2016 Singapore Grand Prix
The 2016 Singapore Grand Prix (formally known as the 2016 Formula 1 Singapore Airlines Singapore Grand Prix) was a Formula One motor race held on 18 September 2016 at the Marina Bay Street Circuit in Marina Bay, Singapore. It was the fifteenth round of the 2016 FIA Formula One World Championship, and marked the seventeenth running of the Singapore Grand Prix and the ninth time the race had been held at Marina Bay.
|2016 Singapore Grand Prix|
|Race 15 of 21 in the 2016 Formula One World Championship|
Layout of the Marina Bay Street Circuit
|Date||18 September 2016|
|Official name||2016 Formula 1 Singapore Airlines Singapore Grand Prix|
Marina Bay Street Circuit|
Marina Bay, Singapore
|Course||Temporary street circuit|
|Course length||5.065 km (3.147 mi)|
|Distance||61 laps, 308.828 km (191.897 mi)|
30 °C (86 °F) air temperature
34–35 °C (93–95 °F) track temperature
1.5 m/s (4.9 ft/s) wind from the east
218,824 (Weekend) |
73,000 (3-Day Average)
|Driver||Daniel Ricciardo||Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer|
|Time||1:47.187 on lap 49|
|Second||Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer|
Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton entered the race leading the World Drivers' Championship by two points, ahead of teammate Nico Rosberg. In the World Constructors' Championship, Mercedes held a lead of 208 points. Red Bull Racing was placed second and Ferrari third. Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel was the defending race winner.
Rosberg started the race from pole position and led throughout, holding off a late challenge by Daniel Ricciardo to win by less than half a second in his 200th race in Formula One. Sebastian Vettel was awarded the Driver of the Day award after moving 17 spots to claim 5th position.
|2||3||Daniel Ricciardo||Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer||1:44.255||1:43.933||1:43.115||2|
|4||33||Max Verstappen||Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer||1:45.036||1:44.112||1:43.328||4|
|6||55||Carlos Sainz Jr.||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1:45.499||1:44.493||1:44.197||6|
|7||26||Daniil Kvyat||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1:45.291||1:44.475||1:44.469||7|
|8||27||Nico Hülkenberg||Force India-Mercedes||1:46.081||1:44.737||1:44.479||8|
|10||11||Sergio Pérez||Force India-Mercedes||1:45.204||1:44.703||1:44.582||171|
|107% time: 1:51.552|
- ^1 – Sergio Pérez received a five-place grid penalty for failing to slow for yellow flags and an additional three-place grid penalty for passing Esteban Gutiérrez under yellows.
- ^2 – Romain Grosjean received a five-place grid penalty for a new gearbox.
- ^3 – Sebastian Vettel penalised 5 places for unscheduled gearbox changes and 20 places for using additional power unit elements.
Championship standings after the raceEdit
- Bold text indicates who still had a theoretical chance of becoming World Champion.
- Note: Only the top five positions are included for both sets of standings.
- "Singapore". Formula1.com. Formula One World Championship Limited. 2016. Retrieved 8 September 2016.
- "GP Singapur in Singapur / Rennen". motorsport-total.com (in German). Archived from the original on 26 September 2017. Retrieved 26 September 2017.
- "Singapore GP attendance falls as economic slowdown hurts". ChannelNews Asia. 19 September 2016. Archived from the original on 19 September 2016. Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- "2016 Formula 1 Singapore Airlines Singapore Grand Prix – Qualifying". Formula1.com. Formula One World Championship Limited. 17 September 2016. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "Charge to fifth earns Vettel Driver of the Day award". Formula1.com. Formula One World Championship Limited. 18 September 2016. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- "Sergio Perez receives eight-place grid drop". Speedcafe.com. 18 September 2016. Retrieved 18 September 2016.
- "Perez handed grid drop for yellow flag offences". formula1.com. 18 September 2016. Retrieved 18 September 2016.
- "Gearbox penalty drops Grosjean five grid places". formula1.com. 18 September 2016. Retrieved 18 September 2016.
- Starting grid
- "2016 Formula 1 Singapore Airlines Singapore Grand Prix – Race Result". Formula1.com. Formula One World Championship Limited. 18 September 2016. Retrieved 18 September 2016.
- "Singapore 2016 - Championship • STATS F1". www.statsf1.com. Retrieved 20 March 2019.