2017 Camping World 500
The 2017 Camping World 500 is a Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series race held on March 19, 2017, at Phoenix International Raceway in Avondale, Arizona. Contested over 314 laps, extended from 312 laps due to overtime, on the one-mile (1.6 km) oval, it will be the fourth race of the 2017 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series season.
|Race 4 of 36 in the 2017 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series|
|Date||March 19, 2017|
|Location||Phoenix International Raceway in Avondale, Arizona|
Permanent racing facility|
1 mi (1.6 km)
|Distance||314 laps, 314 mi (502.4 km)|
|Scheduled Distance||312 laps, 312 mi (499.2 km)|
|Average speed||104.271 miles per hour (167.808 km/h)|
|Most laps led|
|Driver||Kyle Busch||Joe Gibbs Racing|
|No. 31||Ryan Newman||Richard Childress Racing|
|Television in the United States|
|Announcers||Mike Joy, Jeff Gordon and Darrell Waltrip|
|Radio in the United States|
|Booth Announcers||Joe Moore, Jeff Striegle and Rusty Wallace|
|Turn Announcers||Dan Hubbard (1 & 2) and Kyle Rickey (3 & 4)|
Phoenix International Raceway, also known as PIR, is a one-mile, low-banked tri-oval race track located in Avondale, Arizona. The motorsport track opened in 1964 and currently hosts two NASCAR race weekends annually. PIR has also hosted the IndyCar Series, CART, USAC and the Rolex Sports Car Series. The raceway is currently owned and operated by International Speedway Corporation.
|1||24||Chase Elliott||Hendrick Motorsports||Chevrolet||26.258||137.101|
|2||42||Kyle Larson||Chip Ganassi Racing||Chevrolet||26.379||136.472|
|3||22||Joey Logano||Team Penske||Ford||26.385||136.441|
|Official first practice results|
Joey Logano scored the pole for the race with a time of 26.216 and a speed of 137.321 mph (220.997 km/h). He said after his run he believed he "had a pretty good (Turns) 1 and 2, I was able to hook the bottom. (Turns) 3 and 4 is where nothing went right. I didn’t think it was going to be quite good enough. I pushed as hard as I could. Sometimes you overdrive it a little bit and you can still make some speed. Proud of this team and proud of the all-Ford front row. That’s a pretty special deal.”
|1||22||Joey Logano||Team Penske||Ford||26.552||26.265||26.216|
|2||21||Ryan Blaney||Wood Brothers Racing||Ford||26.523||26.329||26.301|
|3||88||Dale Earnhardt Jr.||Hendrick Motorsports||Chevrolet||26.560||26.432||26.319|
|4||42||Kyle Larson||Chip Ganassi Racing||Chevrolet||26.336||26.452||26.344|
|5||1||Jamie McMurray||Chip Ganassi Racing||Chevrolet||26.380||26.413||26.412|
|6||2||Brad Keselowski||Team Penske||Ford||26.573||26.481||26.433|
|7||24||Chase Elliott||Hendrick Motorsports||Chevrolet||26.574||26.361||26.441|
|8||77||Erik Jones (R)||Furniture Row Racing||Toyota||26.845||26.451||26.444|
|9||18||Kyle Busch||Joe Gibbs Racing||Toyota||26.779||26.496||26.485|
|10||5||Kasey Kahne||Hendrick Motorsports||Chevrolet||26.647||26.468||26.498|
|11||41||Kurt Busch||Stewart-Haas Racing||Ford||26.667||26.461||26.502|
|12||20||Matt Kenseth||Joe Gibbs Racing||Toyota||26.653||26.441||26.530|
|13||14||Clint Bowyer||Stewart-Haas Racing||Ford||26.861||26.523||—|
|14||48||Jimmie Johnson||Hendrick Motorsports||Chevrolet||26.610||26.544||—|
|15||13||Ty Dillon (R)||Germain Racing||Chevrolet||26.846||26.548||—|
|16||78||Martin Truex Jr.||Furniture Row Racing||Toyota||26.659||26.562||—|
|17||3||Austin Dillon||Richard Childress Racing||Chevrolet||26.717||26.587||—|
|18||27||Paul Menard||Richard Childress Racing||Chevrolet||26.690||26.598||—|
|19||11||Denny Hamlin||Joe Gibbs Racing||Toyota||26.643||26.634||—|
|20||47||A. J. Allmendinger||JTG Daugherty Racing||Chevrolet||26.787||26.663||—|
|21||17||Ricky Stenhouse Jr.||Roush Fenway Racing||Ford||26.614||26.672||—|
