2017 Singapore Grand Prix
The 2017 Singapore Grand Prix (formally known as the 2017 Formula 1 Singapore Airlines Singapore Grand Prix) was a Formula One motor race held on 17 September 2017 at the Marina Bay Street Circuit in Marina Bay, Singapore. It was the fourteenth round of the 2017 FIA Formula One World Championship, and marked the eighteenth running of the Singapore Grand Prix, the tenth time the race had been held at Marina Bay.
|2017 Singapore Grand Prix|
|Race 14 of 20 in the 2017 Formula One World Championship|
Layout of the Marina Bay Street Circuit
|Date||17 September 2017|
|Official name||2017 Formula 1 Singapore Airlines Singapore Grand Prix|
Marina Bay Street Circuit|
Marina Bay, Singapore
|Course||Temporary street circuit|
|Course length||5.065 km (3.147 mi)|
|Distance||58 laps, 293.633 km (182.455 mi)|
|Scheduled distance||61 laps, 308.828 km (191.897 mi)|
|Weather||Wet at start, then drying. Air temperature: 28°C (82°F)|
|Time||1:45.008 on lap 55 (lap record)|
|Second||Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer|
Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton entered the round with a three-point lead over Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel in the World Drivers' Championship, with Valtteri Bottas third. In the Constructors' standings, Mercedes led Ferrari by 62 points, while Red Bull Racing were third.
The race was won by Mercedes's Lewis Hamilton who took the lead on the first lap following a significant collision between Sebastian Vettel, Max Verstappen and Kimi Räikkönen. Daniel Ricciardo finished second with Valtteri Bottas taking third. This result increased Hamilton's lead in the Drivers' Championship to 28 points and increased Mercedes's lead in the Constructors' standings to 102 points.
Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo went fastest in first practice with a time of 1:42.489. He was followed by the Ferrari of Sebastian Vettel and his teammate Max Verstappen while championship leader Lewis Hamilton was only fourth fastest. Ricciardo was also quickest in second practice, followed by Verstappen and Hamilton.
Max Verstappen was quickest in both Q1 and Q2 as Red Bull seemed to have the advantage over Mercedes and Ferrari. However, Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel took pole in the final session with a lap time of 1.39.491, ahead of Verstappen and teammate Ricciardo. Championship leader Lewis Hamilton could only take fifth on the grid with teammate Bottas sixth.
Rainfall prior to the race start meant that the race would be the first night-time Grand Prix staged under wet conditions in Formula One history. Despite this, the race was started under normal racing conditions without the safety car as per 2017 rule changes. At the start, Räikkönen had an excellent start compared to his teammate Vettel and Verstappen of Red Bull. Vettel and Räikkönen had Verstappen in the middle of them with him nowhere to go. Verstappen's tyres touched with Räikkönen as a result sending Räikkönen out of control and he hit left sidepod of his teammate Vettel's car, causing significant damage to both, and then also hit Verstappen's car again going into turn 1. This caused the immediate retirement of both Räikkönen and Verstappen. Vettel was initially able to continue despite noticeable damage, followed by Hamilton, who had a good start with Ricciardo behind. However, Vettel soon spun due to the damage and subsequently retired. This marked the first occasion in Formula One history when both works Ferraris were eliminated on the opening lap. Alonso had also sustained damage as a result of the incident in turn 1 and eventually retired on lap 9. The collisions on the opening lap brought out a safety car that led the field until lap 4. At the restart Lewis Hamilton continued to lead, followed by Daniel Ricciardo in second and Nico Hülkenberg in third. Hamilton then was able to pull away and establish a comfortable lead over Ricciardo.
There were two further safety car periods over the course of the race. One on lap 11, after Daniil Kvyat crashed at turn 7, and one on lap 38 after Marcus Ericsson spun. Bottas managed to get up to third and Carlos Sainz to fourth after the first safety car period as those on full wets ahead of them pitted for inters, the tyres Bottas and Sainz were already on. Hamilton was again able to get away well at both restarts. Kevin Magnussen and Nico Hülkenberg - from 4th position after passing Sainz in the second safety car period - would both retire later in the race with mechanical issues. Hamilton won the race from Ricciardo, and Valtteri Bottas took the final podium place, while Sainz achieved his career-best finish of 4th place. Jolyon Palmer came home in 6th place for his first points finish of the season, on the same weekend it was announced he would be replaced by Sainz at the end of the season. The drivers did not complete the scheduled race distance of 61 laps due to the 2-hour time limit being reached, so the chequered flag was shown on lap 58.
