The 2017 DFL-Supercup was the eighth edition of the German super cup under the name DFL-Supercup, an annual football match contested by the winners of the previous season's Bundesliga and DFB-Pokal competitions. The match was played on 5 August 2017.
Match programme cover
|Bayern Munich won 5–4 on penalties|
|Date||5 August 2017|
|Venue||Signal Iduna Park, Dortmund|
|Man of the Match||Joshua Kimmich (Bayern Munich)|
|Referee||Felix Zwayer (Berlin)|
16 °C (61 °F)
In the following table, matches until 1996 were in the DFB-Supercup era, since 2010 were in the DFL-Supercup era.
|Team||Qualification||Previous appearances (bold indicates winners)|
|Borussia Dortmund||2016–17 DFB-Pokal winners||8 (1989, 1995, 1996, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016)|
|Bayern MunichTH||2016–17 Bundesliga champions||10 (1987, 1989, 1990, 1994, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)|
Both teams have won the competition five times, a joint record. The match was Dortmund's second consecutive and ninth overall appearance, with a record of five wins and three losses prior. The match was Bayern's record sixth consecutive and record eleventh overall appearance, with a record of five wins and five losses prior. This was the record sixth super cup between Dortmund and Bayern, having previously met in 1989, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2016. Of these, Dortmund have won three (in 1989, 2013, and 2014), while Bayern have won twice (in 2012 and 2016).
Christian Pulisic opened the scoring for Borussia Dortmund in the 12th minute when he ran in on goal and shot low with his right foot past the advancing Sven Ulreich. Robert Lewandowski made it 1–1 in the 18th minute when he finished with his right foot from close range after a low cross from the right by Joshua Kimmich. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang made it 2–1 in the 71st minute when he clipped the ball over the advancing Sven Ulreich from the right of the penalty area with his right foot.
With two minutes to go the ball deflected into the net off Roman Bürki from close range after an initial shot from Joshua Kimmich hit Marc Bartra and came back to hit Bürki before going into the net. In the penalty shoot-out, Joshua Kimmich missed for Bayern Munich and Sebastian Rode missed for Borussia Dortmund. Marc Bartra the took the sixth penalty for Borussia Dortmund where his shot was saved to his right by Sven Ulreich which allowed Bayern Munich to win 5–4 on penalties for their sixth Supercup.
|Borussia Dortmund||2–2||Bayern Munich|
|Statistic||Borussia Dortmund||Bayern Munich|
|Shots on target||4||5|
- "Bayern Munich beat Dortmund on penalties to retain Supercup". Bundesliga. Deutsche Fußball Liga. 5 August 2017. Retrieved 5 August 2017.
- "BVB gegen Bayern: Zwayer leitet Supercup, Stieler ist Video-Assistent" [BVB against Bayern: Zwayer heads Supercup, Stieler is video assistant]. DFB.de (in German). German Football Association. 3 August 2017. Retrieved 3 August 2017.
- "Deutscher Supercup, 2017, Finale" [German Supercup, 2017, Final]. DFB.de (in German). German Football Association. 5 August 2017. Retrieved 5 August 2017.
- "Weather History for Dortmund, DE". Weather Underground. The Weather Company. 5 August 2017. Retrieved 5 August 2017.
- "Bundesliga reveals dates for your diary 2017/18". Bundesliga. DFL Deutsche Fußball Liga GmbH. 2 December 2016. Retrieved 29 April 2017.
- "Supercup 2017 am 5. August in Dortmund" [2017 Supercup on 5 August in Dortmund]. Bundesliga. DFL Deutsche Fußball Liga GmbH. 2 June 2017. Retrieved 14 June 2017.
- "Borussia Dortmund 0-2 Bayern Munich: Vidal & Muller give Ancelotti's men win". Goal.com. Perform Group. 14 August 2016. Retrieved 30 April 2017.
- "(West) Germany - List of Super/League Cup Finals". RSSSF.com. Rec.Sport.Soccer Statistics Foundation. 25 August 2016. Archived from the original on 10 August 2011. Retrieved 10 May 2016.
- "Ajax coach Peter Bosz succeeds Thomas Tuchel at Borussia Dortmund". Bundesliga. DFL Deutsche Fußball Liga GmbH. 6 June 2017. Retrieved 14 June 2017.
- "Bayern Munich 2-2 Borussia Dortmund (5-4 on penalties): Bundesliga holders win German Super Cup after dramatic late equaliser by Joshua Kimmich". Mail Online. Daily Mail. 5 August 2017. Retrieved 24 August 2017.
- "Bayern edge Dortmund on penalties to win German Super Cup". ESPN FC. ESPN Inc. 5 August 2017. Retrieved 24 August 2017.
- "Ligaverband: Ligastatut" [League Association: League Regulations] (PDF). DFB.de (in German). German Football Association. p. 241. Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- "Borussia Dortmund vs. Bayern Munich - Football Match Stats - August 5, 2017". ESPN FC. ESPN Inc. 5 August 2017. Retrieved 5 August 2017.