2018 British motorcycle Grand Prix
The 2018 British motorcycle Grand Prix was the scheduled twelfth round of the 2018 MotoGP season. Planned to be held at the Silverstone Circuit in Silverstone on 26 August 2018, the race was cancelled due to heavy rain. This is the first cancelled MotoGP race since the cancellation of the MotoGP class race during the 2011 Malaysian Grand Prix due to Marco Simoncelli's fatal accident, and also marks for the first time since the 1980 Austrian Grand Prix that racing for all classes was cancelled.
|Race 12 of 19 races in the|
2018 Grand Prix motorcycle racing season
|Date||26 August 2018|
|Official name||GoPro British Grand Prix|
|Location||Silverstone Circuit, Silverstone, United Kingdom|
Qualifying was conducted on 25 August 2018, with Jorge Lorenzo on a Ducati taking the MotoGP pole with a time of 2:10.155. Francesco Bagnaia scored the Moto2 pole at 2:08.153, and Jorge Martín in a Honda claimed the Moto3 pole at 2:13.292, all with inclement weather involved.
Track surface issuesEdit
On 9 February 2018, Silverstone Circuit announced the track would be repaved in its entirety for the first time since 1996. Shortly after the track was repaved and opened for testing, Cal Crutchlow said the new surface was perfect to Dorna officials.
Five months later, during the Formula One round at Silverstone in early July, Lewis Hamilton blasted the repaving as "wasted money," calling it the "worst job ever," saying the rough surface was worse than the Nürburgring Nordschleife. Carlos Sainz, Jr. said the roughness of the surface, especially bumps, were worse after the repaving.
Shortly after the cancellation, MotoGP officials blamed the track's newly repaved surface as the problem. Media reports from various motorsport sites noted the problems since the F1 race and the new tarmac was to blame.
On 8 May 2019, Silverstone announced as part of extending its MotoGP contract to 2021 that the circuit will be repaved again in June, two months before the MotoGP race.
Championship standings after the raceEdit
- "2018 British MotoGP - Motor Sport Magazine Database". Motorsportmagazine.com. 27 August 2018. Retrieved 19 November 2018.
- Mitchell, Malcolm. "2018 MotoGP Class (FIM Grand Prix World Championship) Programmes - The Motor Racing Programme Covers Project". Progcovers.com. Retrieved 19 November 2018.
- Mitchell, Malcolm. "Silverstone Circuit - The Motor Racing Programme Covers Project". Progcovers.com. Retrieved 19 November 2018.
- Sports, Dorna. "Races cancelled due to track surface". Motogp.com. Retrieved 2018-08-26.
- Circuit, Silverstone. "Track Resurfacing 2018". Silverstone.co.uk. Retrieved 2018-09-10.
- Mitchell, Scott. "Sainz "feels sorry" for MotoGP riders over Silverstone repave". Motorsport.com. Retrieved 2018-09-10.
2018 Austrian Grand Prix
|FIM Grand Prix World Championship
2018 San Marino Grand Prix
2017 British Grand Prix
|British motorcycle Grand Prix||Next race:|
2019 British Grand Prix