|22||31||Ryan Newman||Richard Childress Racing||Chevrolet||26.562||26.702||—|
|23||4||Kevin Harvick||Stewart-Haas Racing||Ford||26.585||26.772||—|
|24||6||Trevor Bayne||Roush Fenway Racing||Ford||26.788||26.787||—|
|25||95||Michael McDowell||Leavine Family Racing||Chevrolet||26.888||—||—|
|26||10||Danica Patrick||Stewart-Haas Racing||Ford||26.908||—||—|
|27||19||Daniel Suárez (R)||Joe Gibbs Racing||Toyota||26.913||—||—|
|28||43||Aric Almirola||Richard Petty Motorsports||Ford||26.973||—||—|
|29||34||Landon Cassill||Front Row Motorsports||Ford||27.005||—||—|
|30||32||Matt DiBenedetto||Go Fas Racing||Ford||27.028||—||—|
|31||83||Corey LaJoie (R)||BK Racing||Toyota||27.055||—||—|
|32||72||Cole Whitt||TriStar Motorsports||Chevrolet||27.061||—||—|
|33||37||Chris Buescher||JTG Daugherty Racing||Chevrolet||27.065||—||—|
|34||38||David Ragan||Front Row Motorsports||Ford||27.081||—||—|
|35||15||Reed Sorenson||Premium Motorsports||Chevrolet||27.262||—||—|
|36||23||Gray Gaulding (R)||BK Racing||Toyota||27.379||—||—|
|37||55||Derrike Cope||Premium Motorsports||Chevrolet||27.860||—||—|
|38||33||Jeffrey Earnhardt||Circle Sport – The Motorsports Group||Chevrolet||28.118||—||—|
|39||51||Timmy Hill (i)||Rick Ware Racing||Chevrolet||28.437||—||—|
|Official qualifying results|
|1||24||Chase Elliott||Hendrick Motorsports||Chevrolet||26.475||135.977|
|2||22||Joey Logano||Team Penske||Ford||26.575||135.466|
|3||42||Kyle Larson||Chip Ganassi Racing||Chevrolet||26.603||135.323|
|Official second practice results|
|1||22||Joey Logano||Team Penske||Ford||26.719||134.736|
|2||20||Matt Kenseth||Joe Gibbs Racing||Toyota||26.762||134.519|
|3||18||Kyle Busch||Joe Gibbs Racing||Toyota||26.786||134.399|
|Official final practice results|
Joey Logano led the field to the green flag at 3:48 p.m. It remained caution-free until Corey LaJoie slammed the wall in the dogleg on the backstretch on lap 26, bringing out the first caution of the race.
The race restarted on lap 33. The uneventful stage concluded on lap 75 when Logano took the stage victory and the second caution flew at its conclusion. Kurt Busch's team was changing a battery, sent him out to beat the pace car off pit road so as to not lose a lap. He was busted for speeding in the process and held a lap on pit road.
The race restarted on lap 86. Chase Elliott passed Logano going into Turn 1 on the restart to take the lead the following lap. The third caution flew on lap 118 when LaJoie slammed the wall in Turn 1. Aric Almirola and Logano restarted the race from the tail end of the field for speeding on pit road.
The race restarted on lap 123. It went green the rest of the stage, Elliott scored the stage victory and the fourth caution flew to conclude the second stage.
The race restarted on lap 158. Matt Kenseth suffered a right-front tire blowout and slammed the wall in Turn 4, bringing out the fifth caution with 120 laps to go. Kyle Busch exited pit road with the race lead.
The race restarted with 100 to go. Cole Whitt brought out the seventh caution with 55 to go when he slammed the wall in Turn 2. Ryan Blaney restarted the race from the tail end of the field for speeding on pit road.
The race restarted with 51 to go. Busch had the race in check until Logano suffered a right-front tire blowout – stemming from brake problems – and slammed the wall in Turn 1, bringing out the eighth caution with six to go. Ryan Newman chose not to pit and assumed the race lead along with Ricky Stenhouse Jr., and Martin Truex Jr.. Kyle Larson exited pit road first among the cars that opted to pit.
Newman said that this win was "sweet for so many reasons. I said that when I won the Brickyard. I said that when I won at Daytona. This has been the longest drought I’ve ever been in. … It’s just a hard‑fought race, a hard‑fought battle, a hard‑fought four years.”
