The 2060s (pronounced "twenty-sixties") is a decade of the Gregorian calendar that will begin on January 1, 2060, and will end on December 31, 2069. Things included here are notable predictions by world organizations, figures of ideal goals set, and scheduled events as of the present year.[a] As a caveat, there is no way for sure to predict any given event as up to date information frequently changes. There are ongoing futures studies that seek to understand what is likely to continue and what could plausibly change. Predictions for apocalyptic events and the second coming of Christ are discussed elsewhere.
- September 1, 2061 – A time capsule at St. Gabriel School in Biggar, Saskatchewan, Canada is scheduled to be opened for its 150th anniversary of its school division (Greater Saskatoon Catholic Schools). It was sealed on September 11, 1911 (was not buried).
- The Helium Centennial Time Columns Monument is expected to be opened 100 years after it was locked in 1968.
Notable predictions and known eventsEdit
- One third of the world's energy could be solar, according to projections by the International Energy Agency (IEA).
- Temperatures could rise by 4 °C.
- Sea levels will rise by 9-24 inches. (24-60 cm)
- China and India combined will be economically larger than the entire developed world.
- The Office for National Statistics has predicted that the United Kingdom's population will be 81 million.
- Japan estimates that 40% of its population will be of retirement age, whilst its population will have shrunk by 30% from its maximum.
- July 28 – Halley's Comet reaches its perihelion, the closest point to the Sun—the last return reached its perihelion on February 9, 1986.
- December 31
- Expiration of the Singapore-Malaysia Water Agreement.
- The American Association for the Advancement of Science completes an effort—begun in 1985—to "help all Americans become literate in science, mathematics, and technology," based on defined benchmarks.
- May 10 – Transit of Mercury.
- Perihelion passage of Halley's Comet in early 2062.
- Earth will have 2 billion people aged 60 and over.
- By 2062, cohort life expectancy at birth is projected to reach 100 years for females in each UK constituent country except Scotland where it is projected to reach 99.4 years.
- November 11 – Transit of Mercury
- November 22 12:45 UTC – Venus will occult Jupiter. It will be very difficult to observe from Earth, because the elongation of Venus and Jupiter from the Sun at this time will be only 7 degrees. This event will be the first occultation of a planet by another since January 3, 1818; however the next will occur less than two years later, on July 15, 2067.
- The UK is projected to have at least half a million people aged over 100.
- February 15 – Assuming no further extensions to the term of copyrights become law in the interim, all sound recordings fixed before February 15, 1972, will enter the public domain in the U.S.
- July 15 11:56 UTC — Mercury will occult Neptune. This rare event will be very difficult to observe from Earth.
- October – A METI message Cosmic Call 1 sent from the 70-meter Eupatoria Planetary Radar arrives at its destination, star HD 178428.
- The Helium Centennial Time Columns Monument is expected to be opened 100 years after the time capsule was locked in 1968.
- According to futurist David Passig, there will be an undersea city by 2068.
- A proposed NASA mission concept to launch an interstellar probe, the 2069 Alpha Centauri mission, will search for biosignatures on planets around the stars in the system Alpha Centauri.
- A METI message, Cosmic Call 1, sent from the 70-meter Eupatoria Planetary Radar in 1999, arrives at its destination, 16 Cyg A star.
- Isaac Newton predicted that the world, according to his interpretation of the Bible, would end no sooner than 2060.
- Commercial mining of the Moon's elements could be economically feasible.
- These events can include treaties and/or deals with expiration dates
- "One Third of World's Energy Could Be Solar by 2060, Predicts Historically Conservative IEA". World Future Energy Summit. December 2, 2011. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- "Cancun climate change summit: temperatures could rise 4C by 2060". Telegraph. November 29, 2010. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- "Could big bills from extreme weather drive climate action?". Thomson Reuters Foundation. 2013-06-21. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- "Sea level rise in South Florida: expect floods, sea wall woes". Sun Sentinel. 2013-06-20. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- Walker, Andrew (2012-11-09). "OECD: 'Dramatic shift' in balance of economic power". BBC. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- Easton, Mark (2012-07-16). "England and Wales population up". BBC. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- "Japan's lower house passes sales tax bill". BBC. 2012-06-26. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- Lah, Kyung (2012-01-30). "Japan's population faces dramatic decline". CNN. Retrieved 2013-06-23.
- "Moon mine 'could start in 50 years'". BBC News. January 2, 2012.
- "Programs: Education: Project 2061". American Association for the Advancement of Science. Archived from the original on 2013-12-14. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "NASA - 2006 Transit of Mercury". Eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov. Retrieved 2014-08-21.
- "Comet Halley". Nineplanets.org. Retrieved November 21, 2014.
- "The State of the World: 2062". DiscoverMagazine.com. 2012-10-17. Retrieved 2014-08-21.
- "Historic and Projected Mortality Data from the Period and Cohort Life Tables, 2012-based, UK, 1981-2062". ONS. 2013-12-11. Retrieved 2014-08-21.
- "See Venus and Jupiter get close at dawn on 13 November". Astronomy Now. 10 November 2017. Retrieved 19 January 2018.
- "Young people 'more likely to reach 100 years old'". BBC News. August 4, 2011.
- "Copyright Term and the Public Domain in the United States, 1 January 2011". Cornell Law School. Retrieved September 15, 2011.
- Exclusive: NASA has begun plans for a 2069 interstellar mission, New Scientist, By John Wenz, 19 December 2017
- Nasa planning 2069 mission to look for life on newly discovered Earth-like planets, Independent, Harry Cockburn, 19 Dec 2017
- "The 70-metre Eupatoria Planetary Radar sent a METI message (Cosmic Call 2) to 5 stars: Hip 4872, HD 245409, 55 Cancri (HD 75732), HD 10307 and 47 Ursae Majoris (HD 95128). The messages will arrive to these stars in 2036, 2040, 2044 and 2049 respectively | Arianica encyclopedia: Iran's history, art, and civilization heritages". Arianica.com. Retrieved 2015-10-15.
- Stephen D. Snobelen (March 2003). "Statement on the Date 2060". isaac-newton.org.
- "Newton set 2060 for end of world". The Daily Telegraph. Archived from the original on October 20, 2007.
- Rudhyar, Dane Astrological Timing: The Transition to the New Age New York: 1972 Harper & Row
- "2060-2069 timeline contents". Futuretimeline.net. Retrieved 21 November 2014.
- "Welcome to the 50th Anniversary of Exoplanet Exploration" (PDF). Nasa.gov. Retrieved 21 November 2014.