31st Tony Awards
|31st Tony Awards|
|Date||June 5, 1977|
|Location||Shubert Theatre, New York City, New York|
|Hosted by||Jonathan Winters|
Hosts-Performers-Presenters were Jack Albertson, Beatrice Arthur, Buddy Ebsen, Damon Evans, Jean Stapleton, and Leslie Uggams. Additional presenters-performers were Diana Ross, Jane Alexander, Alan Arkin, Lauren Bacall, Valerie Harper, Barry Manilow, Robert Preston, Tony Randall, and Lily Tomlin.
The theme of the show was survival; each host performed a solo, with songs of determination and perseverance, including "I'm Still Here", "Before the Parade Passes By", "Don't Rain On My Parade", "September Song", "You'll Never Walk Alone", "New York City Rhythm", "Climb Ev'ry Mountain" and "Being Alive".
- Annie ("You're Never Fully Dressed Without A Smile"/"Easy Street"/"Tomorrow" - Andrea McArdle, Dorothy Loudon and Company)
- Happy End ("Bilbao Song" - Company)
- I Love My Wife ("I Love My Wife"/"Married Couple Seeks Married Couple"/"Hey There, Good Times" - Company)
- Side by Side by Sondheim ("I'm Still Here" - Millicent Martin)
Winners and nomineesEdit
Winners are in bold
- Regional Theatre Award – Mark Taper Forum
- Lawrence Langner Award – Cheryl Crawford
- Lily Tomlin
- Barry Manilow
- Diana Ross for An Evening with Diana Ross
- National Theatre For the Deaf
- Equity Library Theatre
Multiple nominations and awardsEdit
These productions had multiple nominations:
The following productions received multiple awards.