2019 Bougainvillean independence referendum
An independence referendum will be held in Bougainville on 17 October 2019. The vote is the result of an agreement between the Government of Papua New Guinea and the Autonomous Bougainville Government, and was originally scheduled for 15 June 2019, before being delayed due to a row over funding. The vote is not binding and the Government of Papua New Guinea has the final say on what becomes of Bougainville in the event of voters choosing independence.
|Bougainvillean independence referendum, 2019|
|Do you agree for Bougainville to have: (1) Greater Autonomy (2) Independence?|
|Location||Autonomous Region of Bougainville, Papua New Guinea|
|Date||17 October 2019|
According to the Bougainville Peace Agreement, a referendum which includes the option of independence must be held at the latest by June 2020. Australian Strategic Policy Institute analyst Karl Claxton said there is a wide expectation Bougainville will vote to become independent. In October 2018, former Taoiseach of Ireland Bertie Ahern was appointed to chair the Bougainville Referendum Commission, which is responsible for preparing the referendum.
The question to be put to voters is:
Do you agree for Bougainville to have: (1) Greater Autonomy (2) Independence?
- "Bougainville independence vote delayed to October". Reuters. 2018-03-01. Retrieved 2018-03-02.
- "Bougainville and Papua New Guinea set target date for independence referendum". ABC News. 2016-05-23. Retrieved 2017-10-21.
- "Independence vote delayed for Papua New Guinea's Bougainville". France 24. 2019-03-01. Retrieved 2019-03-02.
- "Bougainville referendum not binding - PM". Radio New Zealand. 2019-03-11. Retrieved 2019-03-18.
- "Move to postpone Bougainville Referendum". Papua New Guinea Post Courier. 2019-02-08. Retrieved 2019-02-09.
- "PNG leader apologises to Bougainville for bloody 1990s civil war". Australian Associated Press. 2014-01-29. Retrieved 2019-02-09.
- "Bougainville 'very happy' to have Bertie Ahern involved". Radio New Zealand. 2018-10-17. Retrieved 2018-10-19.
- "Question agreed for Bougainville's independence referendum". Radio New Zealand. 2018-10-13. Retrieved 2018-10-19.