2016 All-Australian team
The 2016 Virgin Australia All-Australian team represents the best performed Australian Football League (AFL) players during the 2016 season. It was announced on 1 September as a complete Australian rules football team of 22 players. The team is honorary and does not play any games.
The selection panel for the 2016 All-Australian team consisted of chairman Gillon McLachlan, Kevin Bartlett, Luke Darcy, Mark Evans, Danny Frawley, Glen Jakovich, Cameron Ling, Matthew Richardson and Warren Tredrea.
Minor premiers Sydney had the most selections with five. Geelong captain, Joel Selwood, was announced as the All-Australian captain, with Adelaide midfielder, Rory Sloane, announced as the vice-captain. The team saw nine players selected in an All-Australian side for the first time in their careers.
|2016 All-Australian team|
|B:||Dane Rampe (Sydney)||Alex Rance (Richmond)||Jeremy McGovern (West Coast)|
|HB:||Heath Shaw (Greater Western Sydney)||Daniel Talia (Adelaide)||Corey Enright (Geelong)|
|C:||Dan Hannebery (Sydney)||Josh Kennedy (Sydney)||Rory Sloane (Adelaide) (vice-captain)|
|HF:||Toby Greene (Greater Western Sydney)||Lance Franklin (Sydney)||Cyril Rioli (Hawthorn)|
|F:||Eddie Betts (Adelaide)||Josh Kennedy (West Coast)||Tom Lynch (Gold Coast)|
|Foll:||Max Gawn (Melbourne)||Patrick Dangerfield (Geelong)||Joel Selwood (Geelong) (captain)|
|Int:||Marcus Bontempelli (Western Bulldogs)||Luke Parker (Sydney)||Dustin Martin (Richmond)|
|Matthew Boyd (Western Bulldogs)|
|Coach:||Luke Beveridge (Western Bulldogs)|
Note: the position of coach in the All-Australian team is traditionally awarded to the coach of the premiership team.
The initial 40-man squad was announced on 29 August. Adelaide had the most nominations with six, while the two Sydney clubs, Sydney and Greater Western Sydney, had five nominations each. The two worst-performed teams during the season, the Brisbane Lions and Essendon, were the only clubs not to receive a nomination.
- Adelaide: Eddie Betts, Josh Jenkins, Rory Laird, Tom Lynch, Rory Sloane, Daniel Talia
- Brisbane Lions: N/A
- Carlton: Sam Docherty, Kade Simpson
- Collingwood: Scott Pendlebury, Adam Treloar
- Essendon: N/A
- Fremantle: Lachie Neale
- Geelong: Patrick Dangerfield, Corey Enright, Joel Selwood
- Gold Coast: Tom Lynch
- Greater Western Sydney: Stephen Coniglio, Toby Greene, Tom Scully, Heath Shaw, Callan Ward
- Hawthorn: Jack Gunston, Sam Mitchell, Cyril Rioli
- Melbourne: Max Gawn
- North Melbourne: Robbie Tarrant
- Port Adelaide: Jasper Pittard
- Richmond: Dustin Martin, Alex Rance
- St Kilda: Jack Steven
- Sydney: Lance Franklin, Dan Hannebery, Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker, Dane Rampe
- West Coast: Andrew Gaff, Josh Kennedy, Jeremy McGovern, Luke Shuey
- Western Bulldogs: Marcus Bontempelli, Matthew Boyd
- Schmook, Nathan (29 August 2016). "AFL All Australian 40-man squad named". AFL.com.au. Telstra Media. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- Schmook, Nathan (1 September 2016). "All Australian: Five Swans in 2016's best 22". AFL.com.au. Telstra Media. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- "The 2016 All-Australian Team Has Been Announced". Triple M. 1 September 2016. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- Beveridge, Riley (29 August 2016). "All-Australian 40-man squad announced". Fox Sports (Australia). News Corp Australia. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- Olle, Sarah (29 August 2016). "The five players unlucky to miss out on the All-Australian 40-man squad". Fox Sports (Australia). News Corp Australia. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
|This Australian rules football-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|