This article does not cite any sources. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Year 235 (CCXXXV) was a common year starting on Thursday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar, the 235th Year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 235th year of the 1st millennium, the 35th year of the 3rd century, and the 6th year of the 230s decade. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Severus and Quintianus (or, less frequently, year 988 Ab urbe condita). The denomination 235 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
|Ab urbe condita||988|
|Balinese saka calendar||156–157|
|Chinese calendar||甲寅年 (Wood Tiger)|
2931 or 2871
— to —
乙卯年 (Wood Rabbit)
2932 or 2872
|Coptic calendar||−49 – −48|
|- Vikram Samvat||291–292|
|- Shaka Samvat||156–157|
|- Kali Yuga||3335–3336|
|Iranian calendar||387 BP – 386 BP|
|Islamic calendar||399 BH – 398 BH|
|Minguo calendar||1677 before ROC|
|Seleucid era||546/547 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||777–778|
361 or −20 or −792
— to —
362 or −19 or −791
- Said to have been the beginning of the decline of the Roman empire.
- March 19 – Emperor Alexander Severus and his mother Iulia Mamaea are murdered by their own soldiers near Moguntiacum (modern Mainz); Legio XXII Primigenia mutinies. The Severan dynasty ends. This marks the epoch event of the Crisis of the Third Century.
- March 20 – Maximinus Thrax, age 62, is proclaimed Augustus. He is not a senator but the second emperor of the equestrian order since Macrinus 17 years earlier. Maximinus had been a common soldier in the army, serving in the Auxilia and the Imperial Horseguards to become governor of several provinces.
- Widely considered to be the beginning of the Crisis of the Third Century: The Roman Empire is under pressure by the Alamanni, Franks, Goths, Quadi and Sassanids (Persia).
- September 28 – Pope Pontian resigns, the first to abdicate, because he and Hippolytus, church leader of Rome, are exiled to the mines of Sardinia. Emperor Maximinus persecutes the Christians.
- November 21 – Pope Anterus succeeds Pontian as the nineteenth pope.
- Origen makes revisions to the Septuagint.