2019 Kosovan parliamentary election
Parliamentary elections were held in Kosovo on 6 October 2019. The main opposition parties received the most votes, led by Vetëvendosje and the Democratic League of Kosovo (LDK). Vetëvendosje leader Albin Kurti became Prime Minister, forming a governing coalition with the LDK on an anti-corruption platform. He is the second Prime Minister not to have been a fighter of the Kosovo Liberation Army during the 1990s.
All 120 seats in the Assembly
61 seats needed for a majority
This lists parties that won seats. See the complete results below.
On 19 July 2019 Prime Minister Ramush Haradinaj resigned after being summoned for questioning by the KSC in The Hague, Netherlands. The constitution requires the President to designate a new candidate to either form a government, or hold new elections in between 30 and 45 days after consultation with political parties or coalitions who hold a majority in the Assembly,
On 5 August 2019, the Assembly of Kosovo agreed to hold an extraordinary session on 22 August, planning to disband itself so that elections could be scheduled. Subsequently, on 22 August 2019, MPs voted to dissolve parliament, with 89 of the 120 voting in favour, necessitating elections within 30–45 days.
The 120 members of the Assembly are elected by open list proportional representation, with 20 seats reserved for national minorities. An electoral threshold of 5% was in place for non-minority parties.
Parties and coalitionsEdit
On 7 September the Election Commission published the official list of the 25 participating parties and coalitions.
|Party||Candidate for Prime Minister|
|Democratic League of Kosovo (LDK)||Vjosa Osmani (LDK)|
|Vetëvendosje (VV)||Albin Kurti (VV)|
|Democratic Party of Kosovo (PDK)
Movement for Unification (Candidates run inside PDK list)
|Kadri Veseli (PDK)|
|100% Kosovo (AAK - PSD Coalition)||Ramush Haradinaj (AAK)|
|NISMA - AKR - PD Coalition||Fatmir Limaj (NISMA)|
|The Word (Fjala)||Gëzim Kelmendi|
|Euroatlantic Party of Kosovo (PEK)||Milaim Zeka|
|Independent (Esmir Rasi)||Esmir Rasi|
|Serbian parties (10 seats reserved)|
|Independent Liberal Party (SLS)|
|Serb Coalition (Sloboda)|
|Party of Kosovo Serbs (PKS)|
|Other minority parties (10 seats reserved)|
|Romani, Ashkali and Egyptians||4 seats reserved|
|United Roma Party of Kosovo (PREBK)|
|Kosovar New Romani Party (KNRP)|
|Ashkali Party for Integration (PAI)|
|Democratic Ashkali Party of Kosovo (PDAK)|
|Egyptian Liberal Party (PLE)|
|New Democratic Initiative of Kosovo (IRDK)|
|Bosniaks||3 seats reserved|
|Bosniak Party of Democratic Action of Kosovo (SDA)|
|New Democratic Party (NDS)|
|Turks||2 seats reserved|
|Turkish Democratic Party of Kosovo (KDTP)|
|Gorans||1 seat reserved|
|Civic Initiative of Gora (GIG)|
|Unique Gorani Party (JGP)|
|Movement for Gora (PG)|
|PIPOS||Exit Poll- 6 Oct||25.8||12.3||5.8||27.9||28.1||–||0.2||-|
|Klan Kosova||Exit Poll- 6 Oct||22.28||10.58||4.41||30||30||–||Tie||-|
|UBO Consulting||11–18 Dec||20.5||12.6||6.3||27.1||-||-||22.6||-||-||10.9||4.5||-|
|KDI||25 Aug–5 Sep||18.4||8.8||4.9||23.8||1.7||0.6||17.6||2||4.1||2.6||5.4||15.6|
|2017 election||11 Jun 2017||33.74||25.53||27.49||6.12||7.12||6.25||-|
The initial results showed that the pro-government NISMA–AKR–PD alliance fell only a few hundred votes short of meeting the 5% electoral threshold and lost all 10 of their seats. However, the Kosovo Election Complaints and Appeals Panel subsequently ordered around 3,782 votes originating in Serbia to be removed from the vote count as they had been delivered by Serbian officials rather than by post. The removed votes allowed the NISMA-led alliance to cross the threshold and win six seats, a reduction of four from the prior election. Vetëvendosje and the Independent Liberal Party (which lost its parliamentary representation) were the only other parties to see a reduction in their seat totals. The Democratic League of Kosovo, Democratic Party of Kosovo, AAK–PSD alliance and the Serb List all gained seats. Voter turnout was around 45%.
