This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2019)
Year 344 (CCCXLIV) was a leap year starting on Sunday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Leontius and Bonosus (or, less frequently, year 1097 Ab urbe condita). The denomination 344 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
|Ab urbe condita||1097|
|Balinese saka calendar||265–266|
|Chinese calendar||癸卯年 (Water Rabbit)|
3040 or 2980
— to —
甲辰年 (Wood Dragon)
3041 or 2981
|- Vikram Samvat||400–401|
|- Shaka Samvat||265–266|
|- Kali Yuga||3444–3445|
|Iranian calendar||278 BP – 277 BP|
|Islamic calendar||287 BH – 286 BH|
|Minguo calendar||1568 before ROC|
|Seleucid era||655/656 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||886–887|
470 or 89 or −683
— to —
471 or 90 or −682
- The Eastern Roman Emperor Constantius II campaigns in eastern Mesopotamia, against the Sassanid Persians.
- Battle of Singara: The Roman army under Constantius wins a close victory, at the strongly fortified city of Singara (Mesopotamia). His enemy, King Shapur II, is forced to lift the siege, and withdraw the Persian army.
- Shapur II besieges, for the second time, the Roman fortress of Nisibis in eastern Mesopotamia, but is repulsed by forces under General Lucilianus.
- Jin Mudi, age 1, succeeds his father Jin Kangdi as emperor of China. His mother, Empress Dowager Chu, becomes the ruling authority at court, and serves as regent.
- Gye becomes king of the Korean kingdom of Baekje.
- The making of a detail of Admonitions of the Imperial Instructress to Court Ladies (attributed to Gu Kaizhi and being from the Six Dynasties period) begins (approximate year) and is completed in 406. It is now kept at the British Museum, London.
- April 14
- August 20 – Heliodorus of Bet Zabdai, bishop and martyr
- November 17 – Jin Kangdi, emperor of the Jin Dynasty (b. 322)
- "List of Rulers of Korea". www.metmuseum.org. Retrieved April 20, 2019.