This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The 24th century in the Anno domini or Common Era of the Gregorian calendar will begin on January 1, 2301 and end on December 31, 2400. Unlike most century years, the year 2400 will be a leap year, and the next century leap year in the Gregorian calendar after 2000.
Astronomical predictions set in the 24th centuryEdit
List of the long total solar eclipsesEdit
- June 9, 2309 : Solar eclipse, (6 min 30 s), of saros 142.
- June 20, 2327 : Solar eclipse, (6 min 21 s), of saros 142.
- June 30, 2345 : Solar eclipse, (6 min 07 s), of saros 142.
- July 12, 2363 : Solar eclipse, (5 min 51 s), of saros 142.
- July 22, 2381 : Solar eclipse, (5 min 33 s), of saros 142.
- August 2, 2399 : Solar eclipse, (5 min 14 s), of saros 142.
- September 11, 2307: At 22:50 UTC, Venus will occult Uranus.
- 2313: Triple conjunction Mars-Jupiter.
- 2319: Triple conjunction Mars-Saturn.
- June 4, 2327: At 00:54 UTC, Venus will occult Mars.
- October 8, 2335: At 14:51 UTC, Venus will occult Jupiter.
- April 7, 2351: At 17:22 UTC, Mercury will occult Uranus.
- December 13, 2360: Transit of Venus.
- 2365: Perihelion of Comet Halley.
- December 10, 2368: Transit of Venus.
- 2388: Triple conjunction Mars-Saturn.
- May 11, 2391: Partial transit of Mercury.
- November 17, 2400: Venus will occult Antares (last occultation of Antares by Venus was on September 17, 525 BC).
Science fiction set in the 24th centuryEdit
- The novel 2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson takes place in 2312.
- Bis zum Nullpunkt des Seins ("To the Zero Point of Existence"), written in 1871 by Kurd Laßwitz, is set in the year 2371.
- The novel Bikini Planet by David S. Garnett takes place at the beginning of the 24th century.
- The Fortunate Fall, a novel by Raphael Carter.
- The novel The World Inside (1971) by Robert Silverberg takes place in 2381.
- Scott Westerfeld novel series Uglies takes place 300 years from the year the first book (Uglies) was published.
- Alliance-Union universe, backdrop for a series of novels by C. J. Cherryh starting in the 23rd century.
- Expedition, subtitled Being an Account in Words and Artwork of the 2358 AD. Voyage to Darwin IV. Humans have made their world very toxic killing most life-forms and forcing them to use other technology. They have also started studying Darwin IV, a planet bursting with life.
- In the Doctor Who novel The Stone Rose, Vanessa comes from the year 2375.
- Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained by Peter F. Hamilton are set in the 24th century.
- In The Time Machine an added chapter from the Great Illustrated Classics, the Time Traveller sets his Time Machine to stop at the 24th century on his way back to the year 1895, to find if humanity has made any achievements in his future. He finds a highly advanced society, but later learns that Earth is in World War III, from top to bottom. Time Travel has been made illegal in this time period and the time traveler is about to be arrested but manages to escape into 1895.
- Dead Space: Catalyst by B. K. Evenson. The book takes places in 2314, 100 years after Martyr.
- The 1986 Twilight Zone episode "Quarantine" takes place in 2347.
- Duck Dodgers in the 24½th Century and its TV series adaptation (c. 2350).
- In the episode "Attack of Big MACC" in the 1987 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon series, the "thinking" robot MACC leaves his time (2390) and time travels back to the late 1980s. MACC later returns to his own time after helping the TMNT fight Krang, Shredder, Bebop, and Rocksteady.
- The episode "Future sounds and Festival songs" in the Disney Channel series Austin and Ally is set in 2345
- Tom Corbett, Space Cadet is active in the year 2352.
- The 1980 apocalyptic anime series Space Runaway Ideon occurs in the 24th century.
- In the animated series Futurama, 2303 is the year that the Monks of Dschubba started looking for God through their giant telescope. The following year, the Robot Devil passes the "Fairness in Hell Act of 2304", stating that he can grant them freedom from Robot Hell if they beat him in a fiddle-playing contest. Four years later, a time-traveling Bender Bending Rodríguez interrupts the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony and while being chased down is inadvertently responsible for the destruction of New York City which makes way for New New York City. Per the episode Space Pilot 3000, by the 31st century, the slang phrase "[to] go 24th century on [someone]" has roughly the same meaning as the modern slang phrase "[to] go medieval on [someone]," i.e. to attack with particular brutality, implying that the destruction of New York City heralded a new dark age for Earth.
- The anime series Mobile Suit Gundam 00 takes place between the years 2307 and 2312.
- The anime series Turn A Gundam takes place in the year 2345.
- The TV series Cold Lazarus is set in the year 2368.
Star Trek seriesEdit
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and Star Trek: Voyager, as well as the films Star Trek Generations, Star Trek: First Contact, Star Trek: Insurrection, and Star Trek: Nemesis are set in the 24th century, as is a brief flashback segment of Star Trek (2009).
Star Trek: The Next GenerationEdit
- Jean-Luc Picard, born July 13, 2305.
