"21 Summer" is a song by recorded American country music duo Brothers Osborne. The song was released in February 2016 as the duo's fourth single overall and the third from the album Pawn Shop. Duo members John and T.J. Osborne co-wrote the song with Craig Wiseman.
|Single by Brothers Osborne|
|from the album Pawn Shop|
|Released||February 29, 2016|
|Brothers Osborne singles chronology|
The song is a nostalgic song recalling a former love that the narrator had in the summertime. John Osborne said, "It’s about looking back on a time in your life, regardless of how a previous relationship went. Whatever went wrong seemed to drift away and you only remember the glow of it, and the beauty of it and the importance of it."
The brothers originally cut a demo of the song featuring a vocal hook. When recording the full version of the song with producer Jay Joyce, the hook was played on John's guitar and echoed by the brothers' sister, Natalie, along with bassist Pete Sternberg and Lucie Silvas, who is John Osborne's wife. Drummer Adam Box plays a muted snare drum with a mallet. The brothers said that they wanted the song to have a vibe similar to a Jackson Browne song.
The song peaked at No. 25 on the Hot Country Songs chart and No. 24 on Country Airplay. It has sold 138,000 copies in the United States as of November 2016.
- Roland, Tom (March 23, 2016). "Brothers Osborne's '21 Summer' Casts a Nostalgic Haze". Billboard. Retrieved 26 November 2016.
- Bjorke, Matt (November 21, 2016). "Top 30 Digital Singles Sales Report: November 21, 2016". Roughstock.
- "CMT : Videos : Brothers Osborne : 21 Summer". Country Music Television. Retrieved August 2, 2016.
- "Brothers Osborne Chart History (Canada Country)". Billboard.
- "Brothers Osborne Chart History (Bubbling Under Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved November 16, 2016.
- "Brothers Osborne Chart History (Country Airplay)". Billboard.
- "Brothers Osborne Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "Hot Country Songs – Year-End 2016". Billboard. Retrieved April 25, 2020.