2015 MLS All-Star Game
The 2015 Major League Soccer All-Star Game, the 20th annual Major League Soccer All-Star Game, took place on July 29, 2015 (9 p.m. EDT, 7 p.m. local time) at Dick's Sporting Goods Park in the Denver suburb of Commerce City, Colorado, the home of the Colorado Rapids. The game was televised live on Fox Sports 1 and UniMás in the United States, and TSN and RDS in Canada.
|AT&T All-Star Colorado '15|
|Event||2015 Major League Soccer season|
|Date||July 29, 2015|
|Venue||Dick's Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City, Colorado|
|Most Valuable Player||Kaká (MLS All-Stars)|
|Referee||Ismail Elfath (United States)|
As of July 29, 2015 Note: Flags indicate national team as defined under FIFA eligibility rules. Players may hold more than one non-FIFA nationality.
- a 2015 MLS All-Star Fan XI.
- b Selected by All-Star coach Pablo Mastroeni of the Colorado Rapids.
- c Selected by MLS Commissioner Don Garber
- d Injured or otherwise unable to play.
- e Replacement for player who is injured or otherwise unable to play.
The league commissioner Don Garber used his two picks to select two players who had never played a single minute in MLS at the time of selection in the two former England internationals Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard who had only officially joined the league on July 8. This provoked outrage from fans, the media and other players, the league eventually agreed to select two extra players to be given all-star bonuses.
The league's top scorer, Kei Kamara, was omitted from the Fan XI and responded by saying "It's simple as it goes: you're either a U.S. national team player or you're a DP to be on there. I'm neither one of those. If I get called up, I'll be lucky." The top 10 in the fan vote included 8 players who have represented the US national team alongside Kaká and David Villa with Nigerian international Obafemi Martins also being selected via virtual performances in FIFA 15.
On July 27 Tottenham Hotspur announced a 25-man traveling squad for the MLS All-Star game:
Note: Flags indicate national team as defined under FIFA eligibility rules. Players may hold more than one non-FIFA nationality.
|MLS All-Stars||2–1||Tottenham Hotspur|
|Kaká 20' (pen.)
- "EPL club Tottenham Hotspur announced as opponents for 2015 AT&T MLS All-Star Game" (Press release). Major League Soccer. April 15, 2015. Retrieved April 15, 2015.
- "MLS All-Stars 2-1 Tottenham: Kaka and David Villa inspire victory as Harry Kane scores consolation for Mauricio Pochettino's men". Daily Mail. July 29, 2015. Retrieved July 30, 2015.
- "All-Star: The post-game celebration turned into a love fest for 2015 MVP Kaká". MLSsoccer.com.[permanent dead link]
- "Newcomers David Villa, Kaka join US national team veterans on 2015 AT&T MLS All-Star Game Fan XI". July 13, 2015.
- "Sebastian Giovinco, Kei Kamara among 22 players named to 2015 AT&T MLS All-Star Game roster". July 18, 2015.
- "Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard selected as Commissioner's picks for AT&T MLS All-Star Game". July 13, 2015.
- "Dax McCarty replaces injured Frank Lampard as Commissioner's Pick for AT&T MLS All-Star Game". July 25, 2015.
- "All-Star: Pablo Mastroeni makes five additions to roster as Keane, Gerrard, Bradley, Tierney withdraw". July 28, 2015.
- "Toronto FC's Sebastian Giovinco ruled out of All-Star Game by injury, replaced by teammate Jozy Altidore". July 29, 2015.
- "Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard selections for MLS All-Star Game 2015 make perfect sense". Telegraph.co.uk. July 14, 2015.
- "MLS players snipe at Gerrard, Lampard all-star picks - Sport". Jamaica Observer.
- "The curious case of Gerrard, Lampard and the MLS All-Star Game". Back Page Football.
- Mike DeCourcy. "Commissioner makes joke of MLS All-Star Game by choosing Gerrard, Lampard". Sporting News.
- "Lampard and Gerrard among MLS All-Star selections - ESPN FC". ESPNFC.com.
- "MLS leading scorer Kei Kamara comments on Fan XI snub: "You're either a US player or a DP to be on there"". MLSsoccer.com.
- "MLS ALL-STARS MATCH SQUAD". tottenhamhotspur.com. July 27, 2015.
- All-Star: Kaká wins AT&T MLS All-Star Game MVP after notching goal, assist in 2-1 win vs. Tottenham, MLSsoccer.com, July 29, 2015
- "All-Star: PRO assigns Ismail Elfath to referee Wednesday's AT&T MLS All-Star Game in Colorado". MLSsoccer.com. July 27, 2015.