2016 San Diego mayoral election
The 2016 San Diego mayoral election was held on Tuesday, June 7, 2016, to elect the Mayor for San Diego. Incumbent Kevin Faulconer ran for a second term as Mayor against former San Diego City Council member Ed Harris and former California State Assembly member Lori Saldaña.
Municipal elections in California are officially non-partisan, though some candidates do receive funding and support from various political parties. The non-partisan primary was held Tuesday, June 7, 2016. Faulconer received a majority of votes in the primary, precluding the need for the November election.
In October 2015, Ocean Beach Town Council president Gretchen Newsom became the first major Democratic candidate to announce that she would challenge Kevin Faulconer's bid for re-election. However, Newsom dropped out of the race only seven weeks after declaring her candidacy.
In January 2016, former California State Assembly member Lori Saldaña announced that she intended to run for mayor against Faulconer. Although Saldaña had been a Democrat while in the state assembly, she subsequently left the party in September 2014 and intended to run for mayor as an independent.
The primary election was held on Tuesday, June 7, 2016.
Because Faulconer won a majority of the votes in the primary, there was no need for a runoff in the November general election.
- Garrick, David (June 7, 2016). "Faulconer re-elected, Bry looks headed to runoff". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved June 8, 2016.
- "San Diego's primary election ballot finalized". CBS8. March 25, 2016. Retrieved March 26, 2016.
- Garrick, David (October 26, 2015). "Democrat challenging Faulconer's re-election". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved December 19, 2015.
- Garrick, David (December 11, 2015). "Newsom drops out of mayor's race". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved December 19, 2015.
- Dillon, Liam (January 25, 2016). "Saldaña: Voters Deserve 'a Clear Contrast'". Voice of San Diego. Retrieved January 31, 2016.
- "Democrat Ed Harris Enters San Diego Mayor's Race". KPBS. March 1, 2016. Retrieved 23 March 2016.
- "Election History - Mayor of San Diego" (PDF). City of San Diego. Retrieved March 26, 2016.