2016 Italian Grand Prix
The 2016 Italian Grand Prix (formally known as the Formula 1 Gran Premio Heineken d'Italia 2016) was a Formula One motor race held on 4 September 2016 at the Autodromo Nazionale Monza in Monza, Italy. It was the fourteenth round of the 2016 FIA Formula One World Championship, and marked the 86th running of the Italian Grand Prix and the 81st time the race was held at Monza.
|2016 Italian Grand Prix|
|Race 14 of 21 in the 2016 Formula One World Championship|
Layout of the Monza circuit
|Date||4 September 2016|
|Official name||Formula 1 Gran Premio Heineken d'Italia 2016|
Autodromo Nazionale Monza|
|Course||Permanent racing facility|
|Course length||5.793 km (3.600 mi)|
|Distance||53 laps, 306.720 km (190.587 mi)|
|Attendance||147,500 (Weekend) |
|Time||1:25.340 on lap 51|
Mercedes driver and winner of the previous year's race, Lewis Hamilton, entered the race leading the World Drivers' Championship by nine points ahead of teammate Nico Rosberg. In the World Constructors' Championship, Mercedes held a lead of 181 points. Red Bull Racing was placed second and Ferrari third.
Pirelli provided the teams with medium, soft and supersoft tyres. Pirelli anticipated that the difference between the different compounds would be less than one second per lap, with the differences between soft and supersoft to be around 0.7 of a second, and the difference between soft and medium about 0.9 seconds.
|6||3||Daniel Ricciardo||Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer||1:23.158||1:22.638||1:22.389||6|
|7||33||Max Verstappen||Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer||1:23.229||1:22.857||1:22.411||7|
|8||11||Sergio Pérez||Force India-Mercedes||1:23.439||1:22.922||1:22.814||8|
|9||27||Nico Hülkenberg||Force India-Mercedes||1:23.259||1:22.951||1:22.836||9|
|16||55||Carlos Sainz Jr.||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1:23.661||1:23.496||15|
|17||26||Daniil Kvyat||Toro Rosso-Ferrari||1:23.825||16|
|107% time: 1:27.583|
|–||31||Esteban Ocon||MRT-Mercedes||No time||221, 2|
- ^1 – Romain Grosjean and Esteban Ocon received a five-place grid penalty for an unscheduled gearbox change.
- ^2 – Esteban Ocon failed to set a lap time in qualifying. His participation in the race was at the discretion of the stewards.
- ^1 – Daniil Kvyat received a 5-second time penalty for speeding in the pit-lane, which was added to his finishing time (despite his being retired and not classified in the race).
- ^2 – Felipe Nasr received a 10-second penalty for causing a collision with Jolyon Palmer, which, unlike Kvyat's penalty, was not added to his finishing time.
Championship standings after the raceEdit
- Note: Only the top five positions are included for both sets of standings.
- "Monza". Formula1.com. Formula One World Championship Limited. 2016. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- Mitchell, Malcolm. "2016 Formula 1 World Championship Programmes - The Motor Racing Programme Covers Project". www.progcovers.com.
- Mitchell, Malcolm. "Monza - The Motor Racing Programme Covers Project". www.progcovers.com.
- "F1 attendance figures hit four million in 2017". www.formula1.com.
- "Italian Grand Prix technical preview". Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- "Formula 1 Gran Premio Heineken d'Italia 2016 – Qualifying". formula1.com. Formula One World Championship Limited. 3 September 2016. Archived from the original on 3 September 2016. Retrieved 28 March 2017.
- "2016 Italian Grand Prix Race – Official Classification". FIA.com. Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile. 4 September 2016. Archived from the original on 5 September 2016. Retrieved 9 September 2016.
- "Formula 1 Gran Premio Heineken d'Italia 2016 – Race Result". formula1.com. Formula One World Championship Limited. 4 September 2016. Retrieved 28 March 2017.
- "2016 Italian Grand Prix Race – Lap Analysis". FIA.com. Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile. 4 September 2016. Archived from the original on 10 September 2016. Retrieved 9 September 2016.
- "04.09 – Stewards Decision Doc 35 – D. Kvyat". FIA.com. Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA). 4 September 2016. Archived from the original on 10 September 2016. Retrieved 9 September 2016.
- "04.09 – Stewards Decision Doc 34 – F. Nasr". FIA.com. Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA). 4 September 2016. Archived from the original on 10 September 2016. Retrieved 9 September 2016.
- "Italy 2016 - Championship • STATS F1". www.statsf1.com. Retrieved 18 March 2019.