Artists Under the Big Top: Perplexed
|Festival date||25 August – 7 September 1968|
The May 1968 events in France had serious repercussions on this festival. Five days before the festival was to be held, directors of the Italian filmmakers association ANAC, for both political and cultural reasons, withdrew their films from the competition. The Communist Party and the Socialist Party of Proletarian Unity were in favor of the boycott. Some directors, however, defected from this decision and Roberto Rossellini, Liliana Cavani, Bernardo Bertolucci and Nelo Risi decided to project their films. Pier Paolo Pasolini initially refused to participate at the festival, but finally his film entered in Competition.
During the inauguration day, the police had occupied the Palazzo del Cinema del Lido. The inauguration ceremony was skipped and a decision was taken to go ahead with the festival in a self-managed way, with the director of the festival, Chiarini, as chairman. The next day the police intervened and the meetings were canceled. Finally the competition started on the evening of 27 August, while demonstrations against "the fascist and bourgeois exhibition" were taking place outside the Palazzo.
- Guido Piovene, Italian writer and journalist - Jury President
- Jacques Doniol-Valcroze, French actor and filmmaker
- Akira Iwasaki, Japanese producer and film critic
- Roger Manvell, British author and filmmaker
- István Nemeskürty, Hungarian screenwriter and producer
- Vicente Antonio Pineda, Spanish
- Edgar Reitz, West-German director and producer
Official Selections edit
|English title||Original title||Director(s)||Production country|
|Artists Under the Big Top: Perplexed||Die Artisten in der Zirkuskuppel: Ratlos||Alexander Kluge||West Germany|
|Faces||John Cassavetes||United States|
|Mandabi||Le Mandat||Ousmane Sembène||France, Senegal|
|Our Lady of the Turks||Nostra Signora dei Turchi||Carmelo Bene||Italy|
|Socrates||Le Socrate||Robert Lapoujade||France|
|Theorem||Teorema||Pier Paolo Pasolini||Italy|
Official Awards edit
Main Competition edit
- Golden Lion: Artists Under the Big Top: Perplexed by Alexander Kluge
- Special Jury Prize:
- Volpi Cup for Best Actor: John Marley for Faces
- Volpi Cup for Best Actress: Laura Betti for Teorema
- Honorable Mention: Kierion by Dimos Theos
Pasinetti Award edit
- "The 1960s". Archived from the original on October 7, 2013. Retrieved October 7, 2013.
- "Mostra del cinema di Venecia, anni '60". Giorgio dell'Arti (in Italian). Archived from the original on 1 April 2018. Retrieved 31 March 2018.
- Guider, Elizabeth (September 4, 2005). "Protests at '68 Venice fest got a reality Czech". Variety. Retrieved April 22, 2020.
- "Juries for the 1960s". Retrieved October 7, 2013.
- Gadjigo, Samba (April 11, 2007). "Ousmane Sembène: une conscience africaine : genèse d'un destin hors du commun". Homnisphères – via Google Books.
- "Hommage à Patrick G. Ilboudo". Regard. April 11, 1995 – via Google Books.
- Bory, Jean-Louis; Cluny, Claude Michel (April 11, 1972). "Dossiers du cinéma: Cinéastes". Casterman – via Google Books.