|Democratic League of Kosovo||206,516||24.55||28||+5|
|Democratic Party of Kosovo||178,637||21.23||24||+1|
|100% Kosovo (AAK–PSD)||96,872||11.51||13||+3|
|Turkish Democratic Party of Kosovo||6,788||0.81||2||0|
|Egyptian Liberal Party||4,887||0.58||1||0|
|New Democratic Party||3,935||0.47||1||0|
|Ashkali Party for Integration||3,113||0.37||1||0|
|Democratic Ashkali Party of Kosovo||1,963||0.23||0||0|
|Independent Liberal Party||1,859||0.22||0||–1|
|New Democratic Initiative of Kosovo||1,755||0.21||1||0|
|Euroatlantic Party of Kosovo||1,173||0.14||0||New|
|Unique Gorani Party||1,159||0.14||1||0|
|United Roma Party of Kosovo||1,078||0.13||1||0|
|Bosniak Party of Democratic Action of Kosovo||834||0.10||0||0|
|Party of Kosovo Serbs||816||0.10||0||0|
|Civic Initiative of Gora||785||0.09||0||0|
|Movement for Gora||695||0.08||0||0|
|Serb Coalition (Sloboda)||672||0.08||0||New|
|Kosovar New Romani Party||289||0.03||0||0|
|Source: KQZ, KQZ, KQZ|
- Shehu, Bekim (2019-07-19). "Kosovë: Ramush Haradinaj jep dorëheqje të parevokueshme". Deutsche Welle. Retrieved 2019-07-22.
- Zyrtare: Thaçi i kërkon koalicionit PAN propozim-mandatarin e ri për kryeministër Bota Sot, 2 August 2019
- "Kosovo parliament to disband so early election can be held". Associated Press. 5 August 2019. Retrieved 7 August 2019.
- "Nga seanca plenare e Kuvendit". Kuvendi i Kosovës. 22 August 2019. Retrieved 22 August 2019.
- Kosovo IFES
- "Këto janë subjektet politike që mund t'i votoni më 6 tetor". GazetaExpress. 2019-07-09. Retrieved 2019-09-08.
- "Kjo parti i bashkohet listës zgjedhore të LDK'së". GazetaExpress. 2019-02-09. Retrieved 2019-09-08.
- "Kusari: Me VV-në kemi dallime, por jemi të fokusuar në atë se çfarë na bashkon". GazetaExpress. 2019-07-09. Retrieved 2019-09-08.
- "Kosovo parties sign first pre-election coalition". GazetaExpress. 2019-08-19. Retrieved 2019-08-23.
- "Pacolli and Limaj sign pre-election coalition". GazetaExpress. 2019-08-23. Retrieved 2019-08-23.
- "Nisma dhe AKR arrijnë marrëveshje edhe me një parti tjetër". GazetaExpress. 2019-08-27. Retrieved 2019-08-27.
- "Bashkohen serbët e Kosovës për zgjedhje kundër Listës Srpska". GazetaExpress. 2019-08-28. Retrieved 2019-08-28.
- Election: over 3,700 votes from Serbia removed from final count Prishtina Insight, 14 November 2019
- Walker, Shaun (26 March 2020). "Kosovans look on aghast as government falls while coronavirus bites". The Guardian.