- Beverly Crusher, born 2324.
- William T. Riker, born 2335.
- Geordi La Forge, born 2335.
- Deanna Troi, born March 29, 2336.
- Tasha Yar, born 2337, died 2364.
- Data, activated February 2, 2338.
- Worf, born 2340.
- Wesley Crusher, born 2348.
- The USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-D), the fifth Federation starship to bear the name, is launched; 2363.
- Events of Star Trek: The Next Generation (c. 2364–2370).
- Events of Star Trek Generations (c. 2371); death of Captain James T. Kirk; destruction of Enterprise NCC-1701-D
- Events of Star Trek: First Contact (c. 2373). By this point, Picard is in command of the Enterprise NCC-1701-E
- Events of Star Trek: Insurrection (c. 2375).
- Events of Star Trek: Nemesis (c. 2379). William Riker promoted to captain and given command of U.S.S. Titan; "death" of Data.
Star Trek: Deep Space NineEdit
- Benjamin Sisko, born 2332.
- Quark, born c. 2333.
- Odo, discovered 2337.
- Miles O'Brien, born September 2328.
- Jadzia Dax, born 2341.
- Kira Nerys, born 2343.
- Ezri Dax, born 2354.
- Nog, born c. 2353.
- Jake Sisko, born 2355.
- Events of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (c. 2369–2375).
Star Trek: VoyagerEdit
- Tuvok, born 2264.
- Chakotay, born 2329.
- Kathryn Janeway, born May 20, c. 2336.
- Neelix, born c. 2337.
- Tom Paris, born c. 2346.
- B'Elanna Torres, born 2349.
- Harry Kim, born 2349.
- Seven of Nine, born June 24, 2350.
- Kes, born 2370.
- The Doctor, activated 2371.
- Naomi Wildman, born March 18, 2373.
- Events of Star Trek: Voyager (c. 2371–2378).
Other Star TrekEdit
- Star Trek (unknown date, late 24th century): efforts to prevent the Romulan Empire's homeworld from being destroyed result in Spock and the ship and crew of a Romulan vessel being sent back in time to the mid-23rd century. The Romulan vessel arrives first and engages in activities that create an alternate timeline; Spock arrives later.
- In Contra, Java (Red Falcon in North America) is born in 2395.
- A map for role-playing plug-in for the widely popular Half-Life modification The Specialists, named by the creators of the Havoc9 Gaming Network as Xenon City takes place in the years 2346 to its destruction that takes place 70 years later.
- The Sequel to Ben Croshaw's Game 5 Days A Stranger, 7 Days A Skeptic takes place over a week in 2386.
- Many games based in the Star Trek universe take place in the 24th century.
- In the StarCraft series, 40,000 humans are exiled from Earth in 2309. They reach the Koprulu Sector on the Galactic Rim in 2337. Stranded on three separate worlds, they are reunited in 2397.
- The FreeSpace Series, a sci-fi space starfighter sim, takes place from 2335 to 2367.
- Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos, a large-scale spacecraft game, takes place in years 2378 and 2393.
- The Journeyman Project, a computer game, set in 2318.
- The Journeyman Project: Buried in Time, a computer game, set in 2328.
- Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri takes place in 2327, usually referred to as ClanYear 124, in the date system used by the Clans inhabiting Alpha Centauri.
- Unreal Tournament series, a first-person shooter (c. 2341–2362).
- Mega Man Zero takes place sometime after 2302, but officially takes place in 22XX, at least three years earlier.
- 2348 Gain Ground.
- The character R.A.X. Coswell from the Sega Genesis video game, Eternal Champions is from the year 2345.
- Operation: Matriarchy takes place around 2350.
- In the Star Fleet Universe, Y1—the year of First Contact between humanity and the Vulcans, has been postulated as occurring in 2400, although Star Trek: First Contact previously mentioned identifies the year of first contact as 2063.
- The TimeSplitters 2 level 'Robot Factory' is set in the year 2315.
- The Killzone series takes place in the years 2357–2390.
- The Zybourne Clock epic begins on Wednesday, January 19, 2381. (In actuality, this date falls on a Monday.)
- Jak II and Jak 3 take place in the years 2303 and 2304, respectively. Jak II takes place 300 years after Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy.
- Dead Space 3 prologue is set in June 18, 2314.
- In Grand Theft Auto IV the character Elizabeta Torres is arrested and sentenced to 300 years, from 2008 to 2308.
- In Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time, Far Future takes place in 2323.
- "Solar eclipse of June 9, 2309".
- "Solar eclipse of June 20, 2327".
- "Solar eclipse of June 30, 2345".
- "Solar eclipse of July 12, 2363".
- "Solar eclipse of July 22, 2381".
- "Solar eclipse of August 2, 2399".
- The Star Trek Chronology
- "O'Brien, Miles". StarTrek.com.
- "Dax, Ezri". StarTrek.com.
- "Nog". StarTrek.com.
- "Tuvok". StarTrek.com.
- "Chakotay". StarTrek.com.
- "Kim, Harry". StarTrek.com.
- "Kes". StarTrek.com.
- "Doctor, The". StarTrek.com.
- One page of Space Moose & the time machine.