On 28 June 2018, at about 1:15 pm, a Beechcraft C90 King Air aircraft chartered from UY Aviation Pvt Ltd with the registration VT-UPZ crashed at Jagruti Nagar in the suburb of Ghatkopar in Mumbai, India. The 12-seater aircraft carried 4 people, including the pilot. All people on board plus one person on the ground were killed. A further three people on the ground were seriously injured.
|Date||28 June 2018|
|Summary||Stalled due to pilot error and spatial disorientation|
|Site||Jagruti Nagar, Ghatkopar, Mumbai, India |
|Aircraft type||Beechcraft C90 King Air|
|Flight origin||Juhu Aerodrome|
|Ground injuries||3: 4|
The Aircraft Accident Investigation Bureau, India released the final investigation report in Dec 2018. The probable cause of the accident as per the report was a stall caused by lack of situational awareness due to spatial disorientation triggered by deteriorating weather, a transition from ILS (IMC) to visual flying (Partial VMC) and unexpected bank owing to differential engine power.
The aircraft VT-UPZ was previously owned by the Uttar Pradesh government. In 2014, the aircraft had an accident in Allahabad in which there was minor damage as per DGCA investigation report. Over the next decade, the aircraft changed ownership and was transported to Mumbai where the repair work was carried out with approval from DGCA.
- "Final report of VT-UPZ" (PDF). Retrieved 18 August 2020.
- "Mumbai chartered plane crash kills 5". 28 June 2018. Retrieved 28 June 2018.
- "Five dead in India after plane crashes and bursts into flames in busy Mumbai district". The Telegraph. Agence France-Presse. 28 June 2018. ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 28 June 2018.
- "Mumbai plane crash: Chartered aircraft crashes in Ghatkopar, five dead". 28 June 2018. Retrieved 28 June 2018.
- "Mumbai plane crash". The Times of India. Retrieved 29 June 2018.
- "মুম্বইয়ের জনবহুল এলাকায় বিমান দুর্ঘটনা, মৃত অন্তত ৫". 28 June 2018. Retrieved 28 June 2018.
- "Mumbai plane crash LIVE UPDATES: Five people dead, black box recovered; DGCA to begin investigation". 28 June 2018. Retrieved 28 June 2018.
- "Mumbai Plane Crash : मुंबई के घाटकोपर में चार्टर्ड प्लेन क्रैश, एक राहगीर समेत 5 की मौत, CCTV फुटेज आया सामने". NDTVIndia. Retrieved 29 June 2018.
- "t least five killed after plane crashes in busy district of Mumbai". Sky News. Retrieved 28 June 2018.
- V, Manju (29 June 2018). "UP govt aircraft flew Mulayam; grounded, sold after mishap". Times of India. TOI Group.