Stage 1 Laps: 75
|1||22||Joey Logano||Team Penske||Ford||10|
|2||42||Kyle Larson||Chip Ganassi Racing||Chevrolet||9|
|3||2||Brad Keselowski||Team Penske||Ford||8|
|4||24||Chase Elliott||Hendrick Motorsports||Chevrolet||7|
|5||1||Jamie McMurray||Chip Ganassi Racing||Chevrolet||6|
|6||18||Kyle Busch||Joe Gibbs Racing||Toyota||5|
|7||21||Ryan Blaney||Wood Brothers Racing||Ford||4|
|8||48||Jimmie Johnson||Hendrick Motorsports||Chevrolet||3|
|9||31||Ryan Newman||Richard Childress Racing||Chevrolet||2|
|10||88||Dale Earnhardt Jr.||Hendrick Motorsports||Chevrolet||1|
|Official stage one results|
Stage 2 Laps: 75
|1||24||Chase Elliott||Hendrick Motorsports||Chevrolet||10|
|2||42||Kyle Larson||Chip Ganassi Racing||Chevrolet||9|
|3||18||Kyle Busch||Joe Gibbs Racing||Toyota||8|
|4||48||Jimmie Johnson||Hendrick Motorsports||Chevrolet||7|
|5||2||Brad Keselowski||Team Penske||Ford||6|
|6||1||Jamie McMurray||Chip Ganassi Racing||Chevrolet||5|
|7||77||Erik Jones (R)||Furniture Row Racing||Toyota||4|
|8||21||Ryan Blaney||Wood Brothers Racing||Ford||3|
|9||11||Denny Hamlin||Joe Gibbs Racing||Toyota||2|
|10||4||Kevin Harvick||Stewart-Haas Racing||Ford||1|
|Official stage two results|
Final stage resultsEdit
Stage 3 Laps: 164
|1||22||31||Ryan Newman||Richard Childress Racing||Chevrolet||314||42|
|2||4||42||Kyle Larson||Chip Ganassi Racing||Chevrolet||314||53|
|3||9||18||Kyle Busch||Joe Gibbs Racing||Toyota||314||47|
|4||21||17||Ricky Stenhouse Jr.||Roush Fenway Racing||Ford||314||33|
|5||6||2||Brad Keselowski||Team Penske||Ford||314||46|
|6||23||4||Kevin Harvick||Stewart-Haas Racing||Ford||314||32|
|7||27||19||Daniel Suárez (R)||Joe Gibbs Racing||Toyota||314||30|
|8||8||77||Erik Jones (R)||Furniture Row Racing||Toyota||314||33|
|9||14||48||Jimmie Johnson||Hendrick Motorsports||Chevrolet||314||38|
|10||19||11||Denny Hamlin||Joe Gibbs Racing||Toyota||314||29|
|11||16||78||Martin Truex Jr.||Furniture Row Racing||Toyota||314||26|
|12||7||24||Chase Elliott||Hendrick Motorsports||Chevrolet||314||42|
|13||13||14||Clint Bowyer||Stewart-Haas Racing||Ford||314||24|
|14||3||88||Dale Earnhardt Jr.||Hendrick Motorsports||Chevrolet||314||24|
|15||5||1||Jamie McMurray||Chip Ganassi Racing||Chevrolet||314||33|
|16||15||13||Ty Dillon (R)||Germain Racing||Chevrolet||314||21|
|17||28||43||Aric Almirola||Richard Petty Motorsports||Ford||314||20|
|18||17||3||Austin Dillon||Richard Childress Racing||Chevrolet||314||19|
|19||24||6||Trevor Bayne||Roush Fenway Racing||Ford||314||18|
|20||10||5||Kasey Kahne||Hendrick Motorsports||Chevrolet||314||17|
|21||18||27||Paul Menard||Richard Childress Racing||Chevrolet||314||16|
|22||26||10||Danica Patrick||Stewart-Haas Racing||Ford||314||15|
|23||2||21||Ryan Blaney||Wood Brothers Racing||Ford||314||21|
|24||25||95||Michael McDowell||Leavine Family Racing||Chevrolet||314||13|
|25||11||41||Kurt Busch||Stewart-Haas Racing||Ford||314||12|
|26||20||47||A. J. Allmendinger||JTG Daugherty Racing||Chevrolet||314||11|
|27||33||37||Chris Buescher||JTG Daugherty Racing||Chevrolet||314||10|
|28||29||34||Landon Cassill||Front Row Motorsports||Ford||313||9|
|29||30||32||Matt DiBenedetto||Fas Lane Racing||Ford||313||8|
|30||35||15||Reed Sorenson||Premium Motorsports||Chevrolet||312||7|
|31||1||22||Joey Logano||Team Penske||Ford||307||16|
|32||39||51||Timmy Hill (i)||Rick Ware Racing||Chevrolet||307||0|
|33||37||55||Derrike Cope||Premium Motorsports||Chevrolet||307||4|
|34||32||72||Cole Whitt||TriStar Motorsports||Chevrolet||256||3|
|35||34||38||David Ragan||Front Row Motorsports||Ford||204||2|
|36||36||23||Gray Gaulding (R)||BK Racing||Toyota||201||1|
|37||12||20||Matt Kenseth||Joe Gibbs Racing||Toyota||190||1|
|38||31||83||Corey LaJoie (R)||BK Racing||Toyota||115||1|
|39||38||33||Jeffrey Earnhardt||Circle Sport – The Motorsports Group||Chevrolet||9||1|
|Official race results|
- Lead changes: 8 among different drivers
- Cautions/Laps: 8 for 45
- Red flags: 0
- Time of race: 3 hours, 0 minutes and 41 seconds
- Average speed: 104.271 miles per hour (167.808 km/h)
Fox Sports covered their 13th race at the Phoenix International Raceway. Mike Joy, two-time Phoenix winner Jeff Gordon and Darrell Waltrip had the call in the booth for the race. Jamie Little, Vince Welch and Matt Yocum handled the pit road duties for the television side.
