2016 Football League Championship play-off Final
The 2016 Football League Championship play-off Final was a football match contested between Sheffield Wednesday and Hull City. The match was played at Wembley Stadium on 28 May 2016 at 17:00. Hull City won 1–0 after a Mohamed Diamé goal in the 72nd minute, and was therefore promoted to the Premier League for the next season. Success in the final was estimated to be worth up to £170 million to the winning team.
|Event||2015–16 Football League Championship|
|Date||28 May 2016|
|Venue||Wembley Stadium, London|
|Man of the Match||Mohamed Diamé (Hull City)|
Route to the finalEdit
Note: In all results below, the score of the finalist is given first (H: home; A: away).
|Hull City||Round||Sheffield Wednesday|
|Championship 4th-placed team
|Championship||Championship 6th-placed team
|Opponent||Agg||1st leg||2nd leg||Play-offs||Opponent||Agg||1st leg||2nd leg|
|Derby County||3–2||3–0 (A)||0–2 (H)||Semi-finals||Brighton & Hove Albion||3–1||2–0 (H)||1–1 (A)|
Hull City were allocated 38,956 tickets for the final with prices ranging from £36 to £98. They failed to sell their full allocation of tickets due to supporter segregation and an ongoing boycott against the Allam family ownership from many fans.
|Hull City||1–0||Sheffield Wednesday|
|Statistic||Hull City||Sheffield Wednesday|
|Shots on target||4||3|
- "Hull City 1–0 Sheffield Wednesday". BBC Sport. 28 May 2016. Retrieved 29 May 2016.
- "Championship play-off final: Hull City will face Sheffield Wednesday for a place in the Premier League". London Evening Standard. 17 May 2016. Retrieved 18 May 2016.
- "Sheffield Wednesday into Championship playoff final". Eurosport UK. 16 May 2016. Retrieved 18 May 2016.
- "Hull City tickets for Wembley play-off final going on general sale". Hull Daily Mail. 20 May 2016. Retrieved 21 May 2016.[permanent dead link]
- "Championship play-off final". BBC Sport. 28 May 2016. Retrieved 28 May 2016.
- "The Teams". Sky Sports. 28 May 2016. Retrieved 28 May 2016.
- Riach, James (28 May 2016). "Mohamed Diamé guides Hull to Premier League past Sheffield Wednesday". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 29 May 2016.