2018 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The 2018 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (formally known as the Formula 1 2018 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix) was a Formula One motor race held on 25 November 2018 at the Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. The race was the final round of the 2018 Formula One World Championship and marked the tenth running of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix and the tenth time that the race has been run as a World Championship event since the inaugural season in 1950.
|2018 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix|
Race 21 of 21 in the 2018 Formula One World Championship|
|Date||25 November 2018|
|Official name||Formula 1 2018 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix|
|Location||Yas Marina Circuit, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates|
|Course||Permanent racing facility|
|Course length||5.554 km (3.451 mi)|
|Distance||55 laps, 305.355 km (189.739 mi)|
|Time||1:40.867 on lap 54|
|Third||Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer|
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (January 2019)
McLaren announced they would be using a special one-off livery to celebrate the last race of Fernando Alonso. This was the first time McLaren had run a special livery since the 1986 Portuguese Grand Prix. McLaren also invited the family of seven time Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Champion Jimmie Johnson to the race. Johnson and his family watched the race from the McLaren garage.
Title standings before the raceEdit
Prior to the race, Lewis Hamilton had already secured the 2018 World Drivers' Championship title, while his team, Mercedes, had secured the 2018 World Constructors' Championship title. Lewis Hamilton claimed his fifth World Drivers' title at the 2018 Mexican Grand Prix; following the Brazilian Grand Prix he led Sebastian Vettel by 81 points with Kimi Räikkönen being third, a further 51 points behind. In the World Constructors' Championship, Mercedes led Ferrari by 67 points with only one race remaining in the season, with Red Bull Racing being third in the standings.
Hamilton won the race from pole position with Vettel and Max Verstappen completing the podium.. This race was also marred by a terrible shunt in turn 9 on lap one. It started when Romain Grosjean got loose and tapped Nico Hülkenberg sending his Renault R.S.18 barrel rolling into the barrier, thus sending the race into a safety car situation, the first such instance in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix since 2012.
After the race had been completed Alonso celebrated the end of his career by performing doughnuts on the pit straight. Jimmie Johnson congratulated Alonso on his career. The two would later exchange their respective cars in a car swap at Bahrain International Circuit.
|5||3||Daniel Ricciardo||Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer||1:37.117||1:36.964||1:35.401||5|
|6||33||Max Verstappen||Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer||1:37.195||1:36.144||1:35.589||6|
|9||31||Esteban Ocon||Force India-Mercedes||1:36.936||1:36.814||1:36.540||9|
|11||55||Carlos Sainz Jr.||Renault||1:37.757||1:36.982||11|
|14||11||Sergio Pérez||Force India-Mercedes||1:37.255||1:37.541||14|
|16||28||Brendon Hartley||Scuderia Toro Rosso-Honda||1:37.994||16|
|17||10||Pierre Gasly||Scuderia Toro Rosso-Honda||1:38.166||17|
|107% time: 1:43.549|
- ^1 – Fernando Alonso received three five-second penalties for leaving the track and gaining an advantage. Esteban Ocon received one five-second penalty for the same offence.
Championship standings after the raceEdit
- Note: Only the top five positions are included for both sets of standings.
- "Abu Dhabi". formula1.com.
- "McLaren reveal one-off livery for Alonso's final race". formula1.com. Formula One World Championship Limited. 21 November 2018. Retrieved 23 November 2018.
- "Standings". Formula1.com. Retrieved 24 November 2018.
- "Formula 1 2018 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix – Qualifying". Formula1.com. Formula One World Championship Limited. 24 November 2018. Retrieved 24 November 2018.
- "Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2018 race report | Formula 1®". www.formula1.com. Retrieved 11 January 2019.
- Sport, Telegraph (25 November 2018). "Nico Hulkenberg trapped in ablaze Renault for three minutes after dramatic crash at Abu Dhabi GP". Retrieved 6 March 2019 – via www.telegraph.co.uk.
- "DT'S 10 THOUGHTS… On Abu Dhabi and beyond | Formula 1®". www.formula1.com. Retrieved 11 January 2019.
- "Formula 1 2018 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix – Race Result". Formula1.com. Formula One World Championship Limited. 25 November 2018. Retrieved 25 November 2018.
- "Abu Dhabi 2018 - Championship • STATS F1". www.statsf1.com. Retrieved 31 January 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.|
2018 Brazilian Grand Prix
|FIA Formula One World Championship
2019 Australian Grand Prix
2017 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix
|Abu Dhabi Grand Prix||Next race:|
2019 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix