Presidential elections were held in Transnistria on 12 December 2021 with early voting starting on 6 December 2021. Two candidates were able to register to participate in the elections — incumbent president Vadim Krasnoselsky, and Sergey Pynzar, who came in second in 2016.
President Vadim Krasnoselsky was reelected with a margin so important that the results, that were expected to be announced the following day on 13 December 2021, were announced in the evening. Voter turnout was very low, but not low enough to invalidate the results of the election.
Only election observers from Russia monitored the election. Moldova requested that other nations not observe the elections because it might legitimize Transnistria's disputed status.
Measures to facilitate voter turnout were taken following the very poor turnout to the September 2021 Russian legislative elections in which two-thirds of Tranistrian citizens had the right to vote, as they hold Russian passports. Early voting was put in place on election week.
|Source: BalkanInsight, CEC, CEC|
International reactions edit
- "Transnistria To Hold Presidential Election On December 12 - Central Election Commission". UrduPoint. Retrieved 17 September 2021.
- "Moldava's Breakaway Transnistria Re-Elects Leader in Dubious Poll". Balkan Insight. 13 December 2021. Retrieved 13 December 2021.
- "Вадим Красносельский подал документы на участие в президентских выборах". Центральная Избирательная Комиссия (in Russian). Retrieved 11 December 2021.
- "На пост Главы государства претендует еще один кандидат". Центральная Избирательная Комиссия (in Russian). Retrieved 11 December 2021.
- "Voter turnout at Transnistria's presidential elections stands at 35.5% — CEC". TASS. Retrieved 13 December 2021.
- "Transnistria wishes to return Moldova to negotiating table — head of republic". TASS. Retrieved 13 December 2021.
- "Voting in presidential election begins in Transnistria". TASS. Retrieved 13 December 2021.
- Cojan, Liviu (12 December 2021). "MAE nu recunoaşte legitimitatea alegerilor din regiunea transnistreană a Republicii Moldova". Digi24 (in Romanian).