|2||33||Max Verstappen||Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer||1:42.010||1:40.332||1:39.814||2|
|3||3||Daniel Ricciardo||Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer||1:42.063||1:40.385||1:39.840||3|
|10||55||Carlos Sainz Jr.||Toro Rosso||1:42.176||1:41.826||1:42.056||10|
|12||11||Sergio Pérez||Force India-Mercedes||1:43.594||1:42.246||12|
|13||26||Daniil Kvyat||Toro Rosso||1:42.544||1:42.338||13|
|14||31||Esteban Ocon||Force India-Mercedes||1:43.626||1:42.760||14|
|107% time: 1:49.150|
|2||3||Daniel Ricciardo||Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer||58||+4.507||3||18|
|4||55||Carlos Sainz Jr.||Toro Rosso||58||+22.822||10||12|
|5||11||Sergio Pérez||Force India-Mercedes||58||+25.359||12||10|
|10||31||Esteban Ocon||Force India-Mercedes||58||+44.795||14||1|
|12||94||Pascal Wehrlein||Sauber-Ferrari||56||+2 Laps||19|
|Ret||27||Nico Hülkenberg||Renault||48||Oil leak||7|
|Ret||26||Daniil Kvyat||Toro Rosso||10||Accident||13|
|Ret||14||Fernando Alonso||McLaren-Honda||8||Collision damage||8|
|Ret||5||Sebastian Vettel||Ferrari||0||Collision damage||1|
|Ret||33||Max Verstappen||Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer||0||Collision||2|
Championship standings after the raceEdit
- Note: Only the top five positions are included for both sets of standings.
- "Singapore". Formula1.com. Formula One World Championship Limited. 2017. Retrieved 14 September 2017.
- Mitchell, Malcolm. "2017 Formula 1 World Championship Programmes - The Motor Racing Programme Covers Project". www.progcovers.com.
- Mitchell, Malcolm. "Singapore (Marina Bay) - The Motor Racing Programme Covers Project". www.progcovers.com.
- "F1 reveals overall rise in 2017 attendance". GPupdate.net. JHED Media BV. 8 December 2017. Archived from the original on 9 December 2017.
- "Practice – Results – Singapore Grand Prix – 2017 – Formula 1". BBC Sport. Retrieved 15 September 2017.
- "Singapore GP: Daniel Ricciardo top with Lewis Hamilton fourth". BBC Sport. 15 September 2017. Retrieved 15 September 2017.
- "Singapore Grand Prix: Sebastian Vettel storms to stunning pole position". BBC Sport. 16 September 2017. Retrieved 16 September 2017.
- "Qualifying – Results – Singapore Grand Prix – 2017 – Formula 1". BBC Sport. Retrieved 16 September 2017.
- "Hamilton dodges first lap carnage to win Singapore GP, F1's first wet night race". MotorSportsTalk. 17 September 2017. Retrieved 17 September 2017.
- Benson, Andrew (17 September 2017). "Lewis Hamilton wins in Singapore after Ferrari crash". BBC. Retrieved 18 September 2017.
- Richards, Giles (17 September 2017). "Lewis Hamilton wins Singapore Grand Prix after Sebastian Vettel crashes out". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 17 September 2017.
- "Lewis Hamilton wins in Singapore after Ferrari crash". BBC Sport. 17 September 2017. Retrieved 17 September 2017.
- "Formula 1 Singapore Airlines Singapore Grand Prix 2017 – Qualifying". Formula1.com. Formula One World Championship Ltd. 16 September 2017. Retrieved 16 September 2017.
- "Formula 1 Singapore Airlines Singapore Grand Prix 2017 – Race Result". Formula1.com. Formula One World Championship Ltd. 17 September 2017. Retrieved 17 September 2017.
- "Singapore 2016 - Championship • STATS F1". www.statsf1.com. Retrieved 20 March 2019.
2017 Italian Grand Prix
|FIA Formula One World Championship
2017 Malaysian Grand Prix
2016 Singapore Grand Prix
|Singapore Grand Prix||Next race:|
2018 Singapore Grand Prix