|Booth announcers||Pit reporters|
|Lap-by-lap: Mike Joy
Color-commentator: Jeff Gordon
Color commentator: Darrell Waltrip
|Booth announcers||Turn announcers||Pit reporters|
|Lead announcer: Joe Moore
Announcer: Jeff Striegle
Announcer: Rusty Wallace
|Turns 1 & 2: Dan Hubbard
Turns 3 & 4: Kyle Rickey
Standings after the raceEdit
- "2017 schedule". Jayski.com. Jayski's Silly Season Site. May 5, 2016. Retrieved March 9, 2017.
- "Phoenix International Raceway". NASCAR.com. NASCAR Media Group, LLC. January 3, 2013. Retrieved March 9, 2017.
- "Entry List". MRN.com. Motor Racing Network. March 13, 2017. Archived from the original on March 14, 2017. Retrieved March 13, 2017.
- "First Practice Results". MRN.com. Motor Racing Network. March 17, 2017. Archived from the original on March 18, 2017. Retrieved March 17, 2017.
- "Qualifying Results". MRN.com. Motor Racing Network. March 17, 2017. Archived from the original on March 19, 2017. Retrieved March 17, 2017.
- "Second Practice Results". MRN.com. Motor Racing Network. March 18, 2017. Archived from the original on March 19, 2017. Retrieved March 18, 2017.
- "Final Practice Results". MRN.com. Motor Racing Network. March 18, 2017. Archived from the original on March 19, 2017. Retrieved March 18, 2017.
- "Camping World 500 Results". MRN.com. Motor Racing Network. March 19, 2017. Archived from the original on March 20, 2017. Retrieved March 19, 2017.
- "Points standings" (PDF). Jayski.com. Jayski's Silly Season Site. March 20, 2017. Archived from the original (PDF) on January 29, 2019. Retrieved March 20, 2017.
- "Manufacturer standings" (PDF). Jayski.com. Jayski's Silly Season Site. March 20, 2017. Archived from the original (PDF) on January 29, 2019. Retrieved March 20, 2017.
- Spencer, Lee (March 17, 2017). "Chase Elliott tops opening Cup practice at Phoenix". Motorsport.com. Avondale, Arizona: Motorsport Network. Retrieved March 17, 2017.
- Baum, Bob (March 17, 2017). "Logano uses fast late lap to claim pole in Phoenix". Associated Press. Avondale, Arizona: AP Sports. Associated Press. Retrieved March 17, 2017.
- Utter, Jim (March 17, 2017). "Logano edges Blaney for pole in Ford 1-2 at Phoenix". Motorsport.com. Avondale, Arizona: Motorsport Network. Retrieved March 18, 2017.
- Spencer, Lee (March 18, 2017). "Chase Elliott leads practice once again Saturday morning". Motorsport.com. Avondale, Arizona: Motorsport Network. Retrieved March 18, 2017.
- Spencer, Lee (March 18, 2017). "Joey Logano tops final practice at Phoenix". Motorsport.com. Avondale, Arizona: Motorsport Network. Retrieved March 18, 2017.
- Engle, Greg (March 19, 2017). "The NASCAR Camping World 500 at Phoenix as it happened". CupScene.com. Cup Scene. Retrieved March 23, 2017.
- Gluck, Jeff (March 19, 2017). "The Top Five: Breaking down the Phoenix race". JeffGluck.com. Avondale, Arizona: Jeff Gluck. Retrieved March 23, 2017.
- Bruce, Kenny (March 19, 2017). "Second place isn't first loser for points leader Larson". NASCAR.com. Avondale, Arizona: NASCAR Media Group, LLC. Retrieved March 23, 2017.
- Knight, Michael (March 19, 2017). "Larson's strong consistency continues at PIR". The Arizona Republic. Avondale, Arizona: Gannett Company. Retrieved March 23, 2017.
- Baum, Bob (March 19, 2017). "Newman skips late pit stop, stuns NASCAR field in Phoenix". Associated Press. Avondale, Arizona: AP Sports. Associated Press. Retrieved March 19, 2017.
- Jensen, Tom (March 19, 2017). "Ryan Newman on winning again: 'It's been a hard-fought four years'". Foxsports.com. Avondale, Arizona: Fox Sports Digital Media. Retrieved March 23, 2017.
2017 Kobalt 400
|Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series
2017 Auto Club 400