2015 Spanish Embassy attack in Kabul
On December 11, 2015, Taliban militants detonated a car bomb and stormed a guesthouse near the Spanish embassy in the Shirpour district of Kabul, Afghanistan—home to many foreign embassies and high-ranking government officials. Nine people died in the attack, including four Afghans, two Spanish guards and three Taliban fighters. Security forces, including Norwegian special forces took more than ten hours to bring the area back under control.
|2015 Spanish Embassy attack in Kabul|
|Location||Shir Pur, Kabul, Afghanistan|
|Date||December 11, 2015|
|Suicide bombing, Raid|
|Deaths||9 (including 3 perpetrators)|
In October 2016, a member of the Norwegian Marinejegerkommandoen was awarded a medal for saving lives of Spanish diplomats during the incident. The soldier was shot three times during the incident. The medal was handed out at the Spanish embassy in Oslo, Norway by the Spanish ambassador to Norway.
- "Spanish embassy attack in Kabul: Special forces at scene". BBC. 11 December 2015. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- "Spain: Gunmen Entered Embassy in Kabul After Car Bomb Attack". ABC News. 11 December 2015. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- "Two Spanish policeman killed in Taliban attack near Kabul embassy". The Local. 11 December 2015. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- "Afghan forces end siege at Spanish embassy in Kabul". Reuters. 11 December 2015. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- "Taliban claims car bomb attack near Spanish Embassy in Kabul". Aljazeera America. 11 December 2015. Retrieved 11 December 2015.
- "Spain's embassy in Afghanistan is under attack". Business Insider. 11 December 2015. Retrieved 11 December 2015.