205 Live (WWE brand)
205 Live (pronounced as "two-o-five live") is a brand of the U.S. based professional wrestling promotion WWE. Unlike other WWE brands, 205 Live is specifically centered on male wrestlers that are promoted as weighing 205 lbs. and under – designated by WWE as cruiserweights.
Logo for the brand and the 205 Live television program
|Product type||Professional wrestling|
|Produced by||Vince McMahon|
Paul "Triple H" Levesque
|General Manager: |
(January 30, 2018 – present)
WWE 205 Live was established following the success of the Cruiserweight Classic tournament, to feature those who competed in the tournament and others who have become full-time members of WWE's cruiserweight division. Paul "Triple H" Levesque, WWE executive producer and wrestler, stated the brand is designed to serve as a showcase for the division, with its own distinctive feel and style compared to WWE's other brands.
The Raw brand was originally established as the exclusive home of the division during the 2016 brand extension, with all cruiserweights being assigned to Raw following the 2016 WWE draft. However, following WrestleMania 34, cruiserweight wrestlers ceased to appear on Monday Night Raw.
In January 2018, Paul "Triple H" Levesque took over the creative side of 205 Live. On January 30, 2018, with Drake Maverick (formerly known as "Rockstar Spud" from Impact Wrestling) being announced as the inaugural 205 Live general manager. Maverick would announce a 16-man tournament for the vacant WWE Cruiserweight Championship, which was won by Cedric Alexander. Once the tournament begun, WWE's cruiserweight division began to wrestle exclusively on 205 Live and ceased to appear on Raw with select exceptions. Namely, Lucha House Party (Kalisto, Gran Metalik, and Lince Dorado) began competing in Raw's tag team division while Lio Rush and Drake Maverick began managing Raw superstars Bobby Lashley and AOP (Akam and Rezar), respectively, and occasionally competing in matches on Raw. Even though Maverick portrayed a heel while managing AOP on Raw, on 205 Live, he is a face general manager.
Just prior to NXT moving to the USA Network, NXT head Triple H spoke with Newsweek on September 10, 2019 and was asked about 205 Live becoming part of NXT. Triple H said "You'll start to see 205 begin to". He said that 205 Live's talent will start to move towards NXT, that 205 Live had "become lost in this limbo", and that the Cruiserweight Championship would have more meaning on NXT where it could create more opportunities for the cruiserweight wrestlers.
|Championship||Current champion(s)||Reign||Date won||Days held||Location||Notes|
|WWE Cruiserweight Championship||Drew Gulak||1||June 23, 2019||81||Tacoma, Washington||Defeated previous champion Tony Nese and Akira Tozawa in a triple threat match on the Stomping Grounds pre-show|
- Cole, Evan (2017-08-08). "WWE Continues to Boast Strong Lineup of Alternative Programming". Rumble Ramble. Retrieved 2019-02-16.
- "WWE 205 Live results, Oct. 10, 2018: Mike Kanellis delivers a statement". WWE.com. October 10, 2018. Retrieved December 24, 2018.
- "10 best WWE 205 Live brand matches". WWE.com. October 24, 2018. Retrieved December 24, 2018.
- "Rich Swann def. The Brian Kendrick to become the new and third WWE Cruiserweight Champion". WWE.com. Retrieved 2016-11-30.
- "WHY 205 LIVE STARS DISAPPEARED OFF RAW, WHY IMPACT CONTRACTED TALENTS CAN WRESTLE ANYWHERE AND MORE". Pro Wrestling Insider. Retrieved 28 June 2018.
- "205 Live results: A GM to be announced next week". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2018-01-28.
- Martinez, Phillip (September 10, 2019). "TRIPLE H DISCUSSES NXT'S MOVE TO USA AND THE BRAND'S CONTINUED EVOLUTION". Newsweek. Retrieved September 12, 2019.
- Satin, Ryan (May 20, 2019). "WATCH: Mick Foley Unveils New WWE 24/7 Title, First Champion Crowned". Pro Wrestling Sheet. Retrieved May 20, 2019.