2017–18 Chicago Bulls season
The 2017–18 Chicago Bulls season was the 52nd season of the franchise in the National Basketball Association (NBA). For the first time since 2011, All-Star Jimmy Butler was not on the roster as he was traded to the Minnesota Timberwolves in the off-season. On February 1, 2018, months after his confrontation with teammate Bobby Portis, Nikola Mirotić agreed to a trade where he'd be sent alongside a future second round pick to the New Orleans Pelicans in exchange for Ömer Aşık, Tony Allen, Jameer Nelson, and a future first round pick. The Bulls had their first losing season since 2008, and their first 50-loss season since 2004.
|2017–18 Chicago Bulls season|
|Head coach||Fred Hoiberg|
|General manager||Gar Forman|
|Place||Division: 5th (Central)|
Conference: 13th (Eastern)
|Playoff finish||Did not qualify|
|Television||NBC Sports Chicago|
Newly acquired Zach LaVine played in just 24 games this season due to knee injuries.
Entering draft night, the Bulls possessed picks 16 and 38, with the latter being acquired via a trade with the Cleveland Cavaliers. Exiting draft night, they left with only one draft pick that wasn't even originally theirs to begin with. First, they traded away All-Star shooting guard Jimmy Butler and their #16 pick (which became redshirted freshman center Justin Patton from Creighton University), to the Minnesota Timberwolves for Zach LaVine, Kris Dunn, and the Timberwolves' #7 pick in the draft, which became the star Finnish freshman center/power forward Lauri Markkanen from the University of Arizona. As for their own second-round selection on the day of the draft, one that the Bulls got from Cleveland, they traded away that pick (which was junior power forward Jordan Bell from the University of Oregon) to the defending champion Golden State Warriors in exchange for $3.5 million.
|2017–18 Chicago Bulls roster|
|y – Cleveland Cavaliers||50||32||.610||0.0||29–12||21–20||11–5||82|
|x – Indiana Pacers||48||34||.585||2.0||27–14||21–20||10–6||82|
|x – Milwaukee Bucks||44||38||.537||6.0||25–16||19–22||6–10||82|
|1||c – Toronto Raptors *||59||23||.720||–||82|
|2||x – Boston Celtics||55||27||.671||4.0||82|
|3||x – Philadelphia 76ers||52||30||.634||7.0||82|
|4||y – Cleveland Cavaliers *||50||32||.610||9.0||82|
|5||x – Indiana Pacers||48||34||.585||11.0||82|
|6||y – Miami Heat *||44||38||.537||15.0||82|
|7||x – Milwaukee Bucks||44||38||.537||15.0||82|
|8||x – Washington Wizards||43||39||.524||16.0||82|
|11||New York Knicks||29||53||.354||30.0||82|
|2017 pre-season game log|
Total: 3–3 (Home: 1–2; Road: 2–1)
Pre-season: 3–3 (Home: 1–2; Road: 2–1)
|2017–18 season schedule|
|2017–18 game log|
Total: 27–55 (Home: 17–24; Road: 10–31)
October: 1–4 (Home: 1–2; Road: 0–2)
November : 2–13 (Home: 1–4; Road: 1–9)
December : 9–6 (Home: 6–2; Road: 3–4)
January : 5–9 (Home: 2–5; Road: 3–4)
February : 2–8 (Home: 2–3; Road: 0–5)
March : 5–10 (Home: 2–5; Road: 3–5)
April : 2–4 (Home: 2–2; Road: 0–2)
|2017–18 season schedule|
Injuries/Personal games missedEdit
|Player||Duration||Reason for Missed Time||Games Missed|
|Zach LaVine||February 4, 2017||January 13, 2018||Tore his ACL while playing with Minnesota.||??|
|Cameron Payne||September 6, 2017||Unknown (Three-to-four months)||Had surgery on his right foot.||??|
|Nikola Mirotić||October 17, 2017||December 8, 2017||Hospitalized for engaging in a fight with Bobby Portis.||23|
|Bobby Portis||October 17, 2017||November 7, 2017||Suspended for punching teammate Nikola Mirotić in his face.||8|
|June 22, 2017||To Chicago Bulls
Draft right to Lauri Markkanen (pick 7)
|To Minnesota Timberwolves|
Draft right to Justin Patton (pick 16)
|February 1, 2018||To Chicago Bulls
2018 Top 5 protected first round pick
Right to swap 2021 second round picks with New Orleans
|To New Orleans Pelicans|
2018 second round pick (from New Orleans via Chicago)
|Cristiano Felício||4-year contract worth $32 million|
|Nikola Mirotić||2-year contract worth $27 million|
|Justin Holiday||2-year contract worth $9 million||New York Knicks|
|Antonio Blakeney||Two-way contract||Louisiana State Tigers|
|Ryan Arcidiacono||Two-way contract||Austin Spurs|
|Diamond Stone||2-year contract worth $2.8 million||New York Knicks|
|Kay Felder||Cleveland Cavaliers|
|Player||Reason left||New team|
|Isaiah Canaan||Waived||Oklahoma City Thunder|
|Rajon Rondo||Waived||New Orleans Pelicans|
|Michael Carter-Williams||Free Agent||Charlotte Hornets|
|Dwyane Wade||Bought Out||Cleveland Cavaliers|
- "BULLS ACQUIRE DUNN, LAVINE AND MARKKANEN FROM MINNEOSTA". NBA.com. June 22, 2017. Retrieved June 23, 2017.
- "Chicago Bulls trade Nikola Mirotic to New Orleans Pelicans". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. February 1, 2018. Retrieved February 1, 2018.
- "Bulls re-sign Cristiano Felicio". NBA.com/bulls. July 6, 2017. Retrieved July 6, 2017.
- "Bulls re-sign Nikola Mirotic". NBA.com/bulls. September 26, 2017. Retrieved September 26, 2017.
- "Bulls sign Justin Holiday". NBA.com/bulls. July 10, 2017. Retrieved July 10, 2017.
- "Bulls sign Blakeney to Two-way contract". NBA.com/bulls. July 14, 2017. Retrieved July 14, 2017.
- "Bulls sign Arcidiacono to Two-way contract". NBA.com/bulls. August 1, 2017. Retrieved August 1, 2017.
- "Bulls sign Diamond Stone". NBA.com/bulls. September 14, 2017. Retrieved September 14, 2017.
- "Bulls waive Jarell Eddie and Diamond Stone, claim Kay Felder". NBA.com/bulls. October 16, 2017. Retrieved October 16, 2017.
- "Chicago Bulls release Rajon Rondo, Isaiah Canaan". NBA.com. Retrieved June 30, 2017.
- "Charlotte Hornets Sign Guard Michael Carter-Williams". NBA.com/hornets. July 7, 2017. Retrieved July 7, 2017.
- "BULLS REQUEST WAIVERS ON DWYANE WADE". NBA.com/bulls. Retrieved September 26, 2017.