2018 Major League Baseball draft
The 2018 Major League Baseball (MLB) First-Year Player Draft began on June 4, 2018. The draft assigned amateur baseball players to MLB teams. The draft order was determined based on the reverse order of the 2017 MLB season final standings. In addition, compensation picks were distributed for players who did not sign from the 2017 MLB Draft and for teams who lose qualifying free agents. The first 43 picks, including the first round and compensatory picks, were broadcast by MLB Network on June 4. The remainder of the draft was streamed on MLB.com on June 5 and 6.
|2018 Major League Baseball draft|
|Date(s)||June 4–6, 2018|
|Location||Secaucus, New Jersey|
|1,214 total selections in 40 rounds|
|First selection||Casey Mize|
|First round selections||43|
With a tie for the worst record in the 2017 MLB season at 64–98, the Detroit Tigers received the first overall pick ahead of the San Francisco Giants via a tiebreaker. The Detroit Tigers selected Casey Mize with the first overall pick in the draft. There were a total of 40 rounds in the draft, with 1,214 players selected.
First round selectionsEdit
|*||Player did not sign|
Competitive Balance Round AEdit
Other notable selectionsEdit
- Compensation picks
- Compensation pick for the Baltimore Orioles signing Alex Cobb
- Compensation pick for failing to sign Drew Rasmussen in the 2017 draft
- Compensation pick for the Milwaukee Brewers signing Lorenzo Cain
- Compensation pick for the San Diego Padres signing Eric Hosmer
- Compensation pick for the Philadelphia Phillies signing Carlos Santana
- Compensation pick for the Minnesota Twins signing Lance Lynn
- Tayler, Jon (November 7, 2017). "MLB's New Free Agent Compensation Rules Are Incredibly Complicated, So Let's Break Them Down". Sports Illustrated.
- "Tigers Will Pick First In 2018 MLB Draft". MLB.com. October 2, 2017. Retrieved October 2, 2017.[permanent dead link]
- "Tigers draft Auburn right-hander Casey Mize with No. 1 pick". ESPN.com. June 5, 2018. Retrieved June 7, 2018.
- Russell, Daniel (March 20, 2018). "Alex Cobb signs with Orioles, Rays gain first round draft pick as compensation". DRaysBay. Retrieved July 8, 2018.
- jtmorgan (June 4, 2018). "The Rays have the second largest draft pool in 2018". DRaysBay. Retrieved July 8, 2018.
- Flanagan, Jeffrey (May 24, 2018). "Royals to receive Draft picks for Hosmer, Cain". MLB.com. Retrieved July 8, 2018.
- Schlichting, Matt (December 15, 2017). "Carlos Santana signs three-year deal with Phillies - Let's Go Tribe". Letsgotribe.com. Retrieved July 8, 2018.
- Press release. "Cardinals take high school 3B in 1st round of MLB draft | KTLO LLC". Ktlo.com. Retrieved July 8, 2018.
- Lawrence, Andrew (June 4, 2018). "MLB Mock Draft 2018: Phillies, Yankees land big-time pitchers; Mets fill third base void". Sporting News. Retrieved June 4, 2018.
- Silverman, Michael (June 4, 2018). "Red Sox look to draft best players available tonight, not a specific 'need'". Boston Herald. Retrieved June 4, 2018.