balinese saka calendar||323–324|
|Chinese calendar||辛丑年 (Metal Ox)|
3098 or 3038
— to —
壬寅年 (Water Tiger)
3099 or 3039
|- Vikram Samvat||458–459|
|- Shaka Samvat||323–324|
|- Kali Yuga||3502–3503|
|Iranian calendar||220 BP – 219 BP|
|Islamic calendar||227 BH – 226 BH|
|Minguo calendar||1510 before ROC|
|Seleucid era||713/714 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||944–945|
528 or 147 or −625
— to —
529 or 148 or −624
- The Visigoths advance on Mediolanum (modern Milan) and besiege Asti in Liguria. King Alaric I sends envoys to negotiate a peace, but the Roman government refuses to make deals with "barbarians."
- April 6 – Battle of Pollentia: Stilicho recalls troops from Britain and the Rhine frontier to defend Italy. He decides to attack the Goths on Easter Sunday, and manages to capture Alaric's wife and children.
- Emperors Arcadius and his younger brother Honorius become Roman consuls.
- King Gwanggaeto the Great of Goguryeo (Korea) defeats the forces of Later Yan, seizing some of their border fortresses.
- The Avars, led by Shelun (Chö-louen), having defeated the Gaoju Dingling (Kao-kiu Ting-ling) near Kobbo, establish a nomadic empire that ranges from Mongolia to the Irtysh.
- Fa-Hien, Chinese Buddhist monk, makes a pilgrimage to India, initiating Sino-Indian relations. Stirred by his faith to Buddhism, he visits the sites of Siddhartha Gautama's life.
- Silseong becomes king of the Korean kingdom of Silla.
- Jerome writes "Apologiae contra Rufinum" and "Liber tertius seu ultima responsio adversus scripta Rufini".
- The Pure Land school of Buddhism founds a monastery upon the top of Mount Lushan.
- Porphyry of Gaza orders the destruction of pagan temples in Gaza.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (October 2017)
- "List of Rulers of Korea". www.metmuseum.org. Retrieved April 21, 2019.