2016 SportsCar Grand Prix
The 2016 Mobil 1 SportsCar Grand Prix was a professional sports car racing event held at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park near Bowmanville, Ontario on July 7, 8, 9 and 10, 2016. The race was the seventh round of the 2016 WeatherTech SportsCar Championship and the event marked the 31st IMSA sanctioned sports car race held at the facility.
For 2016, the WeatherTech Championship race featured all four classes, Prototype (P), Prototype Challenge (PC), GT Le Mans (GTLM) and the GT Daytona (GTD) for the first time since the 2013 edition of the Grand Prix. The weekend also included races for the Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge, Mazda Prototype Lites, the Global MX-5 Cup and the Nissan Micra Cup.
The race was won overall by Eric Curran and Dane Cameron, driving a Chevrolet Corvette DP for Action Express Racing. They finished ahead of the Action Express Racing sister car of João Barbosa and Christian Fittipaldi, while the podium was completed by Ricky and Jordan Taylor of Wayne Taylor Racing. In sixth place overall, CORE Autosport won the Prototype Challenge class with drivers Jon Bennett and Colin Braun, while the GT Le Mans honors were taken by Ford Chip Ganassi Racing drivers Ryan Briscoe and Richard Westbrook in the Ford GT in fourteenth place overall. The GT Daytona class was won by Bret Curtis and Jens Klingmann in the Turner Motorsport BMW M6 GT3.
The race was broadcast live by Fox Sports on Fox Sports 1 in the United States and on Fox Sports Racing in Canada, Puerto Rico and the Caribbean. The event was televised internationally by FOX Sports Latin America, Motors TV in Europe, and Fox Sports Asia.
|IMSA SportsCar Championship on Fox Sports|
|Booth Announcers||Pit reporters|
|Announcer||Greg Creamer||Jamie Howe|
The race was broadcast by IMSA Radio with announcers John Hindhaugh and Jeremy Shaw calling the race on IMSA.tv and radiolemans.com, and simulcast on Sirius channel 106 satellite radio and on 90.7 FM at the track.
|Booth Announcers||Pit reporters|
|Announcer||John Hindhaugh||Shea Adam|
Support race resultsEdit
|CTSC||Prototype Lites||MX-5 Cup||Nissan Micra Cup|
|GS|| Scott Maxwell
|Race 1||Clark Toppe||Nikko Reger||Xavier Coupal|
|ST|| Sarah Cattaneo
|Race 2||Austin Versteeg||Mark Drennan||Olivier Bedard|
- "IMSA announces schedule for 2016 WeatherTech SportsCar season". Fox Sports. August 8, 2015. Retrieved June 23, 2016.
- Dagys, John (August 8, 2015). "2016 WeatherTech SportsCar Schedule Released". sportscar365.com. Retrieved June 23, 2016.
- Chalmers, Ryan (November 17, 2015). "CTMP unveils 2015 major events schedule". Inside Track Motorsport News. Retrieved June 23, 2016.
- Dagys, John (July 10, 2016). "Action Express Racing takes 1-2 at Mosport". Fox Sports. Retrieved July 25, 2016.
- DiZinno, Tony (July 10, 2016). "IMSA: Action Express Corvette DP, Ford double up again at CTMP". NBC Sports. Retrieved July 25, 2016.
- McDonald, Norris (July 10, 2016). "Cameron, Curran win Mobil 1 SportsCar Grand Prix". The Toronto Star. Retrieved July 25, 2016.
- "Action Express Corvettes dominate Canadian IMSA race". Autoweek. July 10, 2016. Retrieved July 25, 2016.
- DeGroot, Nick (July 10, 2016). "Cameron, Curran earn first win of the season at CTMP". Motorsport.com. Retrieved July 25, 2016.
- Pruett, Marshall (July 10, 2016). "IMSA: Action Express, Ford rule in Canada". Racer.com. Archived from the original on July 13, 2016. Retrieved July 25, 2016.
- Cole Smith, Steven (July 11, 2016). "Action Express Racing Corvette DP wins at CTMP". Inside Track Motorsport News. Retrieved July 25, 2016.
- "Race Unofficial Results by Class" (PDF). International Motor Sports Association. July 10, 2015. Retrieved July 12, 2016.
- "IMSA: 2016 TV schedules for WeatherTech Championship and Continental Tire Challenge announced". Racer.com. January 21, 2016. Archived from the original on June 12, 2016. Retrieved June 23, 2016.
- Mobil 1 SportsCar Grand Prix official website
- IMSA.com Canadian Tire Motorsport Park event page
- on YouTube
- IMSA Radio 2016 SportsCar Grand Prix Race Broadcast
|WeatherTech SportsCar Championship|
6 Hours of Watkins Glen
|2016 season||Next race:|
Northeast Grand Prix