2018 Alyn and Deeside by-election
The Alyn and Deeside by-election, 2018 is a by-election that took place in the National Assembly for Wales constituency of Alyn and Deeside on Tuesday 6 February 2018, following the death of incumbent Labour AM Carl Sargeant on 7 November 2017.
The Alyn and Deeside seat in the Welsh Assembly.
Triggered by death of incumbent
The election was the fourth Assembly by-election to be held since its formation in 1999. The seat is a safe seat for the Labour Party, having been held continuously by the party since the beginning of devolved government. The corresponding seat in the UK Parliament has been held by Labour since its creation in 1983. As a result of the vacancy, the governing coalition of Labour, one Liberal Democrat and one Independent held exactly half of the seats in the Welsh Assembly, meaning that a gain for the opposition would have cost the government their majority.
Carl Sargeant had been the Labour Party AM for the seat since the 2003 Assembly election, and held numerous junior and cabinet level positions before being appointed the Cabinet Secretary for Communities and Children in May 2016. Amidst the 2017 Westminster sexual scandals he was suspended from the Labour Party and removed from his position on 3 November 2017, following unspecified allegations about his personal conduct. He was found dead at his home in Connah's Quay four days later. North Wales Police said that they were not treating his death as suspicious. It was reported that Sargeant had taken his own life. At the opening of the inquest on 13 November, the coroner was told that his death was likely to have been due to hanging. The coroner also commented that the death was "an apparent act of self harm".
The by-election was scheduled for the latest date possible – 6 February 2018 – three calendar months following Carl Sargeant's death. This resulted in the unusual situation of polling day falling on a Tuesday, breaking the convention of UK elections taking place on a Thursday. The Presiding Officer of the Welsh Assembly justified the choice of date as being due to the "sensitivities of the circumstances which led to the vacancy arising" as well as the impact of the Christmas break on arrangements.
Welsh Labour announced that it would be drawing up a shortlist of candidates in advance of a ballot of local members. Jack Sargeant, the son of the former AM Carl Sargeant, announced that he was putting his name forward for selection. He cited a desire to continue his father's work in the constituency. Also on Labour's shortlist were Flintshire County Councillor Carolyn Thomas and Saltney Town Councillor Hannah Jones. Jack Sargeant was selected as the Labour candidate on 3 January 2018, reportedly winning over 50% of the vote.
The Welsh Conservatives announced former district nurse and social worker Sarah Atherton as their candidate on 18 December 2017. At the 2019 General Election, Atherton was elected as MP for the nearby constituency of Wrexham, becoming the first Conservative ever to win the seat.
UKIP stated that they would not field a candidate if Jack Sargeant was chosen as the Labour candidate. The seat had been their top target two years previously. Following Jack Sargaent's nomination as the Labour candidate on 3 January 2018 UKIP issued no further statement, but as expected no UKIP candidate appeared on the final list of candidates following the closure of nominations on 10 January 2018.
Nominations closed at 4pm on 10 January 2018. A total of five candidates were nominated for the election.
|Liberal Democrats||Donna Lalek||1,176||6.3||+1.8|
|Plaid Cymru||Carrie Harper||1,059||5.7||−3.3|
|Plaid Cymru||Jacqueline Hurst||1,944||9.0||+1.4|
|Liberal Democrats||Peter Williams||980||4.5||−3.1|
- "Carl Sargeant death: Alyn and Deeside by-election set for February". 4 December 2017 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Sacked Labour minister dies". 7 November 2017 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- Masters, Adrian. "The Alyn and Deeside by-election will be held on February 6th. That's a Tuesday". Retrieved 3 February 2018.
- "Carl Sargeant removed from Welsh Government after allegations". BBC News. Retrieved 5 November 2017.
- "Welsh Labour politician Carl Sargeant took own life days after being suspended over allegations about his conduct with women". telegraph. 7 November 2017.
- "Carl Sargeant: 'Hanging' cause of ex-minister's death". BBC News. 13 November 2017.
- Hodgson, Sarah (4 December 2017). "By-election to find Carl Sargeant's successor announced following AM's death". Retrieved 3 February 2018.
- "Carl Sargeant's son in Alyn and Deeside by-election bid". 11 December 2017 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Sargeant's son on by-election shortlist". 19 December 2017. Retrieved 3 February 2018 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Sargeant's son chosen to fight by-election". 3 February 2018. Retrieved 3 February 2018 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Duncan Rees announces he will stand as prospective Green Party candidate in Alyn and Deeside by-election". 4 January 2018. Retrieved 3 February 2018.
- "Conservatives first to announce Alyn and Deeside by-election". 18 December 2017. Retrieved 3 February 2018.
- "UKIP rejects new AM in row over staff". 3 February 2018. Retrieved 3 February 2018 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Plaid Cymru announce Carrie Harper as choice to fight the Alyn & Deeside by-election". 3 January 2018. Retrieved 3 February 2018.
- "Welsh Liberal Democrats announce candidate for Alyn and Deeside by-election". 21 December 2017. Retrieved 3 February 2018.
- "Elections" (PDF). Retrieved 2018-02-08.