2020 coronavirus pandemic in Belize
This article is about a current disease pandemic where information can change quickly or be unreliable. The latest page updates may not reflect the most up-to-date information. (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|2020 coronavirus pandemic in Belize|
|First outbreak||Wuhan, China|
|Index case||San Pedro Town|
|Arrival date||19 March 2020|
(2 weeks and 6 days)
On 12 January 2020, the World Health Organization (WHO) confirmed that a novel coronavirus was the cause of a respiratory illness in a cluster of people in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China, which was reported to the WHO on 31 December 2019.
The country's first case was announced on 23 March, a Belizean woman who returned to San Pedro Town from Los Angeles, California. The second case was announced on 25 March. They had immediate contact with the first case.
The 5th confirmed case of coronavirus was confirmed in a Belizean student who returned from Florida in the United States. He is currently in self-isolation at a quarantine facility and has no symptoms.
In the light of the recent event, Prime Minister Dean Barrow has declared State of Emergency for San Pedro. Residents of Ambergris Caye are being placed under mandatory quarantine. Onlу еssеntiаl wоrkеrs will be аllоwеd to trаvеrsе the strееts. "Unаuthоrizеd vеssеls will be bаnnеd frоm lеаving оr аrriving on the islаnd,” а ѕtаtеmеnt frоm the Gоvеrnmеnt sаid. At this time the Ministry of Health is tracing everyone that may have been in contact with the Belizean woman who tested positive for the Covid-19.
Prime Minister Dean Barrow had also closed schools on March 20 and it will resume on April 20th pending any changes in the situation. He has banned public gathering of more than 25 people and he has closed all borders. All flights have been grounded effective March 23. Only cargo would be able to cross the borders and docked by sea. Belizeans are still allowed to return to Belize but residents will not be allow to leave the country unless it is an emergency.
The Minister of health asks that anyone having flu-like symptoms stay home, self-isolate, and call the hotline at 0-800-MOH-CARE for further guidance.
On March 30, a state of emergency was announced across the country, as well as a curfew from 8p.m. to 5a.m.
In early April, the government announced that borders would be closed to all travellers, including Belizean nationals except for emergency situations. Other travel restrictions, including quarantines, had already been implemented in March.
- BBN Staff (29 March 2020). "Minister of Health confirms third Covid-19 case is in Belize City and imported from New York". Breaking Belize News. Retrieved 30 March 2020.
- "Belize records first Covid-19 death". Breaking Belize News. 5 April 2020. Retrieved 6 April 2020.
- Elsevier. "Novel Coronavirus Information Center". Elsevier Connect. Archived from the original on 30 January 2020. Retrieved 15 March 2020.
- Reynolds, Matt (4 March 2020). "What is coronavirus and how close is it to becoming a pandemic?". Wired UK. ISSN 1357-0978. Archived from the original on 5 March 2020. Retrieved 5 March 2020.
- "Crunching the numbers for coronavirus". Imperial News. Archived from the original on 19 March 2020. Retrieved 15 March 2020.
- "High consequence infectious diseases (HCID); Guidance and information about high consequence infectious diseases and their management in England". GOV.UK. Archived from the original on 3 March 2020. Retrieved 17 March 2020.
- "World Federation Of Societies of Anaesthesiologists – Coronavirus". www.wfsahq.org. Archived from the original on 12 March 2020. Retrieved 15 March 2020.
- "Ministry of Health Announces First Case of COVID-19". Ministry of Health (Belize). 23 March 2020. Retrieved 23 March 2020.
- "Belize confirms first case of coronavirus, Cuban doctors arriving to help". Breaking Belize News. 23 March 2020. Retrieved 23 March 2020.
- "First Covid-19 patient in Belize is San Pedro resident". Breaking Belize News. 23 March 2020. Retrieved 24 March 2020.
- BBN Staff (25 March 2020). "Ministry of Health confirms 2nd covid-19 positive case; awaiting results of more tests". Breaking Belize News. Retrieved 30 March 2020.
- "Fifth Case of COVID-19 Confirmed in Belize". Ambergris Today. 5 April 2020. Retrieved 6 April 2020.
- "State of Emergency declared for San Pedro; residents placed under mandatory quarantine". Breaking Belize News. 23 March 2020. Retrieved 23 March 2020.
- "Government issues reminder of border closures". Breaking Belize News. 23 March 2020. Retrieved 23 March 2020.
- "Immigration officials: 'Belizeans will be allowed to come home'". Breaking Belize News. 23 March 2020. Retrieved 23 March 2020.
- "Prime Minister Dean Barrow announces countrywide state of emergency". Breaking Belize News. 30 March 2020. Retrieved 2 April 2020.
- "Belize is now on war footing; PM Barrow announces closure of borders to national". Breaking Belize News-The Leading Online News Source of Belize. 3 April 2020. Retrieved 6 April 2020.
- "All borders closed to the entry of Belizean nationals". Breaking Belize News-The Leading Online News Source of Belize. 5 April 2020. Retrieved 6 April 2020.
- "Government issues reminder of border closures". Breaking Belize News-The Leading Online News Source of Belize. 22 March 2020. Retrieved 6 April 2020.