|2020 Tarkint attack|
|Part of Mali War|
|Mali||Jama'at Nasr al-Islam wal Muslimin|
|Casualties and losses|
On the morning of March 19, 2020, several dozen JNIM militants raided the base, arriving from three directions and overwhelming the Malian troops stationed there. It was not immediately known which group caused the attack, but on March 21 JNIM claimed responsibility.
Casualties and aftermath Edit
Initially, the Malian army reported two dead and ten wounded, but these numbers soon rose to 29 soldiers killed and five wounded. An anonymous Malian military official claimed the death toll was closer to 30. The bodies were taken to Bourem.
There is little information regarding casualties of JNIM. In the statement claiming responsibility, the group claimed to have destroyed or captured stocks of weaponry from the base, corroborated by photos.
- "Mali: Attaque meurtrière contre les forces armées à Tarkint". 19 March 2020.
- "Terrorist assault on Malian military base leaves dozens of dead". 24 March 2020.
- "Une "trentaine" de soldats tués au Mali dans une attaque attribuée aux djihadistes". Le Temps (in French). 2020-03-20. ISSN 1423-3967. Retrieved 2023-02-08.
- "JNIM kills dozens in Mali base attack | FDD's Long War Journal". www.longwarjournal.org. 2020-03-23. Retrieved 2023-02-08.
- "Dozens of Mali soldiers killed in deadliest 2020 attack". www.aljazeera.com. Retrieved 2023-02-08.
- "Mali: attaque meurtrière contre les forces armées à Tarkint". RFI (in French). 2020-03-19. Retrieved 2023-02-08.