34th Tony Awards
The 34th Annual Tony Awards was broadcast by CBS television on June 8, 1980, from the Mark Hellinger Theatre. The hosts were Mary Tyler Moore and Jason Robards. The theme was "understudies"; each of the hosts and presenters had been understudies and offered anecdotes of that beginning.
|34th Tony Awards|
|Date||June 8, 1980|
|Location||Mark Hellinger Theatre, New York City, New York|
|Hosted by||Mary Tyler Moore and Jason Robards|
Presenters: Eve Arden, Carol Channing, Hume Cronyn, Faye Dunaway, Mia Farrow, James Earl Jones, Elia Kazan, Richard Kiley, James MacArthur, Nancy Marchand, Dudley Moore, Anthony Perkins, Gilda Radner, Lynn Redgrave, Tony Roberts, Jessica Tandy, Cicely Tyson, Dick Van Dyke.
- A Day in Hollywood / A Night in the Ukraine ("Doin' the Production Code" - Company)
- Barnum ("Come Follow the Band"/"There is a Sucker Born Ev'ry Minute" - Jim Dale and Company)
- Evita ("New Argentina" - Patti LuPone and Company)
- Oklahoma! ("People Will Say We're In Love" - Joel Higgins and Christine Andreas)
- Peter Pan ("I'm Flying" - Sandy Duncan and children)
- Sugar Babies ("A McHugh Medley" - Ann Miller and Mickey Rooney)
- West Side Story ("America" - Debbie Allen and Company)
Winners and nomineesEdit
Winners are in bold
- Lawrence Langner Memorial Award for Distinguished Lifetime Achievement in the American Theatre — Helen Hayes
- Regional Theatre Award Winner - Actors Theatre of Louisville, Kentucky
- Mary Tyler Moore, Whose Life Is It Anyway?.
Multiple nominations and awardsEdit
These productions had multiple nominations:
The following productions received multiple awards.