2015 American League Wild Card Game
The 2015 American League Wild Card Game was a play-in game during Major League Baseball's (MLB) 2015 postseason played between the American League's (AL) two wild card teams, the New York Yankees and the Houston Astros. It was held at Yankee Stadium on October 6, 2015.
|Date||October 6, 2015|
|City||The Bronx, New York|
|Umpires||Ted Barrett (crew chief), Eric Cooper, Paul Emmel, Bill Miller, Chris Conroy, Manny Gonzalez|
|TV announcers||Dan Shulman, John Kruk, Jessica Mendoza, Buster Olney, and Tim Kurkjian|
|Radio announcers||Dave O'Brien and Aaron Boone|
The Yankees clinched a wild card berth on October 1, while the Astros clinched a wild card berth on October 4, the final day of the regular season. The Yankees hosted the game, as they finished the regular season with a better win-loss record. This was the Astros' first postseason appearance as an American League team, and first overall since 2005, while the Yankees appeared in the postseason for the first time since 2012. As such, this was the first postseason meeting between the Astros and the Yankees. It was also the Astros' first playoff win since Game 6 of the 2005 National League Championship Series and their first ever victory in a winner-take-all postseason game. This game was also the Astros' first postseason game and win as a member of the AL. In addition, with the Yankees being the first to be eliminated, all four remaining teams in the ALDS were expansion teams.
The Astros defeated the Yankees, 3–0.
|New York Yankees||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||3||0|
|WP: Dallas Keuchel (1–0) LP: Masahiro Tanaka (0–1) Sv: Luke Gregerson (1)
HOU: Colby Rasmus (1), Carlos Gómez (1)
Houston's Dallas Keuchel struck out seven batters and allowed only three hits in six innings of work, and the Astros' bullpen then retired nine of ten Yankee batters for the victory. The Astros were paced offensively by leadoff home runs by Colby Rasmus in the second inning and Carlos Gómez in the fourth, as New York starter Masahiro Tanaka struggled to find command of his pitches. Tanaka lasted five innings, striking out three.
- Newman, Mark (September 24, 2015). "2015 Postseason Schedule". mlb.com. MLB Advanced Media, LP. Retrieved October 1, 2015.
- Witz, Billy (October 1, 2015). "Yankees Hold On to Clinch Wild Card". The New York Times. The New York Times Company. Retrieved October 1, 2015.
- Dunsmore, Ryan (October 4, 2015). "2015 MLB Playoffs: Astros clinch American League Wild Card spot". sbnation.com. Vox Media, Inc. Retrieved October 6, 2015.
- Lemire, Joe (October 6, 2015). "AL wild card capsule: Astros vs. Yankees". USA Today. New York City: Gannett Satellite Information Network, Inc. Retrieved October 6, 2015.
- "Dallas Keuchel, Astros shut out Yankees to advance to ALDS". ESPN News Services. New York City: ESPN Internet Ventures. Associated Press. October 7, 2015. Retrieved October 7, 2015.
- Hoch, Bryan; McTaggart, Brian (October 7, 2015). "Dallas, Houston KO Yankees". mlb.com. MLB Advanced Media, LP. Retrieved October 7, 2015.
- Witz, Billy (October 7, 2015). "Astros' Dallas Keuchel Dominates as Yankees Skid Into Winter". The New York Times. The New York Times Company. Retrieved October 7, 2015.
- Lemire, Joe (October 7, 2015). "Dallas Keuchel, Astros look like playoff vets in eliminating Yankees". USA Today. New York City: Gannett Satellite Information Network, Inc. Retrieved October 7, 2015.