Euro T20 Slam
The Euro T20 Slam is a proposed Twenty20 (T20) cricket tournament planned to be held in Ireland, Scotland and the Netherlands. The first edition of the tournament was scheduled to start in August 2019 with six teams competing. On 14 August 2019, two weeks before play was due to begin, the organisers confirmed that they were postponing the tournament. The recently concluded Global T20 Canada, which was put on by the same organisation, had been beset with problems, with the players involved at one point refusing to travel to a game because of missing payments.
Official logo of Euro T20 Slam
|Countries||Ireland, Netherlands and Scotland|
|Tournament format||Round-robin and playoffs|
|Number of teams||6|
The teams due to participate in the first season were:
|Amsterdam Knights||VRA Cricket Ground||Mark O'Donnell|
|Belfast Titans||Malahide Cricket Club Ground||Ian Pont|
|Dublin Chiefs||Malahide Cricket Club Ground||Daniel Vettori|
|Edinburgh Rocks||The Grange Club||Mark Ramprakash|
|Glasgow Giants||The Grange Club||Lance Klusener|
|Rotterdam Rhinos||VRA Cricket Ground||Herschelle Gibbs|
Postponed 2019 tournamentEdit
The 2019 Euro T20 Slam was scheduled to be the inaugural edition of the Euro T20 Slam,, to start on 30 August and conclude on 22 September 2019 and feature 33 matches. The tournament was to have six city-based franchise teams, two each from Ireland, Scotland and the Netherlands. In April 2019, six cities were awarded a franchise: Belfast and Dublin in Ireland, Glasgow and Edinburgh in Scotland, and Amsterdam and Rotterdam in the Netherlands. The team names and schedule were released on 30 April 2019.
Shahid Afridi, Martin Guptill, Rashid Khan, Brendon McCullum, Eoin Morgan and Shane Watson were announced as the six icon players, and Babar Azam, JP Duminy, Chris Lynn, Luke Ronchi, Dale Steyn and Imran Tahir were announced as the six marquee players.
- "New League featuring Irish, Scottish and Dutch teams to be called Euro T20 Slam". 20 March 2019. Retrieved 21 March 2019.
- Euro T20 Slam postponed to 2020 Wisden Cricketer, retrieved 14 August 2019.
- "Inaugural Euro T20 Slam cancelled at two weeks' notice". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 14 August 2019.
- "TEAMS". Euro T20 Slam. Retrieved 30 April 2019.
- "'Euro T20 Slam' – Name of the new European T20 league confirmed". International Cricket Council. Retrieved 20 March 2019.
- "Scottish, Irish & Dutch teams feature in new European T20 league". The Cricketer. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- "Scotland, Ireland and Netherlands announce combined T20 league". International Cricket Council. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- "Ireland, Scotland and Netherlands set to launch Euro T20 League". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- "New European T20 League Announced Starting August 2019". Cricket Scotland. Retrieved 6 March 2019.
- "Euro T20 Slam finalises the six participating cities". Inside Sport. Retrieved 18 April 2019.
- "Amsterdam Kings and Glasgow Giants... Euro T20 Slam team names unveiled". the cricketer. Retrieved 30 April 2019.
- "Euro T20 Slam Squads". Retrieved 20 August 2019.
- "Bash Bros headline Euro tournament". cricket.com.au. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- "Shahid Afridi announced as icon player for Euro T20 Slam". The Indian Express. Retrieved 23 May 2019.
- "Eoin Morgan signed as icon player for Euro T20 Slam". Business Standard. Retrieved 30 May 2019.
- "Steyn and Guptill signed". Cricket Europe. Retrieved 2 July 2019.