2016 St. Petersburg Bowl
The 2016 St. Petersburg Bowl was a post-season American college football bowl game that was played on December 26, 2016 at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida, United States. The ninth edition of the St. Petersburg Bowl featured the Miami Redhawks from the Mid-American Conference against the Mississippi State Bulldogs from the Southeastern Conference.
|2016 St. Petersburg Bowl|
|9th St. Petersburg Bowl|
|Date||December 26, 2016|
|Location||St. Petersburg, Florida|
|Favorite||Mississippi State by 12|
|Referee||Jay Edwards (C-USA) |
|United States TV coverage|
On December 4, 2016, it was announced that the game would feature the Miami Redhawks against the Mississippi State Bulldogs after both accepted invitations Sunday, marking the first time each team would meet.
After finishing their regular season with a 6–6 record, the Miami Redhawks appeared in their eleventh bowl game, and the first since the 2011 GoDaddy.com Bowl game against Middle Tennessee. Miami opened the year with a six-game losing streak, and then finished with a six-game winning streak making them the first team to finish a regular season after they lost the first six consecutive games.
After finishing their regular season with a 5–7 record, Mississippi State appeared in their seventh straight bowl game. Mississippi State opened the year with 2 wins and 2 losses, losing to South Alabama and Louisiana State and winning against South Carolina and Massachusetts. Mississippi State then lost 3 consecutive games against Auburn, Brigham Young, and Kentucky before winning 2 games against Samford and Texas A&M. Lastly losing to Alabama and Arkansas before winning against Ole Miss in the Egg Bowl.
|Third down efficiency||3–9||7–14|
|Rushes-yards||35–170 (4.9)||33–209 (6.3)|
|Time of Possession||35:08||24:52|
- "College Bowl Game Odds". ESPN. December 7, 2016. Retrieved 2016-12-09.
- "2016 St. Petersburg Bowl Game Stats". Stat Broadcast. Stat Broadcast. Retrieved 26 December 2016.
- "2016–2017 College Football Bowl Game Schedule". CollegeFootballPoll.com. Retrieved 2016-12-07.
- Temple, Jesse; Scarborough, Alex (December 4, 2016). "St. Petersburg Bowl: Miami (Ohio) RedHawks vs. Mississippi State Bulldogs". ESPN. Retrieved 2016-12-05.
- Kirshner, Alex (December 4, 2016). "2016 St. Pete Bowl, Mississippi State vs. Miami (OH): Date, location, and everything to know". SBNation. Retrieved 2016-12-04.
- Lowery, Logan (December 5, 2016). "MSU fans can let cowbells ring in St. Pete". Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal. Archived from the original on 2016-12-20. Retrieved 2016-12-06.
- Clark, Dave (December 4, 2016). "RedHawks to meet Mississippi State in St. Petersburg Bowl". Cincinnati.com. Retrieved 2016-12-06.
- Lonon, Sherri (December 5, 2016). "St. Petersburg Bowl Lineup Announced". Patch. Retrieved 2016-12-06.
- Bonner, Michael (December 4, 2016). "MSU extends record berth bowl to seven consecutive years". The Clarion Ledger. Retrieved 2016-12-06.
- Wait, Ben (December 5, 2016). "MSU will play Miami (Ohio) in St. Petersburg Bowl". The Commercial Dispatch. Retrieved 2016-12-06.