2014 Zandvoort Masters
The 2014 Zandvoort Masters was the 24th edition of the Masters of Formula 3 event, a non-championship race for cars that conform to Formula Three regulations. The event was held on 6 July 2014 at Circuit Park Zandvoort, in Zandvoort, North Holland; it was the 22nd time that the circuit held the event.
|Date||6 July 2014|
|Official name||Masters of Formula 3|
|Location||Circuit Park Zandvoort, Netherlands|
|Course||4.307 km (2.676 mi)|
|Distance||25 laps, 107.675 km (66.906 mi)|
|Time||1:34.228 (on lap 8 of 25)|
|Second||Steijn Schothorst||Performance Racing|
Motopark driver Max Verstappen – the son of 1993 winner and former Formula One driver, Jos Verstappen – started from pole position, and led every lap en route to becoming the youngest winner in the race's history, aged 16. Verstappen won by six seconds on the road from Jules Szymkowiak, his Van Amersfoort Racing teammate in the FIA European Formula 3 Championship. However, Szymkowiak was given a 20-second penalty post-race after a first-corner incident with Sam MacLeod, the team's German Formula Three Championship driver, which dropped him to fifth place. This promoted Performance Racing's Steijn Schothorst, on his Formula Three début, into second place, and Motopark's Nabil Jeffri into third place.
Drivers and teamsEdit
Eleven drivers from seven countries contested the 2014 Zandvoort Masters; four drivers represented the German Formula Three Championship, with three each from the FIA European Formula 3 Championship and the British Formula 3 Championship. Steijn Schothorst completed the field, competing in his first Formula Three race with Performance Racing, stepping up from the Formula Renault Eurocup.
The Zandvoort Masters was first contested in 1991 as a one-off international meeting with drivers from all the major national Formula Three championships invited to compete. The race was considered a stepping stone to higher racing categories such as Formula One and it returned the Circuit Zandvoort to international recognition after the series stopped holding events at the track at the end of the 1985 season. It later took over from the Monaco Grand Prix Formula Three support race as the most prestigious meeting in European Formula Three. Circuit Zolder hosted the 2007 and 2008 editions due to noise restrictions imposed by the Supreme Court of the Netherlands in the Zandvoort area. The Masters of Formula 3 returned to Zandvoort in 2009 and it continued to hold it until its last iteration in 2016 due to calendar changes for the track and FIA Formula Three European Championship regulations probiting any racing activity prior the round in the same area.
|Motopark||1||Max Verstappen||Dallara F311||Volkswagen||FIA European Formula 3 Championship|
|2||Indy Dontje||German Formula Three Championship|
|Van Amersfoort Racing||5||Jules Szymkowiak||Dallara F308||Volkswagen||FIA European Formula 3 Championship|
|6||Sam MacLeod||German Formula Three Championship|
|Double R Racing||7||Dennis van de Laar||Dallara F308||Mercedes||FIA European Formula 3 Championship|
|8||Andy Chang||Dallara F312||British Formula 3 Championship|
|Fortec Motorsports||10||Martin Cao||Dallara F312||Mercedes||British Formula 3 Championship|
|ADM Motorsport||17||Nikita Zlobin||Dallara F311||Volkswagen||German Formula Three Championship|
|Performance Racing||20||Steijn Schothorst||Dallara F310||Volkswagen||Eurocup Formula Renault 2.0|
Two qualifying sessions were held for the event, with the driver's fastest lap from either session, counting towards their respective grid position.
|2||6||Sam MacLeod||Van Amersfoort Racing||1:49.329||1:33.248|
|4||20||Steijn Schothorst||Performance Racing||1:50.636||1:33.481|
|5||5||Jules Szymkowiak||Van Amersfoort Racing||1:47.495||1:33.553|
|7||8||Andy Chang||Double R Racing||1:51.248||1:33.834|
|8||7||Dennis van de Laar||Double R Racing||1:49.461||1:33.992|
|9||10||Martin Cao||Fortec Motorsports||1:51.223||1:34.108|
|10||9||Camren Kaminsky||Double R Racing||1:50.379||1:34.831|
|11||17||Nikita Zlobin||ADM Motorsport||4:48.374||1:34.909|
|2||20||Steijn Schothorst||Performance Racing||25||+9.779||4|
|5||6||Jules Szymkowiak||Van Amersfoort Racing||25||+26.330||5|
|6||10||Martin Cao||Fortec Motorsports||25||+28.602||9|
|7||17||Nikita Zlobin||ADM Motorsport||25||+29.345||11|
|8||7||Dennis van de Laar||Double R Racing||25||+29.488||8|
|9||9||Camren Kaminsky||Double R Racing||25||+32.521||10|
|10||8||Andy Chang||Double R Racing||25||+35.030||7|
|Ret||5||Sam MacLeod||Van Amersfoort Racing||0||Retired||2|
|Fastest lap: Indy Dontje, 1:34.228, 164.549 km/h (102.246 mph) on lap 8|
- Allen, Peter (6 July 2014). "Max Verstappen secures Zandvoort Masters victory". Paddock Scout. Retrieved 10 July 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Watkins, Gary (5 July 2014). "Max Verstappen snatches pole late on". Autosport. Haymarket Publications. Retrieved 2 November 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Watkins, Gary (6 July 2014). "Max Verstappen dominates race". Autosport. Haymarket Publications. Retrieved 2 November 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Watkins, Gary (6 July 2014). "Jules Szymkowiak demoted from second to fifth". Autosport. Haymarket Publications. Retrieved 2 November 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Circuit Zandvoort to host FIA Historic Formula 3 European Cup". Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile. 9 January 2018. Archived from the original on 12 October 2018. Retrieved 12 October 2018.
- Dijkman, Coo (16 August 1991). "Formule 3-Masters strijden op Zandvoort om de eer". De Telegraaf (in Dutch). p. T19. Archived from the original on 12 October 2018. Retrieved 12 October 2018 – via Delpher.
- van der Klist, Hans (6 August 1998). "Formule 3-rijders strijden zondag op circuit Zandvoort". de Volkskrant (in Dutch). Archived from the original on 12 October 2018. Retrieved 12 October 2018.
- "Masters of Formula Three Return to Zandvoort". TyrePress. 27 January 2009. Archived from the original on 12 October 2018. Retrieved 12 October 2018.
- Simmons, Marcus (21 April 2017). "Masters of F3 race won't be held in 2017". Motorsport.com. Archived from the original on 12 October 2018. Retrieved 21 April 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Allen, Peter (5 July 2014). "Max Verstappen secures Zandvoort Masters pole". Paddock Scout. Retrieved 10 July 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Original Zeitnahme" (PDF) (in German). www.formel 3 guide.com. 6 July 2014. Retrieved 10 July 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)