2018 Baltimore Orioles season
The 2018 Baltimore Orioles was the 118th season in franchise history, and their 27th at Oriole Park. The team had hoped to remain competitive following a disappointing 75-87 finish in 2017, but instead finished with one of the worst records in modern baseball history, going 47-115, the worst record in the major leagues, and the worst record in the majors since the 2003 Detroit Tigers, who went 43-119. Blame for the dismal season was largely shared by the pitching staff who posted a combined 5.18 ERA, and allowed a league leading 892 runs. One of the biggest lowlights was first baseman Chris Davis posting one of the worst offensive seasons in major league history, batting .168, the lowest average in history for a player who qualified for the batting title. Davis also finished with a wins above replacement (WAR) of -2.8, by far the worst of any player in the league, and the worst by a position player since Adam Dunn in 2011, who posted a -2.9 WAR. The Orioles also got shutout a league-leading 15 times, won just 19 road games, were swept in 21 series, and finished 61 games behind the AL East winning Boston Red Sox. Manager Buck Showalter's contract was not renewed at the end of the season, ending his 9-year tenure with the team.
|2018 Baltimore Orioles|
|Major League affiliations|
|General manager(s)||Dan Duquette|
(Gary Thorne, Jim Palmer, Mike Bordick, Jim Hunter)
Baltimore Orioles Radio Network
(Joe Angel, Jim Hunter, Ben McDonald, Mike Bordick)
|< Previous season Next season >|
- November 2: RF Seth Smith, RHP Jeremy Hellickson, RHP Ubaldo Jiménez, 1B Pedro Álvarez, RHP Chris Tillman, 2B Ryan Flaherty, and LF Craig Gentry elected free agency.
- November 3: LHP Wade Miley and SS J.J. Hardy elected free agency.
- November 6: C Welington Castillo elected free agency.
- November 20: Contracts of C Austin Wynns and RHP David Hess selected from AA Bowie; contract of RHP Hunter Harvey selected from A Delmarva.
- November 22: Oakland Athletics traded Jaycob Brugman to Baltimore Orioles.
- December 14: Baltimore Orioles signed free agent RHP Michael Kelly.
- December 19: Baltimore Orioles traded RHP Jake Bray to Oakland Athletics.
- January 26: San Francisco Giants traded SS Engelb Vielma to Baltimore Orioles.
- February 15: LHP Zach Britton (Right Achilles surgery) placed on the 60-day disabled list. Signed free agent RHP Andrew Cashner.
- February 21: Baltimore Orioles signed free agent RHP Chris Tillman; CF Jaycob Brugman designated for assignment; Baltimore Orioles signed free agent LF Colby Rasmus to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
- March 3: LHP Chris Lee optioned to AAA Norfolk; 1B Danny Valencia signed to a minor league contract and invited to spring training.
- March 6: RHP Stefan Crichton, RHP Michael Kelly, and RHP Yefry Ramírez optioned to AAA Norfolk.
- March 21: Signed Free Agent RHP Alex Cobb to a four-year contract.
American League EastEdit
|Boston Red Sox||108||54||0.667||—||57–24||51–30|
|New York Yankees||100||62||0.617||8||53–28||47–34|
|Tampa Bay Rays||90||72||0.556||18||51–30||39–42|
|Toronto Blue Jays||73||89||0.451||35||40–41||33–48|
American League Wild CardEdit
|Boston Red Sox||108||54||0.667|
Wild Card teams|
(Top 2 qualify for 1-game playoff)
|New York Yankees||100||62||0.617||+3|
|Tampa Bay Rays||90||72||0.556||7|
|Los Angeles Angels||80||82||0.494||17|
|Toronto Blue Jays||73||89||0.451||24|
|Chicago White Sox||62||100||0.383||35|
|Kansas City Royals||58||104||0.358||39|
Record against opponentsEdit
2018 American League Records
Source: AL Standings Head-to-head
Updated with the results of all games through September 30, 2018.
|Past Games Legend|
|Clinched Playoff Spot
|Eliminated from Playoff Race |
|Bold denotes an Orioles pitcher|
|Future Games Legend|
|Baltimore Orioles 2018 Season Game Log — Season Record: 47–115 (.290)|
- Single-Admission Doubleheader
- Single-Admission Doubleheader
|2018 Baltimore Orioles|
- "MLB free agency: Orioles interested in Andrew Cashner, Jason Vargas". MLB Daily Dish. Retrieved 2017-12-03.
- Encina, Eduardo A. "Welington Castillo declines 2018 player option, becomes free agent". baltimoresun.com. Retrieved 2017-12-03.
- Meoli, Jon. "Orioles add pitchers Hunter Harvey and David Hess, catcher Austin Wynns to 40-man roster". baltimoresun.com. Retrieved 2017-12-03.
- "Orioles trade for outfielder Jaycob Brugman". Major League Baseball. Retrieved 2017-12-03.
- "Orioles' Jaycob Brugman: Traded to Baltimore". CBSSports.com. Retrieved 2017-12-03.
- RotoWire Staff (December 14, 2017). "Orioles' Mike Kelly: Signs major-league deal with Baltimore". CBS Sports. Retrieved March 30, 2018.
- "Orioles land infielder Engelb Vielma in trade". MLB.com. Retrieved 2018-04-18.
- "Orioles' Zach Britton: Lands on disabled list". CBSSports.com. Retrieved 2018-04-18.
- "MLB free agency rumors: Orioles sign Andrew Cashner, reports say". NJ.com. Retrieved 2018-04-18.
- Encina, Eduardo A. "Orioles, right-hander Alex Cobb agree to four-year deal". baltimoresun.com. Retrieved 2018-04-18.
- Browne, Ian. "Patriots' Day O's-Red Sox game postponed". orioles.com. Major League Baseball. Retrieved 24 April 2018.
- MLB.com. "Rays-O's rained out; makeup on May 12 as DH". orioles.com. Major League Baseball. Retrieved 24 April 2018.
- Ghrioli, Brittany. "Phillies-Orioles series opener postponed, Wednesday's game moved up to 12:05 p.m. ET". orioles.com. Major League Baseball. Retrieved 15 May 2018.
- Ghiroli, Brittany. "Rain postpones opener of Yanks-Orioles series To be made up July 9 as part of single-admission doubleheader". orioles.com. Major League Baseball. Retrieved 1 June 2018.
- "Sunday's Yankees-Orioles game rained out". orioles.com. Major League Baseball. Retrieved 3 June 2018.